• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P. DC Comics

39 posts in this topic

(shrug) Regardless, I thought it may be of more interest than another "That ebay seller is a boob!" or "What scanner should I buy?" thread.

It is interesting because a name used to mean something.

In this new world a name no longer carries any value. I noticed this first when I realized that GM, Chrysler and Ford started selling the exact same model car under different model names. I mean how stupid is that? It's basically the same car.

Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge

GM/Saab/Pontiac/Chevy/Buick

Ford/Jaguar/Mazda

What matters now is only the dollars behind the "name" and the dollars after the "name".

If one were to stand behind their "name" they would have to offer a product that offers superiority over their competitors, back certain principles regardless of the outcome and all in all offer a quality product to uphold the image of their name.

For all any of these CEO's care any more DC and Marvel could be the same company...as long as they were profitable who would care?

I would (go figure).

It's all leading to conglomeration of everything. It really is going to be the only way to stay profitable and it's coming in every walk of life. Just like a falling water drop is the most aerodynamic shape a form can take, businesses must also join to streamline their costs, reduce overhead and increase profits.

I see the loss of a name as a sad thing really.

R.

(shrug) Regardless, I thought it may be of more interest than another "That ebay seller is a boob!" or "What scanner should I buy?" thread.

It is interesting because a name used to mean something.

In this new world a name no longer carries any value. I noticed this first when I realized that GM, Chrysler and Ford started selling the exact same model car under different model names. I mean how stupid is that? It's basically the same car.

Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge

GM/Saab/Pontiac/Chevy/Buick

Ford/Jaguar/Mazda

What matters now is only the dollars behind the "name" and the dollars after the "name".

If one were to stand behind their "name" they would have to offer a product that offers superiority over their competitors, back certain principles regardless of the outcome and all in all offer a quality product to uphold the image of their name.

For all any of these CEO's care any more DC and Marvel could be the same company...as long as they were profitable who would care?

I would (go figure).

It's all leading to conglomeration of everything. It really is the going to be the only way to stay profitable and it's coming in every walk of life. Just like a falling water drop is the most aerodynamic shape a form can take, businesses must also join to streamline their costs, reduce overhead and increase profits.

I say the loss of a name as a sad things really.

R.

I'm impressed that you found the effort to pontificate about this. Surely blanket corporatization is old news - welcome to the 21st century, Roy.

Next time wait till I fix my spelling mistakes before you quote me.

I know blanket corporatization is old news, dawg. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it 2, 20 or 50 years later.

He just asked how people felt about it and I answered.

I think competition is good, conglomeration is bad and people should be able to choose between the two.

I also think wearing a seat belt when in a car by myself should be a choice, choosing my nutritional supplements should be a choice and how cracking out my comics should be my choice but I guess the collective voice is unstoppable, even if they are not right.

R.

I also think wearing a seat belt when in a car by myself should be a choice, choosing my nutritional supplements should be a choice and how cracking out my comics should be my choice but I guess the collective voice is unstoppable, even if they are not right.

R.

geritol.jpgmetamucil_11484_4_(big)_.jpg

I know blanket corporatization is old news, dawg. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it 2, 20 or 50 years later.

I think competition is good, conglomeration is bad and people should be able to choose between the two.

R.

"Wait till I fix my spelling mistakes before you quote me"???? Err, how long should I wait for your spellcheck, milord??? Hey, it's my choice to quote when I want to, dammit. You telling me what to do?????????;)

Anyway, your last paragraph is what democracy is all about. I think you're being a bit too defensive regarding what you perceive to be a "collective voice", btw. I don't think anyone here is claiming that their point of view is the concensus, and if they are, well, whatever.

And as for choosing between competition and conglomeration, your point is self-evident. You're preaching to the choir here.

R.

"Wait till I fix my spelling mistakes before you quote me"???? Err, how long should I wait for your spellcheck, milord??? Hey, it's my choice to quote when I want to, dammit. You telling me what to do?????????;)

Anyway, your last paragraph is what democracy is all about. I think you're being a bit too defensive regarding what you perceive to be a "collective voice", btw. I don't think anyone here is claiming that their point of view is the concensus, and if they are, well, whatever.

And as for choosing between competition and conglomeration, your point is self-evident. You're preaching to the choir here.

His last paragraph is what conservatism is all about...there's a difference ;)

It's nice to occasionally hear him make some sense though, even if he is preaching to the choir. :whistle:

????

I think this was a compliment....but why is my cheek so red?

Another thing.

The consumer has to accept some responsibility for blanket corporatization as well. Most people are not willing to pay a fair price for a fair service or commodity. In our constant quest to get as cheap as possible we encourage this type of corporate behavior.

Personally, I've stopped nit picking prices, buy quality items and pay what I think is a fair price. I refuse to live off of $5 take out when I know it's bad for me. Hopefully this helps keep the mom and pop, brick and morter set ups running with the quality products and services that they provide.

(thumbs u

Sorry to pontificate but just throwing out my 2c

Liberty. :cloud9:

It's being taken away, one option at a time.

:cry:

It's being taken away, one option at a time.

:cry:

Write a letter to the Queen. :baiting: