• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would This Grade Out?

13 posts in this topic

I have several copies of Detective Comics #700 variant, the one that came in the cardboard slipcase. The nicest copy I have of both the book and the slipcase is a Dynamic Forces edition signed by Graham Nolan, Chuck Dixon and Scott Hannah.

Tec700.jpg

I had a few thoughts on submitting this book:

Would CGC actually encapsulate the book in the cardboard sleeve?

If so, would it grade out as a Qualified seeing as the sigs are on the case and not on the book?

I know I could easily swap the nicer book out into another slipcase, but that slipcase pictured is in the best condition and I'm fed up of buying that issue now! It would be nice to get a blue label with that slipcase showing the sigs, but I just don't know if CGC would go for that considering the book is untouched.

Plus if they wouldn't encapsulate the slipcase I wouldn't get it slabbed anyway as it's only the front of the case I like looking at.

I have several copies of Detective Comics #700 variant, the one that came in the cardboard slipcase. The nicest copy I have of both the book and the slipcase is a Dynamic Forces edition signed by Graham Nolan, Chuck Dixon and Scott Hannah.

Tec700.jpg

I had a few thoughts on submitting this book:

Would CGC actually encapsulate the book in the cardboard sleeve?

If so, would it grade out as a Qualified seeing as the sigs are on the case and not on the book?

I know I could easily swap the nicer book out into another slipcase, but that slipcase pictured is in the best condition and I'm fed up of buying that issue now! It would be nice to get a blue label with that slipcase showing the sigs, but I just don't know if CGC would go for that considering the book is untouched.

Plus if they wouldn't encapsulate the slipcase I wouldn't get it slabbed anyway as it's only the front of the case I like looking at.

CGC won't encapsulate the slipcase - it would be taken out & graded just like any other book.

Cheers Mike. I knew they did that with polybagged books but didn't know whether they'd encapsulate the slipcase as you can actually remove the book from it to read it then put it back.

Cheers Mike. I knew they did that with polybagged books but didn't know whether they'd encapsulate the slipcase as you can actually remove the book from it to read it then put it back.

Yeah, CGC doesn't discriminate, really - if the comic book is inside something else (polybag, slipcase, PGX slab, sealed Dynamic Forces mylar, etc) it will be taken out before grading. They'll toss the bag as well, so if you're going to get this graded, you might want to hang on to the slipcase & not include it with the book.

Well seeing as it was only the slipcase I wanted in there I won't be subbing it. That book just brings back some good memories from when I first bought it and I thought it looked really nice with those sigs.

I knew CGC didn't encapsulate polybags and mylars but wasn't too sure about slipcases as they didn't seal the book in making it unreadable. I'll just get it framed intead and sub a different copy.

Cheers for the info guys (thumbs u

It looks like its in pretty good condition, meaning a 9.4-9.6 If you want a blue label be prepared to have them knock the s h i t out of the grade.

I think it would grade out a 9.6 (both the book and the slipcase) even if the case had been included.

I wondered about the blue label as I know internal sigs have been given 9.8 blue labels, so if the slipcase had been considered for grading would it receive a blue label as the sigs weren't actually on the cover of the book.

All hypothetical though I suppose really. Would people actually like slipcased books encapsulated?

Green label most likely. I would leave it as is.

Find me a 700 that will get a 9.8 I need one still (thumbs u

I've got aout 12 copies of it, I'll dig through and see what I can find...