• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people say comic collectors are crazy ?!

23 posts in this topic

Rumor on the street is that ebay was started by a guy who created it so his wife would have somewhere to sell/trade her Pez dispensers. And now he's worth what, $2-3 bil? Just think of all the comics that'll buy him come 1/1/2004!! 893whatthe.gif

And those aren't even super-heroe Pez (Pezes?)!?!? I know there's an economic theory in there somewhere about demographics and the aging Pez collector population, but I'll just wait to delineate it until after I unload this bad boy to the sheep, whatcha think I can get for it?

hulkpez.jpg

So, how do they stand up without the feet? Or were they not supposed to stand up before?

Brian

Well, considering they were wedding favors, I would assume they lie head to foot, and the groom dispenses Pez from his trousers.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I'm sure they do!! And honestly, $2000?? Yeah, sure, it's about $1999 more than I would pay but big deal. It's really not that much money relative to the price of other collectibles... to own an "Action 1" of pezdom...

You could spend that much on Darth's 10.0 origin 1, for god's sake.. think of what pez collectors must think of that... $2K for a common book that's a couple years old.. You could also spend almost that much on a single piece of 1980s memorabilia... the very top GI Joe/Transformer/Robotech items might be creeping into that range... certainly from what I understand MISB uss flagg, fortress maximus, certain popy diecast toys and/or certain taketoku veritechs would be all be $1K+ MISB...

Honestly, I would think there are very few pop culture collectibles where the going rate of the top items is only $2k.. relatively speaking, it's peanuts. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm always amazed at the mentality of collectors. Many of them will not hesitate to call any other hobby "crazy", except their own. You would think there would be more understanding for fellow collectors, even if their hobbies differ.

A collector is a collector, regardless of what you collect. We're all crazy to an extent, and we're all sane in the sense that we have our personal reasons for our hobby. But pointing to other collectors, and calling them "nuts" is like one prison inmate calling another a criminal.

27_laughing.gif i used to collect pez! nutty hobby is more of an affectionate term for the collectors. They are the single most intent & "gaga" group of collectors i have ever met. Variation hounds to the tiniest degree, that make comic variation collectors look tame. They are nutty! Sure i think some of the high end pieces are over priced, but i think that about some high end comics too. Nutty does not mean they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons confused-smiley-013.gif

Well... coin collectors are no different. The coin can be worth huge multiples just because of a tiny letter denoting the mint as "denver" or whatever...

come to think of it, that's no different than the whackjobs (sorry guys but you deserve it grin.gif ) that collect marvel price variants. The only difference is the price, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

As for the pez collectors being intense, I wonder if that's just a byproduct of it not being as mainstream a hobby. To draw a parallel, I collect factory sealed NES (I've mentioned it before 893blahblah.gif ) and that isn't really mainstream yet either... and the collectors are HARDCORE. More backstabbing and manipulation than you can shake a stick at!! 893whatthe.gif Every day is like that Ian_Levine vs. Metro thread!! insane.gif

More backstabbing and manipulation than you can shake a stick at!! 893whatthe.gif Every day is like that Ian_Levine vs. Metro thread!! insane.gif

That whole thread made me think of the "Comic Book Villains" movie, and boy, would I like to be a fly on the wall during setup for any of the big shows when that old timer walks in the door with his cartful of "virgin" golden and silver age books! I'm sure some of the dealers here can tell us some rather, uh, interesting stories about their efforts to procure new collections that enter the market...the phone calls, the threats, the back-stabbing and deal-making that goes down. U-G-L-Y!!