• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ontario residents, no more US comics for us!!!

53 posts in this topic

Because consumption taxes are worse for poor people than rich people. The poorer you are the higher percentage of your income you have to spend to survive. The more you make the more you have the option to save.

Bruce

I know consuption taxes are regressive but it is still not fair. I recall when I got my first banking bonus in Canda I had 51% of it withheld by my employer since I was in the top marginal bracket. I thought I was getting an $85,000 bonus but I got only $44,000. Even though I was only 21 it did not take me long to figure out that I wanted to be elsewhere. If I am going to work I want it to be for me and my family not the government. Hence why I left Canda and moved to London and then NYC and then HK, each time lowering my taxes.

I will tell Stockwell Day the same thing when I eat with him when he is through Hong Kong in April. I have met three premiers in the last two years and not one has been able to answer my question "Why would I go back to Canada?" when I have asked them it. It's sad but almost all the top students from I went to undergrad with at Queen's only worked in Canada a few years before running off to places like Hrvard, Standford, Wharton, etc to get a MBA and now work outside the country. We all love Canada but see no reason why we should be taxed to death. It's a huge brain drain (myself excluded for which Canada is just happy to be rid of)

Wow, just what we need in a near-depression environment, more taxes. doh!

All this will cause me to do is spend less and due to overall economic uncertainty, my expenditures are already dropping like a rock.

Wow, just what we need in a near-depression environment, more taxes. doh!

All this will cause me to do is spend less and due to overall economic uncertainty, my expenditures are already dropping like a rock.

No, all this will do is force even more people to trade underground.

:screwy:

It's almost like everybody is being set up for an economic failure...wait a sec that's what my friend has been telling me for years!

hm

Comic Books = Books

If books are exempt, then comics are too. I had customs charge me PST on comics a couple of times....appealed and got my money refunded both times. (thumbs u

A comic book is more similar to a magazine as they both have ads. According to the gov't, comic books = books, (tsk) comic books = taxable goods.

Andy

PS. As an earlier poster mentioned, you could always have the customs label marked books. Disclaimer: I would never suggest that, though. :whistle:

No, comic books fall under the books category for customs. My packages are marked comic books by the seller and customs themselves mark it under books.

Only time I ever paid PST was when some genius at customs decided comic books were toys. I sent the paperwork showing it was a comic book and had the pst refunded.

Nothing underhanded about it....comic books are books, not magazines or toys...

Comic Books = Books

If books are exempt, then comics are too. I had customs charge me PST on comics a couple of times....appealed and got my money refunded both times. (thumbs u

A comic book is more similar to a magazine as they both have ads. According to the gov't, comic books = books, (tsk) comic books = taxable goods.

Andy

PS. As an earlier poster mentioned, you could always have the customs label marked books. Disclaimer: I would never suggest that, though. :whistle:

No, comic books fall under the books category for customs. My packages are marked comic books by the seller and customs themselves mark it under books.

Only time I ever paid PST was when some genius at customs decided comic books were toys. I sent the paperwork showing it was a comic book and had the pst refunded.

Well, I stand corrected then. (worship) I always figured since there were ads in the comic books that they would be considered periodicals.

Okey-dokey. ;)

Andy who sometimes doesn't know squat

Comic Books = Books

Andy

But as a saskatchewan Native dont you have different provincial tax rules?

Comic Books = Books

Andy

But as a saskatchewan Native dont you have different provincial tax rules?

Possibly, but if books are exempt in Ontario right now, then that part is the same.

Comic Books = Books

Andy

Well, I stand corrected then. (worship) I always figured since there were ads in the comic books that they would be considered periodicals.

Okey-dokey. ;)

Andy who sometimes doesn't know squat

:foryou:

I can see your point to. I'm just going by my own experiences.

Do you get charged PST when you buy new comics from the LCS? I don't...only GST.

:mad: I am STILL SO ANGRY!!!!

I live in Ottawa and grrrrrrrrrrr boyoboy aaaaaaarrrrghhhhhh

piszed off

me too... :hi:

Just looking at my latest shipment (from WBC as it so happens) , it has a classification of "4904001000 comic books / Livres- pour enfants, d'image" on the affixed Postal Import Form. On a a value of over 300.00, I was charged 16.35 which is just GST. I never get charged PST.

What burns me the most is the 5.00 "handling Fee" on top of everything else that accompanies comments of "NOT OPENED" :pullhair:

In Quebec we have had both GST and PST for a long time. Canada Post collects both. I have noticed that some times nothing is charged so I asked at the post office. They said that nothing is charged on declared amounts less than $50 and then they start at varying points between $50 and $100 depending on the item (electronics get charged at lower declared values than other things).

Mike

:mad: I am STILL SO ANGRY!!!!

I live in Ottawa and grrrrrrrrrrr boyoboy aaaaaaarrrrghhhhhh

piszed off

me too... :hi:

Just looking at my latest shipment (from WBC as it so happens) , it has a classification of "4904001000 comic books / Livres- pour enfants, d'image" on the affixed Postal Import Form. On a a value of over 300.00, I was charged 16.35 which is just GST. I never get charged PST.

What burns me the most is the 5.00 "handling Fee" on top of everything else that accompanies comments of "NOT OPENED" :pullhair:

As a postman I collect that $5 fee. People hate it. If it makes you feel any better the $5 helps Canada Post balance our budget. meh Yes, I can tell, it doesn't make you feel better.