• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, I have to Come Clean...

29 posts in this topic

...since I have no problem ripping on Mile High Chuck, I guess I have to give kudos when they are warranted as well. foreheadslap.gif

Picked up 2 CGC graded Avengers from the 'coveted' MH II collection last week (#186 and Annual #9, both 9.4's). While the regular prices were obviously outta sight, he was running a 40% off sale, and when combined with his 30% off all comics sale (through the comic ads last month) and free shipping, it ended up being a decent deal indeed!

Very impressive shipping too - small box inside a larger Diamond shipping box with plenty of packing peanuts. Nothing was gonna harm these slabs smile.gif

I also took advantage of the multiple discounts and got some harder to find bronze comics for really cheap. That is the dichotomy with MH-without discounts they are the most expensive shop out there but with these extreme discounts they can be among the cheapest. BTW, they sold out of a few comics that I ordered so my total was under $40.00 yet I still got free shipping. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

so to get a decent deal you had to get 70% off... ? hmmm....

Scary, ain't it? smile.gif

What is funny is he doesn't allow for discounts on the DS collection, but I wouldn't touch most of those dogs even with a 90% discount! 893frustrated.gif

so to get a decent deal you had to get 70% off... ? hmmm....

Not to be a stickler, but...

If everything is already 30% off... (that is, the $100 books are already $70),

then if you get an additional 40% off... you pay 60% of $70...

and you pay $42 for the originally $100 book.

Even Chuck's amazing "70% combo sales" are really 58% off.

While the regular prices were obviously outta sight, he was running a 40% off sale, and when combined with his 30% off all comics sale (through the comic ads last month) and free shipping, it ended up being a decent deal indeed!

Let me know how this works (here or in PM) as there are some MH2 issues that may be interesting using that scenario.

Well, the problem is he ran the 40% off sale last week, and I don't know if he is running it this week. The 30% off is a special sale that runs until January for all comics, and is applied after all other sales are applied - then you have to enter the password (BARGAINS).

Actually, I just dug up Chuck's last newsletter, and here's the "sales" for this week:

All Silver Age Comics 40% Off

All Trade Paperbacks 20% Off

All Hardbacks 20% Off

All Statues 20% Off

All Back Issue Comics 30% Off

So I guess I need to get on Chuck's newsletter?

I was seriously looking over some of his CGC Byrne books, and thinking, if only that bugger lowered the prices a bit, I'd buy a few...

I think I'll try that codeword, and see how it works.

It seems that right now, there is 30% off, 30% BARGAINS, and free US shipping.

Now all I need is a guy in the US to buy me a few, and then mass ship them US Post Insured, as Chuckles uses some whacky private courier service for Canadian shipments, and those pinheads rack a $30-$50 customs/brokerage charge. 893frustrated.gif

Let me know what you want to buy. I could use the United Airlines miles on my Visa card.

Thanks Dude, and I'll skim over Chuck's site tomorrow, work the numbers and let you know.

I wish that Avengers 186 9.4 was still there, as it's one I'm not sure I have a potential CGC sub for. 893frustrated.gif

I was going to buy some ECs, but EVEN WITH THE 50% DISCOUNT, he's STILL 2X Guide for mid-Grade Shock Suspenstories. Je pense que non!

I know what you mean, but some of those $50-$60 CGC issues do work for me, especially if the centering and colors are nice.

I really wish that Chuck's Byrne MTU standard pricing wasn't into the stratosphere, as even with discount, it's a no go.

Am I really seeing some of these posts?!? After all the ripping we've done on Chuckles, one little sale sucks you over to the dark side? I'm aghast. How quickly we turn!

It's tough to find some CGC 9.4 and up Byrne books, simply because few people submit them. Chuck appears to have done a mass-submit of the MH2 books (or whatever they really are), and there's quite a few 9.4-9.6 copies on his site.

And yeah, I have looked them over previously, just to get an idea on the QP. makepoint.gif

Ahh, #186. Wanda rarely looked better... cloud9.gif

Sure, rub it in. 893frustrated.gif

One reason I had my eye on that comics was due to the killer cover colors and gloss. There are so many faded/low hue CGC books out there, that I'd rather go with a "deep pink/red" 9.4 copy anyday.

hey JC.... Im not picking on you, but explain this to me.

Youre looking seriously to buy CGC slabbed Byrne comics from the 80s (from Chuck no less) when you know deep deep in your heart that 1) 80s comics are as common as dirt, and

2) the CRASH is coming in 2004. (a few weeks away as we speak...when you can scoop them up for pennies!)

cmon, Jack.. get real. Stop being the harbinger of doom (not Valiant's Harbinger) and enjoty comics full-time like th erest of us.

cmon, Jack.. get real. Stop being the harbinger of doom (not Valiant's Harbinger) and enjoty comics full-time like th erest of us.

In fairness to JC, although 80's books are very common not a great deal of them end up at CGC. There are just no $$$ in them to justify the subs. So if you are looking to build a HG CGC set yourself (without the hassle of submitting your own raw copies) it is not as easy as some may think.