• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC what would it be?

176 posts in this topic

I know some people are going to jump on me for this but..You know what I'd really like? for CGC to have a totally seperate label, like a white label, for NO grade comics, for beaters, for already unverified signed comics, for comics with imperfection that we really don't care about grade, just for them to be slabbed, these would be the cheapest comics to slab..just the name of the comic, creative team and ..that's it!! The green labels are just awefull man, sometimes I just want to slab a comic w/o everything that goes with the grade...

hm not bad idea...

No grade? No resto check? Why not just mylar them with microchamber paper and save yourself the money? I'm not being a smartass, I'm honestly wondering why anyone would want to do this.

Some people use slabs for display, have you thought about that?..I mean.. I would not want to display a book in a Mylar.. the slab is sometimes practicall for that, it's not just about storing...just saying..

I would love to have the cost come down, but understand that they need to make their money too. I think stopping/limiting known resubbs would be great, but again it makes them money so I don't see so much restriction on this. The graders notes online I think would be my vote. They could have a box on the form you could mark if you didn't want the notes to be published, but other than that just have a quick line list with just the book number followed by notes, then people would have to track down their own numbers. Or even put in a quick search feature. But it would be nice to have the notes online. By the way, anyone know how long after a book is slabbed that you can call and get the notes?

Most of the important changes have already been noted like Online Grader Notes, faster turnaround times, have CGC locations outside the US, cheaper grading fees..etc...but...

I would like the letter grade put back on the label...unless the letter grade is now dying out. I like seeing 6.5 - FN+ on the book.

OSPG has both why not CGC, unless it appears the letter grade will be phased out in the future in the comic book world.

I for one have a problem sending high grade comics through the mail systems(UPS,FED EX,USPS)for fear that they would get crushed beyond recognition.I have never sent a book to be graded unless I was at a Con. that had onsite grading.I wish they had more offices,maybe Los Angeles,New York,Chicago that could cater to more walk in service.I have spoken to alot of collectors here in Southern California that feel this way.It's just hard sending your prized AF#15 in the mail and hope that it does'nt get lost,crushed or delivered to the wrong address.I know there is insurance,but It does'nt cover the emotional cost of the book. 2c

Some good ideas already posted - online graders notes is something I would definitely like to see, even if they charged for it. I'd gladly pay for it.

What I would like to see more than that though is International shipping fees brought more into line with what it actually costs. They charge $90 to ship between 11 and 20 books back to the UK, yet the Fed-Ex paperwork on the box shows it really costs $60 to ship back. This seems to me like the shipping policy of a greedy ebay seller, not a well respected company.

I have no problem with grading tier fees or paying for scans, they're all quality services which we are obliged to pay for if we want to utilise them. But return shipping should be at cost. CGC would definitely get more business from me if this was the case. But then again, what's it to them if over four submissions a year they take my $120 in grading fees or excess shipping (shrug)

Oh yeah, the excess shippng doesn't take any time or resources...

And a CGC division in the UK would be nice.

I for one have a problem sending high grade comics through the mail systems(UPS,FED EX,USPS)for fear that they would get crushed beyond recognition.I have never sent a book to be graded unless I was at a Con. that had onsite grading.I wish they had more offices,maybe Los Angeles,New York,Chicago that could cater to more walk in service.I have spoken to alot of collectors here in Southern California that feel this way.It's just hard sending your prized AF#15 in the mail and hope that it does'nt get lost,crushed or delivered to the wrong address.I know there is insurance,but It does'nt cover the emotional cost of the book. 2c

Yes, this very thing bothers me too. Dumping high grade #1 or key issues youve had for years and years makes me a nervous wreck hoping the mail system doesnt destroy them. More offices would be a great idea, especially in Chicago. :cloud9: The turnaround is also to long. How much time does anyone think it actually takes to grade a book? I always wonder that.

DRX

Graders' notes on line for all to view.

(worship)

Let me repeat it for posterity.

To put them online first you'd have to make the change to actually taking notes on all submissions. hm

"They [grader's notes] were shared with customers as a matter of courtesy or convenience, but they are not supplementary to the grade assigned by CGC. Graders notes were never a formal part of the service provided by CGC."

doh!

" A grader’s time can be better spent grading than recording notes, particularly when most notes (well over 95%) were never referenced by anyone - customer or grader."

meh

Yeah, sure, ok, but answering the phone all day for verbal inquiries isn't a time-consuming process? :screwy:

A "grade" without notes is like a book without pages. All title, no story.

Not sure if this was addressed.

When a new CGC-encased book arrives and the QA team missed that the case was scratched up or filthy, not only should the reholder fee be waved (they do this today), but CGC should also pay for the shipping both ways.

It hurts their brand when books come back like this. Plus it would be nice if the shipping is charged back to the QA team. This way, during periodic management reviews, it will show how frequently this is happening.

The process will be improved drastically when the additional expense is clearly displayed in a reholder/correction dashboard presentation how much this is costing the company, and how frequently it occurs.

Most of the important changes have already been noted like Online Grader Notes, faster turnaround times, have CGC locations outside the US, cheaper grading fees..etc...but...

I would like the letter grade put back on the label...unless the letter grade is now dying out. I like seeing 6.5 - FN+ on the book.

OSPG has both why not CGC, unless it appears the letter grade will be phased out in the future in the comic book world.

I agree. I also miss the letter grade on the books. The numerical grade just bugs me, and many folks have forgotten the letter grade equivalent or never even bothered to learn them.

Andy

I agree. I also miss the letter grade on the books. The numerical grade just bugs me, and many folks have forgotten the letter grade equivalent or never even bothered to learn them.

Andy

What letter like SP,AP,MP,EP ? :insane:

We will never see online graders notes because it would offer up what CGC considers to be "trade secret" when it comes to grading.

With the availability to just sit around online all day looking at graders notes on books one could eventually determine CGC's actual grading scale. It would take a lot longer or be near impossible to do this on the phone.

There is no way the notes will ever be available in a mass format, pay or otherwise, unless CGC decides to release their grading criteria as well.

(worship)

Let me repeat it for posterity.

That would be nice....but even the hotmail servers couldn't handle the traffic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No offense Jimbo, but our little corner of the internet (comic collectors) is so minimal compared to regular internet traffic, it's not even funny. I know people who, for example, run webcomics that get tens of thousands of unique pageviews every week, and their bandwidth bill isn't that bad. It's less than paying someone to work 8 bucks an hour, 40 hours/week...and that's the basis of my proposition. How much time and manpower is wasted physically answering phone calls every day about graders' notes at CGC?

All I'd want in graders' notes is plain text. No bandwidth-sucking graphics needed. Hell, they could MAKE money on it if it was ad-supported, but I hope they wouldn't go that route. Places like bash.org survive just fine on donations with NO ads, because text-based content costs almost nothing to host. The days of bandwidth costing a lot of scratch are over, and I feel CGC would SAVE money by getting graders' notes online. As r1970d mentioned, it throws a spanner in many peoples' gears when they have to stop what they're doing to address graders' notes.

I daresay having the notes online would give the fine people at CGC time to do their jobs uninterrupted, and maybe even speed up turnaround times.

What Beau said ... the bandwidth costs for something like this would be absolutely minimal.

We will never see online graders notes because it would offer up what CGC considers to be "trade secret" when it comes to grading.

With the availability to just sit around online all day looking at graders notes on books one could eventually determine CGC's actual grading scale. It would take a lot longer or be near impossible to do this on the phone.

There is no way the notes will ever be available in a mass format, pay or otherwise, unless CGC decides to release their grading criteria as well.

I agree. While many of us would be thrilled to get the notes. It isnt exactly beneficial to cgc.

2 best ideas from this topic so far have been the online grading notes (I agree that this would free up graders to be more efficient at getting our slabs faster) and the idea to have branch locations for drop off. I think a Manhattan and a Los Angeles location would be a good start and then if it turns out successful, add more from there.

2 best ideas from this topic so far have been the online grading notes (I agree that this would free up graders to be more efficient at getting our slabs faster) and the idea to have branch locations for drop off. I think a Manhattan and a Los Angeles location would be a good start and then if it turns out successful, add more from there.

So you never get a grouping of bad cases from CGC which then costs you shipping to have them replaced?

So you never get a grouping of bad cases from CGC which then costs you shipping to have them replaced?

actually, I haven't submitted a lot to be honest so I haven't, I hope that I do not in the future either :wishluck: I do think you're idea is a great one though! I think that if CGC makes a mistake and sends out a damaged case they should cover all expenses associated with fixing the problem. And if they do what you propose I agree that it would most likely cut down on those problems to begin with. (thumbs u

yeah, i've had to get books re-encased because of their mistake, I feel they should have take care of shipping both ways.

Not sure if this was addressed.

When a new CGC-encased book arrives and the QA team missed that the case was scratched up or filthy, not only should the reholder fee be waved (they do this today), but CGC should also pay for the shipping both ways.

It hurts their brand when books come back like this. Plus it would be nice if the shipping is charged back to the QA team. This way, during periodic management reviews, it will show how frequently this is happening.

The process will be improved drastically when the additional expense is clearly displayed in a reholder/correction dashboard presentation how much this is costing the company, and how frequently it occurs.

I know some people are going to jump on me for this but..You know what I'd really like? for CGC to have a totally seperate label, like a white label, for NO grade comics, for beaters, for already unverified signed comics, for comics with imperfection that we really don't care about grade, just for them to be slabbed, these would be the cheapest comics to slab..just the name of the comic, creative team and ..that's it!! The green labels are just awefull man, sometimes I just want to slab a comic w/o everything that goes with the grade...

hm not bad idea...

No grade? No resto check? Why not just mylar them with microchamber paper and save yourself the money? I'm not being a smartass, I'm honestly wondering why anyone would want to do this.

Some people use slabs for display, have you thought about that?..I mean.. I would not want to display a book in a Mylar.. the slab is sometimes practicall for that, it's not just about storing...just saying..

I did think about that. Have you heard of 'top loaders'? Hotflips & BCW sell them. Thick PVC plastic, perfect for display.