• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.I. Joe #1 ( Alternate Cover )

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

With all the buzz 2nd printing alternate covers are getting, what do you think the value of G.I. Joe #1 will be (alternate cover, Snake Eyes) ?

The census shows only 1 has been graded at 9.8, but I just received my copy back at 9.6. Do you think this book has potential to increase? I'm not sure how many copies have been produced, but it's a nice book and a lot of people aren't even aware they had a 2nd printing with alternate cover.

Look forward to hearing opinions.

Probably not much potential- this signed copy can be had with the convention special all for $10

I don't know if the artist (Kurth? - also didn't someone on this forum post that he was a bit cold to fans at a show?) is an established enough name to warrant demand on a new cover variant, IMO.

It may be a high priority for the high grade GI Joe completionist that must have the top census grade, but how many of those are out there and can you find them to make the sale of your 9.6 worthwhile?

The other 2nd print covers currently shooting up are because of the names behind the alternate covers and the talent behind the book. also the 1st prints are at high premiums as well. The Hush variants are all because of Jim Lee. Also Sketch covers are neat to look at and for some, that is as close to owning the original art of that cover as they'll ever get. The Teen Titans reprints with Michael Turner alternate covers, tribute covers to 80's teen Titans #1, and more sketch covers are hot because the story is on fire right now. Same with Superman/Batman - completists want all the cool covers - McGuiness's art does not WOW me like Turner's or Lee's, but the story is great and I want to make sure I have them all before Turner gets on board the title.

I don't know if the artist (Kurth? - also didn't someone on this forum post that he was a bit cold to fans at a show?) is an established enough name to warrant demand on a new cover variant, IMO.

When I met Steve Kurth at the San Diego con in 2002, he was extremely nice to me. He, Josh Blaylock, and the fellow that creates those awesome splash pages in those Image issues signed all of my books and Steve even was nice enough to draw a head sketch of Storm Shadow for me on my #1 cloud9.gif The 2 days I was there, I saw Steve drawing headsketches free of charge! 893whatthe.gif

When I met Steve Kurth at the San Diego con in 2002, he was extremely nice to me. He, Josh Blaylock, and the fellow that creates those awesome splash pages in those Image issues signed all of my books and Steve even was nice enough to draw a head sketch of Storm Shadow for me on my #1 cloud9.gif The 2 days I was there, I saw Steve drawing headsketches free of charge! 893whatthe.gif

I met Steve Kurth and the rest of the Joe creative team at the 2001 San Diego Con when they were signing those Joe Convention Specials (pre-issue #1). I asked Josh when issue #1 was coming out and he gave me a look like he was mortally offended that I didn't know when the biggest book of the year was hitting the stands. In fact, I don't think he even answered my question, and when he saw Steve and the other artist signing 2 copies of the convention special for me (saw him glance that way), he walked away and started talking to someone else and didn't sign my books. Probably the biggest 893censored-thumb.gif moment I've ever experienced in collecting comics (well, outside of certain moments on this Board, of course wink.gif).

Gene

When I met Josh, he was extremely nice to me since I had a stack of GI Joe issues from both their series and of course the ever so popular Marvel series as well tongue.gif However, what he did to you is not a shocker since he gave me some odd looks when I sifted through about 100 copies of the convention Specials from 2001 and 2002 before picking up 5 of each (probably looked like a dealer or something tongue.gif ) , but after he saw how much I supported their title by bringing out my stack, he changed his demeanor completley changed. He even thanked me for supporting their title monthly and of course signed the books w/o any hesitation cloud9.gif I believe I have pics of the whole creative team as well with me sandwiched in the middle (awwwww tongue.gif ).