• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Sleepers !

160 posts in this topic

Do any of you, on these boards feel their are any undervalued "sleepers" sleeping.gif Silver Age Comics waiting to be discovered or broken out in the price guides,ETC. and why ?

Ok....

Amazing Spiderman #194 Tough Black cover AND 1st Black Cat. A 9.8 just sold for $622 in 9.8! Guide is only $22.00!!!! Any takers on my 9.8 copy?

ASM #210 1st Madame Web, still not even broken out yet! Amazing!

ASM #212 1st Hydro Man. still not even broken out yet! Amazing!!

ASM #113 1st HAMMERHEAD! still not even broken out yet! Amazing!!!

Tales of Suspense #80. Classic Cover, Red cube, Red Skull, nuff said.

Tales to astonish #90 1st Abomination. still not even broken out yet! Amazing!!!!

The ENTIRE SA run of Green Lantern! I still cannot believe how cheap this title is, $180 for GL #14...you gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timely

343514-asm194.jpg

343514-asm194.jpg.4d6914b0950775b62f9314f781cf1d3a.jpg

Timely with all due respect I have to diasagree with Tales of Suspense #80. It's a nice book but in a market of supply and demand TOS 80 is uber common. It is one of the, if not the easiest TOS books to get in 9.6 . I actually think there are three 9.6s on Comic Link right now.

Eric

Thanks for bidding on the JIM 83, it's $500 away from reserve, with 1 day 4 hours to go. I was lucky enough to start seeing the prices jump for Journeys earlier than most, but my strategy actually became to get as many high grade Journeys from dealers, which were selling them around guide in general. The prices were already high on ebay, but surprisingly it seemed Comiclink, Metro, Superworld, EVEN MILE HIGH, still had prices that were not super-low, but were definitely pre-hype level. I didn't go into it to flip them, but when I decided to sell, so far I think I've brought in over 8k on books that I spent about 5500 for, including CGC fees.

I think the undervalued title to buy is the Silver Age Catain America run(100-120), as you can get 9.4's for pretty reasonable it seems. I also think there are some NM raw ones to be found. It is a title where the OS value on NM for the first 10 issues (other than 100) is about $100. So some are probably thinking it's not worth it to submit them. I think you would have to hold on to them for at least a couple years though. hi.gif

Just an idea.

Ross

also ff 36 has got lots of legs, 1st frightful four, gorgoeus blue cover and has been gettign way over guide prices even for 9.0's

Really? Hmmm..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i know what you mean jive, i gave my NM- copy to goblinsden that i bought from doc, when he bought a VF/NM DD # 7 from me back in 2000. foreheadslap.gif

Timely with all due respect I have to diasagree with Tales of Suspense #80. It's a nice book but in a market of supply and demand TOS 80 is uber common. It is one of the, if not the easiest TOS books to get in 9.6 . I actually think there are three 9.6s on Comic Link right now.

Eric

I hate to tell you this but every SA book is "common". TOS 80 may be MORE common, but hey...what's the difference! juggle.gif

Timely

I hate to tell you this but every SA book is "common". TOS 80 may be MORE common, but hey...what's the difference!

Wow you have gotten a big head from owning all of those Mile High books haven't you? I'm not going to argue with you because of course Golden Age books are more rare and if you have the money you can practically buy anything you want in the silver age but all of them are far from common. It's a supply and demand thing. The silver age books and bronze age books are when comic got hot so more people want them. There are definatley more people that want a High Grade Avengers #1 than there are a supply for and they can afford them. Not everyone can afford an unrestored Action #1 so the Golden Age has priced all but the richest collectors out. So no Silver Age books are not all common and yes TOS #80 is way more common than most of the others.

Eric

Amazing Spidey 194 had a big run up when Kevin Smith was doing the mini (which he never finished) and I think it's actually an overvalued book... Black Cat is a second tier character, not even, a third tier character... black cover yes, rare... i dunno.

But, of course the number one thing against my logic is ultimate black cat is being introduced in the ult. spidey title, and for many people, younger kids, they'll see the value in the OS or Wizard and think hey, $25 or $30, I can afford that! So perhaps there will be increased interest.

Amazing Spidey 194 had a big run up when Kevin Smith was doing the mini (which he never finished) and I think it's actually an overvalued book...

Ya think? 27_laughing.gif

The value of ASM 194 is way out there, and many higher-profile 1st apps sell for far less. I mean, we're not talking Wolvie, Punisher, or even Iron Fist level here.

This book has one way to go... and it ain't up.

I hate to tell you this but every SA book is "common". TOS 80 may be MORE common, but hey...what's the difference!

Wow you have gotten a big head from owning all of those Mile High books haven't you? I'm not going to argue with you because of course Golden Age books are more rare and if you have the money you can practically buy anything you want in the silver age but all of them are far from common. It's a supply and demand thing. The silver age books and bronze age books are when comic got hot so more people want them. There are definatley more people that want a High Grade Avengers #1 than there are a supply for and they can afford them. Not everyone can afford an unrestored Action #1 so the Golden Age has priced all but the richest collectors out. So no Silver Age books are not all common and yes TOS #80 is way more common than most of the others.

Eric

Your reply makes no sense. I am saying ALL Silver Age books are common. That has nothing to do with supply (what is actually available for sale and not locked in permanent collections) and demand, which is what you are talking about. At one point OS estimated 10,000+ copies of ASM #1 in existance. That is common my friend!

Timely

Amazing Spidey 194 had a big run up when Kevin Smith was doing the mini (which he never finished) and I think it's actually an overvalued book...

Ya think? 27_laughing.gif

The value of ASM 194 is way out there, and many higher-profile 1st apps sell for far less. I mean, we're not talking Wolvie, Punisher, or even Iron Fist level here.

This book has one way to go... and it ain't up.

Well as far as Overstreet guide is concerned, it has no where to go BUT up!

OS Guide = $22.00 in NM. come on!

Timely

Your reply makes no sense. I am saying ALL Silver Age books are common. That has nothing to do with supply (what is actually available for sale and not locked in permanent collections) and demand, which is what you are talking about. At one point OS estimated 10,000+ copies of ASM #1 in existance. That is common my friend!

You are absolutely correct, but you're treading on dangerous ground here. People who have sunk their investment savings and racked their CC's to get into the current Silver Age market don't take kindly to words like "common" and "over-priced".

Well as far as Overstreet guide is concerned, it has no where to go BUT up!

OS Guide = $22.00 in NM. come on!

Sorry, I live in the real world, and not in Bob's Fairy Land, where true NM copies are available for $22.... 27_laughing.gif

JC:

But generating interest for the 194 may come from people looking at the prices in Wizard and OS and believe the book is attainable... even if it's really not... the hunt will create some buzz in the book and people will seek it out.

I actually think the book is not all that rare... BUT it could still have room to see increases in sales.

Sorry Timely your right I should have clarified. I collect high grade comics...or at least high grade for what I can afford. There probably are 10,000+ copies of Spider-Man #1 and your right that makes it common but I am only counting 9.0 copies and above. When I said how many 9.6 copies of TOS #80 were out there I thought you realized I was talking about high grade. Now take an Action #1 in CGC 9.0 Restored and someone wants $127,000 for it. In my opinion only the biggest players can afford to have the best high grade books in the Golden Age market. A good example is the NM copy of Human Torch #1 on PGCmint. It is one of a kind but very very expensive. And as I said in the post that you didn't understand there are alot more people that want a high grade Avengers #1 or X-Men #1 and for more people they are affordable. Now do you understand what I am trying to say?

Eric sign-rantpost.gif

I actually think the book is not all that rare... BUT it could still have room to see increases in sales.

Personally, the book you usually see in the CGC high-grade slabs was not only available in the Direct Market, but also through a mass market Whitman reprint set. It's so available in HG, that you have to laugh at the prices being paid.

On the flip side, Timely's book is a newstand copy, and while not rare, I'd rather be holding a CGC 9.8 copy of that book, than one of the others, which pop up on EBay (still sealed) with regularity.

I bought a NM+ multi-pack (ASM 192-194) for around $12 awhile back, and one seller had what seemed like a case of them.

Sorry Timely your right I should have clarified. I collect high grade comics...or at least high grade for what I can afford. There probably are 10,000+ copies of Spider-Man #1 and your right that makes it common but I am only counting 9.0 copies and above. When I said how many 9.6 copies of TOS #80 were out there I thought you realized I was talking about high grade. Now take an Action #1 in CGC 9.0 Restored and someone wants $127,000 for it. In my opinion only the biggest players can afford to have the best high grade books in the Golden Age market. A good example is the NM copy of Human Torch #1 on PGCmint. It is one of a kind but very very expensive. And as I said in the post that you didn't understand there are alot more people that want a high grade Avengers #1 or X-Men #1 and for more people they are affordable. Now do you understand what I am trying to say?

Eric sign-rantpost.gif

Again I'd still have to disagree. For instance, on ASM#1, CGC has already graded 21 copies of that book 9.0 and higher. Again...it's a common book in comparison to any Golden Age book. In 5 years from now that number on ASM#1 will be double or triple! Expect all the Silver Age books to double or triple in the CGC census within 5 years. 893whatthe.gif

Timely