• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people De-Slab???

108 posts in this topic

Leave slabbed books in the holder for 15 years and get back to me. Every 7 years the book hs to be reholdered anyways.

Yep... I have many books that I don't plan on selling in the next 20 years... During that time, there's no way I'm going to send them to CGC to change the micro-chamber paper 3 times (risking damage in transit + shipping + the fee itself). It's cheaper for me to de-slab and change the paper myself.

Leave slabbed books in the holder for 15 years and get back to me. Every 7 years the book hs to be reholdered anyways.

Yep... I have many books that I don't plan on selling in the next 20 years... During that time, there's no way I'm going to send them to CGC to change the micro-chamber paper 3 times (risking damage in transit + shipping + the fee itself). It's cheaper for me to de-slab and change the paper myself.

(thumbs u

I like slabbed books. But if they will be a maintsay in your collection, better crack them bad boys. Or suffer the consequences.

let's not get into reslabbbing, everyone does it... I enjoy the books, I , myself want to leave them in good conditions, especiallly because I go for foreign copies, which by the way, get beat up ten times more than the american one.....

I currently don't de-slab my comics, but hearing that they need to be re-done every 7 years I just may. The only ones I know I would spend the money to get reslabbed would be my SS series, the blue labels I don't think would be worth the fee everytime since there is nothing real special about them unless they come out 9.9 or 10

also I agree that books look better in mylar unless they have a yellow panel above them, and slabs are a bit cumbersome to store, move, or look thru.

But, if you're seriously saying 9.9 - 10.. then you're really saying 9.8..lets get real!!!Once a 9.9 gets de-slabeed..it's anybody's guess.. 9.9 or 9.8...it willl end up 9.8.. .nobody will risk unslabbing a 9.9!!!!!!! Specially SS!!!!!!! especially a head sketch or something like that!!!!!!

i wouldn't say nobody, but very few people will. I bet there are people who would do it for reasons I don't know, but reasons good enough for them, and hey, it's their collection and their money, as long as they aren't doing it for some type of scam (which I can't see that being the basis for a scam) then it is all their choice.

Much like my collecting habits, which always seem to change....my preference for slabs vs mylar constantly change.

I love the professional look of a CGC slab and the info bar. But then I also love the way raw books look in a good mylar with board.

Maybe one of these days when my collection amounts to more than 5 books I'll order some stuff from Bill Cole and crack out all of my books. :grin:

Many people simply collect...they have no intention of selling, no desire to sell, and they are unbothered by the 'value' of their books. If at some point in the future, they are forced to sell, they'll deal with that when (if) the time comes.

The books are therefore solely for their own enjoyment and pleasure. So they want to read them (and yes, reading the original, with all the old ads and the smell of 40 year-old newsprint is quite a thrill), they want to store them without nightmare space issues, they want them in mylar (which seriously enhances the eye-appeal of any book)...and from a personal POV, they want to feel a real connection with the book, rather than viewing it simply as 'product'.

They might buy books slabbed simply for the resto check and indication of probable grade, but once they are satisfied with this, why keep the book in the 'wrapping paper'? (shrug)

Well said. (thumbs u

What happens if you don't change out the microchamber paper? I always thought it just stopped being as effective after 7 years. Wouldn't not changing out the paper be the same as having a raw book without micropaper???

I always thought that changing out the paper every 7 years is optimal but not necessary. Please let me know otherwise because I have a few books I need to send in for re-holders then...

I have cracked out almost every book I have purchased for my own collection including 9.6 graded Mile Highs. I will sometimes leave a book in the holder if it looks loosely graded and the eye appeal is not what I was hoping for or if I am not sure I want to keep the book in my collection. In my opinion, a book looks far better in a Mylar than thru two layers of plastic, especially when the outer CGC case has scuffs and scratches on it. Also I have read quite a bit on paper preservation and do not think it is a good idea to have a paper product heat sealed inside the inner well of the CGC holder. Gases from the aging process need to escape. This is probably why CGC recommends changing the holder every 7 years. Keep the label and crack those babies out. (thumbs u

Ken

Ok, I've been trying to think this through with logic but I can't come to a good conclusion. With the only possible exception of being to re-submit for a higher grade, why do people de-slab? (and please don't say to read the book)

(correct me if I am wrong, as I am sure you guys will)...

Deslabbing;

1) nullifies an established grade

2) renders any restoration check unprovable

3) destroys the higher "slabbed" value

I was thinking that perhaps serious collectors purchased the slabs to ensure their collections were of an established grade and resto free, then de-slabbed to read and enjoy, but I have seen numberous sales threads with books offered as ie; "6.0 deslabbed blue label etc." Even among friends in a collecting community such as this one, it seems mistrust is common. Everyone is always calling someone out on something. So the bottom line is this:

Slabbing costs a decent amount; deslabbing basically throws that money away.

Why do people de-slab?

(Sorry if this seems like a novice question. Just trying to understand).

I've deslabbed approximately a half-dozen books. Average grade of those books prior to deslabbing? CGC 4.1

You're probably not talking about me. :insane: