• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people De-Slab???

108 posts in this topic

Ok, I've been trying to think this through with logic but I can't come to a good conclusion. With the only possible exception of being to re-submit for a higher grade, why do people de-slab? (and please don't say to read the book)

(correct me if I am wrong, as I am sure you guys will)...

Deslabbing;

1) nullifies an established grade

2) renders any restoration check unprovable

3) destroys the higher "slabbed" value

I was thinking that perhaps serious collectors purchased the slabs to ensure their collections were of an established grade and resto free, then de-slabbed to read and enjoy, but I have seen numberous sales threads with books offered as ie; "6.0 deslabbed blue label etc." Even among friends in a collecting community such as this one, it seems mistrust is common. Everyone is always calling someone out on something. So the bottom line is this:

Slabbing costs a decent amount; deslabbing basically throws that money away.

Why do people de-slab?

(Sorry if this seems like a novice question. Just trying to understand).

Simple, it ensures the grade. Many many collectors do not slab but, buying slabbed books ensures that the book they are purchasing IS the grade that was advertized. The slab only assures the collector/buyer that their 9.0 or 9.2 is in fact what they are buying. Think about how many NM are advertized and how many in fact are. Wasn't this issue just discussed? Even with PGX, one is are more likely to find it closer to the condition that is said on the description of the comic. The only way I cannot see it ,make sence, is if the book is SS, that, now that...that is just plain crazy...

Many people simply collect...they have no intention of selling, no desire to sell, and they are unbothered by the 'value' of their books. If at some point in the future, they are forced to sell, they'll deal with that when (if) the time comes.

The books are therefore solely for their own enjoyment and pleasure. So they want to read them (and yes, reading the original, with all the old ads and the smell of 40 year-old newsprint is quite a thrill), they want to store them without nightmare space issues, they want them in mylar (which seriously enhances the eye-appeal of any book)...and from a personal POV, they want to feel a real connection with the book, rather than viewing it simply as 'product'.

They might buy books slabbed simply for the resto check and indication of probable grade, but once they are satisfied with this, why keep the book in the 'wrapping paper'? (shrug)

Well, I have read the original thread posts and I guess a question to pose now would be this;

Are we all the same type of collectors or not? I think that doing to whole comic-flip thing is cool if that's how you pay your bills, but if you enjoy a comic for the stories, art and historical value, why not just get the most affordable copy, even if that means a resto? I mean, certainly there is certain prestige to owning an original "unrestored" FN+ issue of say, Action #1, but the cost would be unreal. Why not settle for a reprint? Ok, if you want that original feel and smell, the lowest grade readable copy? Who cares about grade and resto if you just enjoy the book for what it is?

Well, I have read the original thread posts and I guess a question to pose now would be this;

Are we all the same type of collectors or not? I think that doing to whole comic-flip thing is cool if that's how you pay your bills, but if you enjoy a comic for the stories, art and historical value, why not just get the most affordable copy, even if that means a resto? I mean, certainly there is certain prestige to owning an original "unrestored" FN+ issue of say, Action #1, but the cost would be unreal. Why not settle for a reprint? Ok, if you want that original feel and smell, the lowest grade readable copy? Who cares about grade and resto if you just enjoy the book for what it is?

Not sure you read the other thread, as that was covered as well.

The point is, we're not all the same sort of collectors.

I want books in the 9.0-9.4 grade range, because that is what they were when I was buying them off the racks back in the 60s/70s.

However, I want as many of them as I can get my hands on unslabbed...because that is what they were when I was buying them off the racks back in the 60s/70s.

Why not settle for a reprint? Ok, if you want that original feel and smell, the lowest grade readable copy? Who cares about grade and resto if you just enjoy the book for what it is?
To many collectors, appearance (nice-looking copy) and originality (unrestored) are very important.

Fair enough guys, I just wanted a fresh take on this all. I guess it can be considered a cost to be factored into the hobby like Roy said. Whether or not you buy them to read, flip, enjoy or invest in.

It's all in the thread I quoted.

:makepoint:

:baiting:

I am personally not going to travel down this infested path again, but I will write the following.

Although I own plenty of slabs like many here, and like and enjoy them for what they are; there is LITTLE question that comic books look FAR better in a 4 mil Mylar with full back charcoal buffer board.

The colors are more vibrant, and the solid look, and feel, that the board presents for the book, is MUCH more visually pleasing than looking at the book in a plastic case.

Just my opinion

I am personally not going to travel down this infested path again, but I will write the following.

Although I own plenty of slabs like many here, and like and enjoy them for what they are; there is LITTLE question that comic books look FAR better in a 4 mil Mylar with full back charcoal buffer board.

The colors are more vibrant, and the solid look, and feel, that the board presents for the book, is MUCH more visually pleasing than looking at the book in a plastic case.

Just my opinion

I think slabbed looks better, but I do agree, this topic has the potential to go in circles much like the pedigree thread that ended up being locked. Everyone has there preferences, what they prefer and do not prefer, and ultimately what they choose to do they can do as it is there right. I think that sums up the answer for this thread.

Ok, I've been trying to think this through with logic but I can't come to a good conclusion. With the only possible exception of being to re-submit for a higher grade, why do people de-slab? 1. (and please don't say to read the book)

Deslabbing;

1) nullifies an established grade

2) renders any restoration check unprovable

3) destroys the higher "slabbed" value

I was thinking that perhaps 2. serious collectors purchased the slabs to ensure their collections were of an established grade and resto free, then de-slabbed to read and enjoy, but I have seen numberous sales threads with books offered as ie; "6.0 deslabbed blue label etc." Even among friends in a collecting community such as this one, it seems mistrust is common. Everyone is always calling someone out on something. So the bottom line is this:

3. Slabbing costs a decent amount; deslabbing basically throws that money away.

Why do people de-slab?

(Sorry if this seems like a novice question. Just trying to understand).

1. Why CAN'T reading the comic be a legitimate reason? I just acquired a copy of Batman #2 in 1.5 unrestored. Soon as I was able, I popped that bad boy out of it's holder and read it. The reason: the label only TELLS me it's the 2nd appearances of the two most famous of Batman's archenemies--I can now say that I've EXPERIENCED those appearances first hand. This is exactly why I bought the book and one of the biggest reasons I collect.

2. You're making an assumption about what a serious collector is and I think you'll see that definition is far and wide as you get to know more people here. :foryou:

3. Another assumption to be wary of--not everyone paid to have the book slabbed so there's no money lost in deslabbing the book. Granted, the price of slabbing the book is lost, but unless the seller makes a profit on the sale, it's not a loss to the buyer.

I'm not trying to get into any arguments as I think these are fair questions to ask; I would simply be careful of making too many assumptions as there are often going to be a number of other possibilities that fit equally well. :)

Why not settle for a reprint? Ok, if you want that original feel and smell, the lowest grade readable copy? Who cares about grade and resto if you just enjoy the book for what it is?
To many collectors, appearance (nice-looking copy) and originality (unrestored) are very important.

The only caveat I would add is that (for me) this will depend on the issue, but definitely (thumbs u

Deslabbing;

1) nullifies an established grade Only if you mishandle it.

2) renders any restoration check unprovable Not if you keep the label.

3) destroys the higher "slabbed" value Depends on the book and the grade.

Many people simply collect...they have no intention of selling, no desire to sell, and they are unbothered by the 'value' of their books. If at some point in the future, they are forced to sell, they'll deal with that when (if) the time comes.

The books are therefore solely for their own enjoyment and pleasure. So they want to read them (and yes, reading the original, with all the old ads and the smell of 40 year-old newsprint is quite a thrill), they want to store them without nightmare space issues, they want them in mylar (which seriously enhances the eye-appeal of any book)...and from a personal POV, they want to feel a real connection with the book, rather than viewing it simply as 'product'.

They might buy books slabbed simply for the resto check and indication of probable grade, but once they are satisfied with this, why keep the book in the 'wrapping paper'? (shrug)

(thumbs u