• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people De-Slab???

108 posts in this topic

Sometime the owner of the slabbed book disagrees with the assigned grade. I know I sure as hell have. I have also de slabbed my fair share of books. Just because The CGC says a book is X grade doesn't mean it is. I have seen many books where IMHO and others. The grade was simply blown....

Leave slabbed books in the holder for 15 years and get back to me. Every 7 years the book hs to be reholdered anyways.

What happens if you don't change out the microchamber paper? I always thought it just stopped being as effective after 7 years. Wouldn't not changing out the paper be the same as having a raw book without micropaper???

I always thought that changing out the paper every 7 years is optimal but not necessary. Please let me know otherwise because I have a few books I need to send in for re-holders then...

You are correct.

Microchamber paper becomes inert after approximately 7 years. It does no harm... essentially it is the same as a book stored without any microchamber paper after this period. There is no need to re-holder every 7 years.

The 7 year expiration date urban legend/myth has been around for a while and just won't die. :frustrated:

Guest Grails

I have deslabbed about five books now. All of them were 9.8's and purchased for my collection. The problem was they were loose inside the inner well. And I mean loose where if you rotated the slab you could watch the book shift. Some of these books had overhang and I knew with enough time and handling, it wasn't going to be good. They now rest secure in mylars.

Good point on 9.8s loose

I find that once I slab a book, I'm more likely to sell it with few exceptions. GGA.... But for the most part, I deslab anything golden age 6.0 or lower. I typically leave my 6.5 and higher slabbed as it's cheaper to buy a reader copy than reslabbing. I also leave books slabbed that I don't care to read.

Simple, it ensures the grade. Many many collectors do not slab but, buying slabbed books ensures that the book they are purchasing IS the grade that was advertized. The slab only assures the collector/buyer that their 9.0 or 9.2 is in fact what they are buying. Think about how many NM are advertized and how many in fact are. Wasn't this issue just discussed? Even with PGX, one is are more likely to find it closer to the condition that is said on the description of the comic. The only way I cannot see it ,make sence, is if the book is SS, that, now that...that is just plain crazy...

Doug Sulipa offers a good take on this as well in the new Overstreet Guide... (thumbs u

The 7 year expiration date urban legend/myth has been around for a while and just won't die. :frustrated:

It won't die because Gemma and Harshen recommended that everyone do it:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=36825&Searchpage=2&Main=2082&Words=re-encapsulated+about+every+7+years&topic=0&Search=true#Post36825

Sometime the owner of the slabbed book disagrees with the assigned grade. I know I sure as hell have. I have also de slabbed my fair share of books. Just because The CGC says a book is X grade doesn't mean it is. I have seen many books where IMHO and others. The grade was simply blown....

I am gonna have to scan the UXM #135 they gave a 7.5 - I say it's a full point higher, at least. This is the only book I have de-slabbed...

-slym

I am gonna have to scan the UXM #135 they gave a 7.5 - I say it's a full point higher, at least. This is the only book I have de-slabbed...

-slym

You missed something..

-slym

You missed something..

Really? What? I had the book in-hand. No interior flaws, two very light spine stresses, no CBSCs, no creases, no extreme corners - when/if I ever scan this thing, I imagine I'll get lots of agreement on my side. Plus, as I discussed in another thread, I called for grader's notes to be sure I didn't miss something, and there were none. None! NO grader's notes.

;)

-slym

-slym

You missed something..

Really? What? I had the book in-hand. No interior flaws, two very light spine stresses, no CBSCs, no creases, no extreme corners - when/if I ever scan this thing, I imagine I'll get lots of agreement on my side. Plus, as I discussed in another thread, I called for grader's notes to be sure I didn't miss something, and there were none. None! NO grader's notes.

;)

-slym

It was a gift grade :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=36825&Searchpage=2&Main=2082&Words=re-encapsulated+about+every+7+years&topic=0&Search=true#Post36825

That statement is 7 years old and the stance has softened since.

It's a recommendation... not a warning of dire things to happen if you don't swap out every 7 years. As stated previously, after 7 years it's no worse off than a book that has been stored without MC paper.

It's a recommendation... not a warning of dire things to happen if you don't swap out every 7 years. As stated previously, after 7 years it's no worse off than a book that has been stored without MC paper.

So no spontaneous combustion?

Spontaneous combustion happens in year 8. Gemma and Harshen said so.

Spontaneous combustion happens in year 8. Gemma and Harshen said so.

:o:cry:

A gift grade LOWER than the actual book's condition? That's a gift only worthy of re-gifting.

lol

-slym

No.. You just assume your books are HG :baiting:

Always! Didn't you the 9.6/9.8 GSXM I posted over in the "grade my book" thread? 5.5s and lower, HAH!

:roflmao:

-slym