• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling my Marvel Comics #1, what should I put in the title?

41 posts in this topic

I'm going to be selling my copy of Marvel Comics #1 on eBay tomorrow night to help pay off some of my recent auction wins, and was wondering if I could get some imput from some Forum members. (Its going to be a no reserve auction with a $1 starting bid so I want to make sure the auction goes well as I don't want to end up having to sell this book for $50)

My question is, what should I put in the title of the auction to bring people to it? (I doubt there are too many people who search for "Marvel Comics 1" on eBay on a daily basis... even those who are searching for early Timelys probably search using "Marvel Mystery"... I have a finite amount of space to come up with a title and am wondering what key words I should use. Should I use something like:

"Marvel Comics 1 - 1st Marvel comic ever!"

Or something like "Marvel Comics 1" followed by a string of key words?

If the second, which key words should I use? Mystery? Human Torch? Sub-Mariner? Everett?

I'm going to be Home Page Featuring the book if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

It was originally coverless but had a new cover made, so the condition would be Poor and it would be considered restored because of the cover (but otherwise would be unrestored) The interior is complete and looks real nice.

When I was looking for this book actively I really never checked eBay much, but since this one seems to be lower grade, it could do very well there. I'd suggest using the title "Marvel Comics #1 - 1939 - Human Torch" or something of that nature. I don't think you'll need to put a grade in the title, because enough people will be attracted out of curiousity alone. Maybe add keywords like Everett and First Marvel Book or something of that nature.

Brian

Thanks everyone for all your help so far! I've been working all weekend on this auction and its finally almost finished, I think it has turned out pretty nice. As for the title I have my title search words narrowed down to "Mystery" "Timely" "Human Torch" and "Sub-Mariner" I have enough space for 2 of four. Does anyone here use any of these when they search for comics on eBay?

They have subtitles on eBay now.

Words in them show up in searches I believe. (wrong!) foreheadslap.gif

Edit:

Here is an auction with a subtitle:

Auction with subtitle

I just did a search in comics and STEPHENS did not show up so I guess words in subtitle do not show up in searches.

So put the key words in the main title and other info like the grade/page quality in the subtitle.

Marvel Mystery Comics 1 The 1st Timely! 1939

That's 44 characters.

You can put "1st Human Torch and Sub-Mariner" in the subtitle.

That's how I'd do it, but I buy/sell Silver and not much Gold so maybe others know what's best. shy.gif

Make sure you feature the auction in bold and I'm sure no one will miss it. hi.gif

edit:

Let everyone know when you list it here.

I want to make an early watch bid, and I can tell everyone I bid on my first Marvel #1!

wink.gif

I'd like to 2nd that one. Since I mainly troll eBay for Golden Age books, I try to look at all the new listings for Comics/Golden Age. Putting Timely in the title is a good thing. Also think putting Mystery in the title is a sound idea: Since your married copy will be reasonably priced for a Marvel #1, you might catch some frequent "Marvel Mystery Comics" bidders who previously thought the #1 was out of their reach.

I'd also imagine anyone with a particular interest in GA Human Torch and Submariner would have created a favorite search set up in Golden Age to search all words in the auction description. Something like:

Search Comics/Golden for Timely (Torch,Human,Humantorch,Submariner,Mariner)

G'Luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Z.

Shoot, I like that title too! I had submitted the auction into eBay about five minutes before reading the post. Fortunately I have five hours before the listing officially starts so I can still edit the auction. I ended up using:

"Marvel Comics 1 Human Torch Timely Mystery"

should I switch it to:

I think I like yours better than mine.

Sure, here's the link: Marvel Comics 1 Link

The auction doesn't start until 10:15 EST so the link won't be active for another 45 minutes. I would wait to post but i'm not sure how much later I plan on staying up. I should've listed it earlier in the day. I wanted to wait until after NeatStuff listed their items so I wouldn't get buried under all their weekly auctions but they had a surprisingly low # of featured auctions this week.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered me CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on my coverless Superman 1 auction a few weeks ago. I took almost everyones' suggestions and like to think this auction is an improvement. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Oh you had a BIN... insane.gif

I didn't want to really pop it but with a $1.00 opening bid some spam bidder will bid $1.50 or something in mere minutes. With such a small opening bid BINs are a waste of a dime I think. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, I stayed up an extra half hour just to have the honor of bidding on the Marvel Holy Grail!

cloud9.gif

edit:

893whatthe.gif I'm outbid already! 893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif

I don't really know where the cover came from, it came with the book when I bought it. It really does look authentic though doesn't it? The back is reproduced too, but has a bit of a blue tint to it. (I think the back cover is supposed to be white right? I'm not really sure)

Aces, don't worry about popping the BIN, I didn't expect someone would hit it before placing the first bid, but I figured the auction listing already had me in for over $100, what was another ten cents. Thanks for starting the bidding off acclaim.gif