• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC price changes

119 posts in this topic

Rocky_Break_You-T-link.jpg
John... You cant type a sentence but you can link images?

And you misgraded that Green Lantern you sold me. :whistle:

Now your grading company did. :hi:

But they can be pre-screened.

I know.

The only reason I don't care about the price increase is I know have backer for submiting to CGC. :whistle:

Love those perks. ^^

The changes in tier price, are small in my opinion. The modern date change was the big change. Submitting 1975-1979 books doubled in price. But, like I said, 6 years without a price change is a long time.

I agree. A lot of books I have submitted are from 1975-1977. Books in this era have the biggest price increase.

YUP

New Prices:

Value 40 business days $150 /ea. $23.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Value Fast Track 20 business days $150 /ea. $31.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Economy 40 business days $300 /ea. $32.00 per book

Economy Fast Track 20 business days $300 /ea. $40.00 per book

Standard 15 business days $1000 /ea. $54.00 per book

Express 5 business days $3,000 /ea. $85.00 per book

20 Day Express Coupon 20 business days for comics submitted with Col Soc coupon $3,000 /ea. Col Soc Coupon

Walkthru Same day no limit 2.5% F.M.V.††

Modern * 20 business days $200 /ea. $17.00 per book

Modern Fast Track* 10 business days $200 /ea. $25.00 per book.

Reholder** 10 business days no limit $11.00 per book

Recert.*** Service selected Service selected ***

Notes:

*Modern service is limited to books published from 1980 to the present.

**Re-Holder Service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder.

NOTE: All Re-Holder Submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade.

***Comics submitted for Re-Certification with their original label ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO RECEIVE THE SAME GRADE.

††F.M.V. (Fair Market Value). Minimum Charge per book $120.00, Maximum charge per book $1,500.00

National Holidays and the Fridays of a major Convention are not counted as Business Days for submission processing.

Old prices:

Value 1/23/2009 40 business days $100 /ea. $21.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Value Fast Track On-Time 20 business days $100 /ea. $29.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Economy 1/23/2009 40 business days $250 /ea. $29.00 per book

Economy Fast Track On-Time 20 business days $250 /ea. $37 per book

Standard On-Time 15 business days $1000 /ea. $49.00 per book

Express On-Time 5 business days $4000 /ea. $79.00 per book

20 Day Express Coupon On-Time 20 business days for comics submitted with Col Soc coupon $4000 /ea. Col Soc Coupon

Walkthru Same-Day Same day no limit 2.5% F.M.V.††

Modern * 2/20/2009 20 business days $200 /ea. $16.00 per book. $15.00 per book for submissions of 10 or more books.

Modern Fast Track* On-Time 10 business days $200 /ea. $24 per book.

$23.00 per book for submissions of 10 or more books

Reholder** On-Time 10 business days no limit $11.00 per book

Recert.*** n/a Service selected Service selected ***

*Modern service is limited to books published from 1975 to the present.

**Re-Holder Service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder.

NOTE: All Re-Holder Submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade.

***Comics that have been removed from the CGC holder can receive a discount on the grading fee if sent in for Re-Certification with their original CGC holder label. The discount is applied as follows: Modern Tier - $1 per resub.; Economy, Standard & Express Tiers - $5 per resub.; Walkthru Tier - $10 per resub. (PLEASE NOTE there is NO resubmission credit for Signature Series labels) Label is for discount only. Comics submitted for Re-Certification with their original label ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO RECEIVE THE SAME GRADE.

†Please allow time for postal delivery for books being shipped out today.

††F.M.V. (Fair Market Value). Minimum Charge per book $110.00, Maximum charge per book $1000.00

Please remember, that CGC does not return mylars or backing boards sent in with comic books. Also note that National Holidays and the Fridays of a major Convention are not counted as Business Days for submission processing.

The changes in tier price, are small in my opinion. The modern date change was the big change. Submitting 1975-1979 books doubled in price. But, like I said, 6 years without a price change is a long time.

Is changing the discount from 20% to 10% considered a price change?

When the "discount" is offered 100% of the time and becomes an expectation on the part of consumers, the answer is "yes."

Regardless of whether it is the first change in 6 years or not, it is a rather bold(stupid?) move to raise prices in this economy. It will certainly affect number of submissions.

This has little to do with dealers making a fortune off books(exactly who are those dealers by the way, I would like to become one of them). I am sure they grade many more 9.4s than 9.8s and these are the books that will no longer be submitted, because it won't make financial sense to do so.

Note CGC is no longer offering anything on a label return. I always thought the token 5.00 credit was given as incentive for submitters so CGC could maintain the integrity of the Census. Won't the census be compromised by this change ?

This is interesting. We all know the census is a mess due to crack and resubs, but at least with the $5 credit, CGC kept up the appearance of making an effort to maintain the census integrity.

Maybe they were not getting many labels sent in anyway.

Then keep offering the $5! It's not costing them much. lol

Regardless of whether it is the first change in 6 years or not, it is a rather bold(stupid?) move to raise prices in this economy. It will certainly affect number of submissions.

This has little to do with dealers making a fortune off books(exactly who are those dealers by the way, I would like to become one of them). I am sure they grade many more 9.4s than 9.8s and these are the books that will no longer be submitted, because it won't make financial sense to do so.

Really, 9.4s on most BA books that were formerly under the Modern tier (1975-1979) were not even making a substantial profit. 9.4 was really what I considered the break even price in many cases. $30-$50 is what many random BA book in 9.4 would sell for. So, with the change, 9.4 is not even acceptable (at least to me). :eek:

Really, 9.4s on most BA books that were formerly under the Modern tier (1975-1979) were not even making a substantial profit. 9.4 was really what I considered the break even price in many cases. $30-$50 is what many random BA book in 9.4 would sell for. So, with the change, 9.4 is not even acceptable (at least to me). :eek:

That is my point exactly....

It just seems as if this change will bring them much less business. If there goal is to slab far less books at a higher profit margin, I would think it will be successful. I just don't see how that can possibly be the goal. CGC HAS to be a volume business. There is no other way for it to survive.

What a short sighted view! Are you kidding me? You really think all the books submitted are 9.8 X-Men from the Byrne run? How about all the Invaders books that sell in 9.6 for barely the cost of slabbing. Wake up, this price increase will destroy their submission rate on 1975-1979 books. Looks like they are taking a lesson from eBay on how to destroy a company.

Or the stack of pristine Peter Parkers in the teens, 20s and 30s I was seriously thinking about submitting and that maybe making sense at $15 a book even if some came back 9.6ses.

I guess it's one way to make everyone pre-screen and there will only be 9.8s of these books. I can see from CGC's perspective how a 9.6 Peter Parker #21 selling for maybe $20 isn't such a ringing endorsement of the service for that sort of book. But if there are no 9.6ses, I wonder if the interest in 9.8s will be the same?

The price schedule for all Comic Magazine grading tiers remains unchanged.

Why didn't the cost of Comic Magazines increase as well? hm

because they don't want to totally kill that business. a CGC slab often doesn't help them all that much. i sold a 9.2 Master of Kung Fu, after like 98 attempts to get more, for the cost of slabbing (not including shipping). honestly, i think i could have gotten more breaking it out of the slab.