• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pont Report - Boston Comic Con

83 posts in this topic

Yeah, it seemed whatever you put up on the wall, garnered some interest. Our main thing is supplies, but for the limited amount of "wall" books we had, we did pretty well with whatever we put up there.

Here’s another while he’s helping out Silver and Bronze.

KOR2.jpg

DMZ #1 is considered a "wall book" now? :confused:

On my "wall" it was. I had a chance to split a table with CKB and used it to clean up my office floor, along with 9 boxes of moderns I had picked up.

Anything that would catch someone's eyes went up on the wall. At first I felt weird putting stuff up there, but it worked. I sold plenty of $5 moderns that otherwise would have languished in the boxes. I also sold 4 relatively common platinum books that everyone laughed at me for putting up-and, here's the kicker, the sales were made to 3 different customers. On Sun, I almost sold a nice batch of 1940 and 1941 Sunday sections w/ Superman strips on 3 different occasions. I sold a 30 cent price variant, one nice Archie Giant Series, etc. Nothing was big-ticket, but a lot of it moved. As long as it caught someone's eye and was different from the other wall books, it was worth putting on the wall.

As for the platinums, I can not even tell you how much interest there was in them. Again, nothing rare (except one tough, late Bringing Up Father), and people just loved seeing them. I paid very little for them, so was able to charge about 1/3 guide. And they moved, mostly as impulse purchases. It just makes you realize how much of a disservice is done to this material by ridiculously over-inflated "values" in Overstreet. People like them, and are interested in them, but when dealers overpay and can't get their money back, these books are treated like they're poison and are derided by everyone. Priced right, I bet there would be a nice market for them.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll tear up some HG moderns for five bucks a piece. Especially if they're Vertigo books. I was just making sure DMZ didn't shoot up to $50 while I was sleeping or something. :wink:

And blame my question on the dealers I've dealt with who scoff at the very idea of putting a modern on the wall. :shrug:

Here’s another while he’s helping out Silver and Bronze.

KOR2.jpg

DMZ #1 is considered a "wall book" now? :confused:

On my "wall" it was. I had a chance to split a table with CKB and used it to clean up my office floor, along with 9 boxes of moderns I had picked up.

Anything that would catch someone's eyes went up on the wall. At first I felt weird putting stuff up there, but it worked. I sold plenty of $5 moderns that otherwise would have languished in the boxes. I also sold 4 relatively common platinum books that everyone laughed at me for putting up-and, here's the kicker, the sales were made to 3 different customers. On Sun, I almost sold a nice batch of 1940 and 1941 Sunday sections w/ Superman strips on 3 different occasions. I sold a 30 cent price variant, one nice Archie Giant Series, etc. Nothing was big-ticket, but a lot of it moved. As long as it caught someone's eye and was different from the other wall books, it was worth putting on the wall.

As for the platinums, I can not even tell you how much interest there was in them. Again, nothing rare (except one tough, late Bringing Up Father), and people just loved seeing them. I paid very little for them, so was able to charge about 1/3 guide. And they moved, mostly as impulse purchases. It just makes you realize how much of a disservice is done to this material by ridiculously over-inflated "values" in Overstreet. People like them, and are interested in them, but when dealers overpay and can't get their money back, these books are treated like they're poison and are derided by everyone. Priced right, I bet there would be a nice market for them.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll tear up some HG moderns for five bucks a piece. Especially if they're Vertigo books. I was just making sure DMZ didn't shoot up to $50 while I was sleeping or something. :wink:

And blame my question on the dealers I've dealt with who scoff at the very idea of putting a modern on the wall. :shrug:

I put up three Nintendo Valiants on my wall and sold them all day Saturday for $2-$8 each. Never knew how many 20-somethings were Captain-N fans!

Couldn't make this one because of prior commitments, next one for sure. Looks like it was a good time.

I swiped this dinner photo from KingofRulers, doubt if he'll mind.

BostoncomicsCon3.jpg

Let's see, we have: CKB, silverandbronze (toon tumbler Paul), Dick Pontoon, GACollectibles, Super Ted, Probably Super Ted's helper Ron (?), I don't know, Hot Flips (Charles), Hot Flips (Jeff), nik and MutantKeys.

BostoncomicsCon3.jpg

Let's see, we have: CKB, silverandbronze (toon tumbler Paul), Dick Pontoon, GACollectibles, Super Ted, Probably Super Ted's helper Ron (?), I don't know, Hot Flips (Charles), Hot Flips (Jeff), nik and MutantKeys.

Groupie... :sumo:

BostoncomicsCon3.jpg

ckb, silverandbronze, GACollectibles, Ted/Superworld, the top of Richard Mossow's head(Superworld) between mine & Ted's, Dave Hartwell(non board member) at the end, Charles (Hotflips), Hotflip's Handsome Jeff's head mostly obscured, some Greek guy, MutantKeys.

Wait, who's on the other side of Ted?

Revised lineup:

ckb, silverandbronze, Pontoon, GACollectibles, Ted/Superworld, the top of Richard Mossow's head(Superworld) between mine & Ted's, Dave Hartwell(non board member) at the end, Charles (Hotflips), Hotflip's Handsome Jeff's head mostly obscured, some Greek guy, MutantKeys.