• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Marvels Ultimates

13 posts in this topic

I just read Ultimate Spidey TB 1-5 and must say I was quite impressed. Glad I didn't have to wait a month to see if MJ went the way of Gwen Stacy.

As a long time Marvel reader I was really elated with the updated vesions. I also enjoyed the retold early X-men adventures from a few years ago.

So,my question is-which other Ultimate books do you recommend, and is the regular spidey title featuring this new version or is it the same drek I stopped buying in the mid-90s?

Thanks,'House for turning me on to this new universe.

I haven’t read it all along, but I've really enjoyed the past few issues of Ultimate X-Men. I now pick it up monthly. With the exception of New Mutants (which I only bought because my friend was working on it) and Origin it's the only X-Book I've bought off the shelves in more than a decade.

I just read Ultimate Spidey TB 1-5 and must say I was quite impressed.

I felt the same way about the first TPB, as it was a neat take on Stan Lee's origin, and kind of worked.

But later TPB's started to drag, virtually nothing happened from issue to issue, and the choice of "villain revamps" started going downhill (Kraven, Kingpin).

When Bendis trotted out that old, stale, lame joke about the Shocker being "the Vibrator" (original proposed name), I had to put the books down for a few days.

Get the Ultimate's TPB. If you liked USM, you'll probably like Ultimates. Hopefully, they'll get issue #13 out quick and then you can just get both trades for the entire story. Really good stuff.

Chris

I liked all the remakes except for Kraven, my old favorite villian.

The thing that made Spidey so interesting in the 60s was he was a young kid with problems just like other kids,then in the late 60s he was a college student at a time when students were trying to change the course of the world-stop the war, free love,ect....

It is only logcal that todays kids wouldn't feel the same as we did about him.We grew up with him and could idenitify with him.This reworking might just be the boost the market needs.Somehow, the thought of a middle-aged Spidey with a career and a family never appealed to me.

How long until the Crisis in the Marvel Universe?

Get the Ultimate's TPB. If you liked USM, you'll probably like Ultimates. Hopefully, they'll get issue #13 out quick and then you can just get both trades for the entire story. Really good stuff.

Chris

cool.gif

Could you give a quick description of what this book is? All I know about it is the guy from Kingpin bought a gazillion copys and turned all the speculators off the book.

I liked all the remakes except for Kraven, my old favorite villian.

That was one bad, bad, bad Bendis move with Kraven, and while some of the other characters weren't too bad, the stories blew.

Like that one with the Kingpin recording himself killing someone, and then Spidey going in and getting the disk. That was lame, with a capital aim.

The thing that made Spidey so interesting in the 60s was he was a young kid with problems just like other kids,then in the late 60s he was a college student at a time when students were trying to change the course of the world-stop the war, free love,ect....

I agree totally, and I really got that feeling through the first 2 TPB's (I originally bought USM up to #6, but sold them off), but later it seemed that Bendis was just mailing in the scripts. Plus, there is NO WAY I'd be shelling out cover each month just to see 10 pages of Pete and MJ googling each other.

Ultimates is a re-vamp of the Avengers. Nick Fury (dunno if you've 'met' him in Spidey yet) is charged w/ putting together a super-team to fight menaces too large for Shield to handle on their own. Don't want to spoil it for you, so I'm not going to give away any plot.

Ultimates team consists of: Cap (he kicks some major @$$), Wasp, Giant Man, Iron Man, and Thor (a cool take on the Norse God!).

Trade is cheap, like $12. Way worth the money!!!

Chris

Ultimates is a re-vamp of the Avengers. Nick Fury (dunno if you've 'met' him in Spidey yet) is charged w/ putting together a super-team to fight menaces too large for Shield to handle on their own. Don't want to spoil it for you, so I'm not going to give away any plot.

Ultimates team consists of: Cap (he kicks some major @$$), Wasp, Giant Man, Iron Man, and Thor (a cool take on the Norse God!).

Trade is cheap, like $12. Way worth the money!!!

Chris

Giantman being Hank Pym?

Well Im finally diving into the Ultimate Universe.

Over the next week or so, Ill be diving though the first two Ultimate Spider man hardcovers.

I just finished USM 1/2 and I liked it, I thought it was a nice 1/2 issue. I liked the appearance if Iron FIst in it. It definately has a little different feel than the classic universe.

Issue 1:

WOW!!!!! First off, this is some tight, great writing. What a great origin, I know, its the same as the regular Spider Man origin, except that it has some interesting threads weaved into the tapestry to have a nice universe going. I dont think they did that in Amazing Fantasy (and since they included the Amazing Fantasy in the hc Ill have to compare it.

I think Bendis does a great job of capturing the solitude of Parker, I can really feel it, and thats something I know is at the base of Parker in the standard universe, but I never remember feeling it like I did in the first issue of USM.

I also like how they did Mary Jane in USM. They made her the semi-brainy type not the flighty girl thats in the original universe, which makes it more plausible that she would be interested in Peter. I never really bought it in the classic universe.

With the Speculation that Trouble is the origin of USM Spider man and May and Ben are actually Peter's parents, you can see a hint of it in this issue, theres a little nudge nudge wink wink when May says that peter is just like his father, and is touching Bens face and Ben says, he sure is.

I also dig the characterizations of May and Ben, they feel more like parents than the foolishly played May of the clasic universe.

Something else that I see that has possiblities with this...and I might be setting my hopes up too high...but, Theres a definate time frame of when SPider man starts, I hope that when Im 60 we still arent reading about Peter in College. I hope thy kind of keep the timeline close to reality.

I read issue 1/2 before this...issue 1/2 really isnt a 1/2 issue as in it should go before USM 1. Its more like a 5 1/2 or something.

Issue 2:

Nice nod to Ferris Buehler in the opening scene.

Im continuing to enjoy hte characterization of May and Ben, they feel much more real. I wish there would have been more of the May/Ben development as far as why they were over extended. These stories also seem to be more thought out more than their counterparts. It seems that Bendis thought that not only would hte changes be physical, but may also cause psycological changes also...hence parker's mood swings.

I also like how parker's Rogue gallery are tied to his life and how they are keping it in a tight package, I think that adds to continuity

Issue 3:

BIIIIIIIG Problem!!!!

Parker isnt friends with these guys yet they are hanging out together at a Rasslin' match. Does that make sense?

Then Parker goes home and grabs a mask and comes back while the guy is still wanting to fight someone from the crowd and everyone is still waiting around. So lets Parker even lives just around the block, you're talking like a half an hour, minumum, and I think thats stretching it, before he gets back.

Horrible issue.

Issues 4 and 5. Nothing too spectacular in these issues, other than they do a great job of capturing Peter as a 15 year old.