• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

How are you scanning those images....without damaging the book....I always have the spine showing and glare as I don't want to open the books too far.

Appreciate the concern, but as Jayman relates I take the image then crop/resize it to fit, which also gets rid of any glare or spine showing - piece of cake.

Here's the final clue, the opening splash from the same book:

100_1014.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

Thanks for posting the interior pics! Everytime I think I think I've seen enough high-quality Everett, I get introduced to a new page like this one and I'm drooling once again.

That is a sweet lookin' Subby....very nice! thumbsup2.gif

What is on the back cover of it? confused-smiley-013.gif

yay.gif

I honestly don't recall - the book went back to the vault today, but if nobody chimes in I can check it out next time.

STEVE Got Larson?

It's being freed from the tomb as we speak!

Yesss! <cue Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart...."Freedom!">

If possible, please post another scan - I'd like to see those colors unimpeded.

(and if you don't mind, wander over to the "Confessions of a CGC crack addict" thread and post your impressions)

STEVE Got Larson?

Please excuse my supid question, but how does one actually free the book from the dreaded slab.....does not look that easy - is there a knack to it so you do not damage the book.....I just bought a HT and am thinking I might do some crackin when I get it...not sure yet, but how would I safely get it out without wrecking the book??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks!

The outer case is very easy, just pry the case apart with your fingers at where there are slits on the side of the case. The inner wall is a bit trickier, sometimes it comes apart cleanly along the welds. Other times, it doesn't and you'll need a sharp knife to cut it out. Just take your time. I think I crack about 50% of my books.

Marvel will probably put me in jail for this. Here's a complete story from Subby 5. One of my first ebay purchases was this cut-up Timely. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

sub5pg1.jpg

sub5pg2.jpg

sub5pg3.jpg

sub5pg4.jpg

sub5pg5.jpg

sub5pg6.jpg

sub5pg7.jpg

sub5pg8.jpg

sub5pg9.jpg

sub5pg10.jpg

sub5pg11.jpg

sub5pg12.jpg

sub5pg13.jpg

sub5pg14.jpg

sub5pg15.jpg

sub5pg16.jpg

sub5pg17.jpg

sub5pg18.jpg

Edited by podboy66

The outer case is very easy, just pry the case apart with your fingers at where there are slits on the side of the case. The inner wall is a bit trickier, sometimes it comes apart cleanly along the welds. Other times, it doesn't and you'll need a sharp knife to cut it out. Just take your time. I think I crack about 50% of my books.

To crack the case, I insert a table knife about .5" inches into the gap and then slide it down to the corner. Then I rotate it 90 degrees to crack the case at the corner. Repeat at the opposite corner.

You do want to be careful trying to get the comic out of the inner sleeve. Sometimes you can carefully peel the inner layers apart by starting at the top, but you really need to careful, as, depending on the strength of the weld, you can end up bending the book or worse. The most reliable method is to use an exacto knife to cut along the right edge and then along the bottom.

It is much easier and safer to do this with the big GA books than more delicate 50s comics.

I have never seen an interior story with a giant Sub-Mariner, but I only have about half of the Marvel Mystery's that he appeared in.

Issue #32 perhaps? Can't recall but the first page might be a redo of the cover. confused.gif

I'm pretty sure the final chapter splash is a re-working of the cover.