• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

Comicdey - I also have a copy of MM 56 with similarly misaligned pages. One of my favorite Marvel Mystery covers - I love the absurdity of torturing Toro with fire foreheadslap.gif GCD credits the Torch story art to Jimmy Thompson - who as far as I can tell did a few of them around this time. I find his style to be superior to much interior Timely art. Does anyone know more about him?

As to Cap #46 - Alas no interior story to match - like most war era Timelys the cover has no relation to the interior. The stories have more of a mystery angle, with fairly subtle references to the nazis. I guess as the war was winding down, Timely was looking to shift Cap into post-war adventures.

I doubt this issue is any rarer than say #45 or #47 in absolute terms, and with the prices being realized I would expect a few more copies to surface and change hands in the near future before it settles into the same sort of availability pattern as say Cap #74 - not exactly scarce as long as you're willing to pay the premium.

Jimmy Thompson was one of the first African American artists working in comic books.

Here's some info from Ron Goulart's "Great Comic Book Artists, v2":

JimmyThompson1.jpg

Thanks Adam - even though the second column was clipped, that was more info than I expected. I haven't thought about Robotman for years. but recall that the reprints I read in the early 70s had much more polish than much of the other art from the era.

Thanks Adam - even though the second column was clipped, that was more info than I expected. I haven't thought about Robotman for years. but recall that the reprints I read in the early 70s had much more polish than much of the other art from the era.

You're welcome.

I didn't want to break the spine of my book just for the scan. It's a good book and well worth the small price it usually goes for.

I like Thompson's art and I'm very curious to see what he did for Timely. Maybe someone will do a scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

dug out a timely that's neat...sorry if it is a repeat, i don't follow this thread as closely as i should..

. 1476851-mystic2d.jpg

That is truly a honey of a cover, Jon. Very pulp-y! Love the giant nazi skeleton with syringe , and women in bondage... it really does have everything! Thanks for posting!

893applaud-thumb.gif

not just for "Kids"...

1479954-kidkomics2.jpg

Nothing like a Schomburg for an action-packed cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif