• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

Guess this one is considered the best cover of the run..

I agree! I personally feel this one is much better than #7 as the S&K artwork in #7 leaves a lot to be desired (My opinion. No offense to any #7 owners). Do you have a #10? 9 and 10 are my favorites.

None taken. (thumbs u

It's much easier for me to explain why I like the cover of #7 so much rather than to fault other Mystic Destroyer covers, all of which are magnificent. Of course, having a Kirby cover may give this comic points for dynamic flair, but what really makes #7 stand out from my perspective is that it tells a story all by itself.

This particular cover depicts a key scene telling the prospective reader why a war minister has been chained and tortured, and the madness Hitler is willing to unleash to achieve world domination. Maybe it's just me, but that's a perfect cover, a complete visual snapshot of the BIG picture as represented by one of the most dynamic artists of the GA.

IMHO, the cover of #7 leaves nothing to be desired, but everyone's mileage varies. :foryou:

I agree! I personally feel this one is much better than #7 as the S&K artwork in #7 leaves a lot to be desired (My opinion. No offense to any #7 owners). Do you have a #10? 9 and 10 are my favorites.

2 & 10 for this timely geek.

WTTB. That's a lovely copy.

It's certainly one of my favorites, along with #2, though all of the Destroyer coversstand out.

Considering that the copy of #9 I previously owned was no better than good I'm more than happy with this copy, courtesy of Mr Bedrock. Still searching for a presentable copy of #2 though!

MysticComics980.jpg

WTTB. That's a lovely copy.

It's certainly one of my favorites, along with #2, though all of the Destroyer coversstand out.

Considering that the copy of #9 I previously owned was no better than good I'm more than happy with this copy, courtesy of Mr Bedrock. Still searching for a presentable copy of #2 though!

MysticComics980.jpg

This issue has been steadily rising the last few years as illustrated by the GP. A trimmed 4.5 sold for a strong price not long ago and a 3.5 with slightly brittle pages broke 3k a few weeks ago via the Heritage Sunday auction. I tried to post a pic of my #9 yesterday but it wouldn't upload for some reason.

None taken. (thumbs u

It's much easier for me to explain why I like the cover of #7 so much rather than to fault other Mystic Destroyer covers, all of which are magnificent. Of course, having a Kirby cover may give this comic points for dynamic flair, but what really makes #7 stand out from my perspective is that it tells a story all by itself.

This particular cover depicts a key scene telling the prospective reader why a war minister has been chained and tortured, and the madness Hitler is willing to unleash to achieve world domination. Maybe it's just me, but that's a perfect cover, a complete visual snapshot of the BIG picture as represented by one of the most dynamic artists of the GA.

IMHO, the cover of #7 leaves nothing to be desired, but everyone's mileage varies. :foryou:

I'm not questioning the subject matter as I think it's both shocking and great from a historical perspective. I was referring to what I feel is a rather crudely drawn cover. Aside from Schomburg, Timely's stable of artists was a mixed bag at best. It's a great issue regardless. Hitler covers always stand out.....just some more than others.

I once owned the Chicago Mystic #9 in 9.4 Qualified with a centerfold detached I sold it at a premium through Heritage a few years ago in favor of my blue label 8.0.

Wondering now if I made the right choice... What do you guys prefer,,, a higher graded Qualified book or a 8.0 or 8.5 blue? Just wondered...

I once owned the Chicago Mystic #9 in 9.4 Qualified with a centerfold detached I sold it at a premium through Heritage a few years ago in favor of my blue label 8.0.

Wondering now if I made the right choice... What do you guys prefer,,, a higher graded Qualified book or a 8.0 or 8.5 blue? Just wondered...

Blue for me. I own a 8.5 blue copy. Do you have a #10?

I'd rather have the Chicago. A loose centerfold doesn't bother me as much, and that book is gorgeous.

I'd rather have the Chicago. A loose centerfold doesn't bother me as much, and that book is gorgeous.

Centerfolds are reattached to books all the time and they get universal grades. Like pressing though, you have to have the right book with the type of defects, or detachment in this case. Some CF's cannot be reattached because the paper that goes under the staple is missing. However, I have a feeling it won't belong before someone finds a way to get around that problem as well.

Centerfolds are reattached to books all the time and they get universal grades. Like pressing though, you have to have the right book with the type of defects, or detachment in this case. Some CF's cannot be reattached because the paper that goes under the staple is missing. However, I have a feeling it won't belong before someone finds a way to get around that problem as well.

Yes that's true but it has been documented in the GP and archived by Heritage as a qualified book which would leave a bit of a stigma on that book if ever repaired. It would bother me anyway.

None taken. (thumbs u

I'm not questioning the subject matter as I think it's both shocking and great from a historical perspective. I was referring to what I feel is a rather crudely drawn cover. Aside from Schomburg, Timely's stable of artists was a mixed bag at best. It's a great issue regardless. Hitler covers always stand out.....just some more than others.

:oKirby's classic Destroyer cover crudely drawn??? ...! :cry:

First time I've heard that one.

Different strokes, I guess. (shrug)

As you're a recent arrival to these forums I don't recall having properly greeted you, so WTTB, Mr. Celtics. :headbang:

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Yes that's true but it has been documented in the GP and archived by Heritage as a qualified book which would leave a bit of a stigma on that book if ever repaired. It would bother me anyway.

I agree, but over time the stigma of restoration may change as it has in other areas of antique paper memorabilia speculation, a clear line being drawn between amateur and professional. Right now, there is a stigma attached to repair based on the pre-CGC history of books being sold with undisclosed restoration. That is old school thinking. In the future, restored books will hold less stigma, at least this is how I see it. hm

Oh, BTW, I'm a big fan of Schomburg's art as well...

e96ad158-2.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Orig. art: Schomburg cover recreation for MM #66 [/font](last war issue)

+1 and if your lucky enough you can get the book at a serious discount. That book would look sweet in a mylar.

+1 and if your lucky enough you can get the book at a serious discount. That book would look sweet in a mylar.

+2 (thumbs u

It doesn't matter to me if it is repairable. It doesn't matter to me where it is documented. We are talking about a killer book with incredible colors and gloss that essentially is missing, at most, two very tiny pieces of paper at the centerfold. Not the cover, not some coupon out, not a chunk missing. Two tiny pieces of paper where the staple attaches. And the centerfold isn't missing. It is just loose. I understand that some folks have a problem with loose centerfolds. Maybe they are afraid that the loose centerfold could get up and leave one day, unhappy with its present situation. Maybe they just don't want to be reading a comic and have the paper fall out. Whatever. But the fact is that a loose centerfold really is nothing more than a couple of tiny pieces of paper getting weak.

Furthermore, The CGC gives you the option of getting a Qualified or Universal grade on books like this. I believe the Mystic 9 was once Universally graded as a 7.0 or 7.5. Even if it were Universal 6.0 I would choose it over any 7.5 or 8.0 copy. It is that nice.

A couple of obligatory scans...

batman5.jpg

mystic9.jpg