• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,107 posts in this topic

A couple of obligatory scans...

batman5.jpg

mystic9.jpg

For me, owning any Timely in 9.4, be it blue, green, or purple label, would be :cloud9:

Finding one with an almost meaningless defect like loose centerfold would be even better because, I would hope, it would be cheaper!

P.S. That qualified Batman is incredible! Although not a Timely. :rulez:

I once owned the Chicago Mystic #9 in 9.4 Qualified with a centerfold detached I sold it at a premium through Heritage a few years ago in favor of my blue label 8.0.

Wondering now if I made the right choice... What do you guys prefer,,, a higher graded Qualified book or a 8.0 or 8.5 blue? Just wondered...

My POV: 8.5 is just 9.0 in training! :grin:

GLOD & PLOD are currently the big no-nos for some/most collectors. but if appreciation of the latter improves (i.e., the acceptance of professional restoration as beneficial) the stigmatization of the former will decline as well.

Centerfolds are reattached to books all the time and they get universal grades. Like pressing though, you have to have the right book with the type of defects, or detachment in this case. Some CF's cannot be reattached because the paper that goes under the staple is missing. However, I have a feeling it won't belong before someone finds a way to get around that problem as well.

(thumbs u Dead-on. Maybe targeted leaf casting or some similar wizardry! hm

It doesn't matter to me if it is repairable. It doesn't matter to me where it is documented. We are talking about a killer book with incredible colors and gloss that essentially is missing, at most, two very tiny pieces of paper at the centerfold. Not the cover, not some coupon out, not a chunk missing. Two tiny pieces of paper where the staple attaches. And the centerfold isn't missing. It is just loose. I understand that some folks have a problem with loose centerfolds. Maybe they are afraid that the loose centerfold could get up and leave one day, unhappy with its present situation. Maybe they just don't want to be reading a comic and have the paper fall out. Whatever. But the fact is that a loose centerfold really is nothing more than a couple of tiny pieces of paper getting weak.

Furthermore, The CGC gives you the option of getting a Qualified or Universal grade on books like this. I believe the Mystic 9 was once Universally graded as a 7.0 or 7.5. Even if it were Universal 6.0 I would choose it over any 7.5 or 8.0 copy. It is that nice.

A couple of obligatory scans...

batman5.jpg

mystic9.jpg

Richard, I agree with everything stated in your first paragraph because it's about the overall look, feel, readability and collectibility of the book, not the grade or apparent grade.

??? The second part is a bit confusing given the scans you used, but perhaps it's just my being too dense to make sense of your point here. :sorry:

I do know that green labels are hard sells, the GLOD being seen as bad or worse than purple in the eyes of some collectors.

??? The second part is a bit confusing given the scans you used, but perhaps it's just my being too dense to make sense of your point here. :sorry:

When you submit a book to The CGC which has a defect which can cause a Qualified label you may be given the choice...green label with defect noted but not taken into account in the grade, or blue label with defect taken into account in the grade. In the case of the Batman 5 Green 9.2 or 7.5 Blue.

When you submit a book to The CGC which has a defect which can cause a Qualified label you may be given the choice...green label with defect noted but not taken into account in the grade, or blue label with defect taken into account in the grade. In the case of the Batman 5 Green 9.2 or 7.5 Blue.

That part was clear Richard, but your 7.5 example doesn't have a defect listed on the label. Is that your point? (shrug)

I have one blue label Cap with such a defect, but the detached centerfold notation is listed on the label...

img_CapAmerica58_065.jpg

hm Now more than ever I'm thinking I need those grading notes! :o

Edited by DavidMerryweather

That part was clear Richard, but your 7.5 example doesn't have a defect listed on the label. Is that your point? (shrug)

It would if it were in a green label. It has a staple hole through the entire book at the top left. One of the "Timely File Copies".

It would if it were in a green label. It has a staple hole through the entire book at the top left. One of the "Timely File Copies".

It's a beaut, too! (thumbs u

My problem is the lack of disclosure on a blue label for something unobservable, such as a detached centerfold. It doesn't matter to me what the grade is or the label color, a defect like that should be noted. hm

In the days before CGC a loose centerfold was never that big a deal as a tear on a page was once considered more of a defect, now it's the opposite.. Also, staining or foxing came second to the structural integrity of a book i.e. tear or crease, now it's the opposite.. We used to grade on the aesthetics of a book, it's eye appeal i.e., gloss and color, the whiteness of a book over a loose centerfold, but now its all different. So I sold my 9.4 Chicago Mystic 9 green. Grading standards are no longer pluralistic

.I was just wondering how many of you out there would just rather have a 8.0 blue label with notes.. or a green 9.4 with notes? Which would command more value in the market?

I loved this cover as a kid,,, most of my attraction to Timely covers came for me as a kid after having Steranko's history of the comics... I had never seen golden age covers before that... this one was one of my favorites.

129708.jpg.89b4f803fe4a16514f0a3d13da1edf66.jpg

I loved this cover as a kid,,, most of my attraction to Timely covers came for me as a kid after having Steranko's history of the comics... I had never seen golden age covers before that... this one was one of my favorites.

This book in particular, as awesome as the cover is, is even MORE fun once you get inside!! It's got around a half dozen origin stories and great artwork by the likes of Bill Everett and Simon and Kirby!! I sold my blue 8.0 a year or so ago and recently saw in pressed into a blue 9.2. It was driving me crazy not being able to look inside those pages. I think I see a raw mid grade copy (maybe with a tear seal or some slight color touch) in my future :applause: You have an AWESOME copy here Steve!!! It's the Chicorel if I remember correctly. Very well done (worship)

This one hasn't even arrived yet. Doing the Billy Parker style thing anyway :applause:

cap62.jpg

Love that book. Congrats Jimbo :applause:

Thanks Billbo :hi: I've even got an undercopy to sell next month. Nothin' special, just a 4.5 blue :)

[font:Comic Sans MS]That's a very pretty copy of Cap #62, and one of the best Shore Cap covers! Congrats! :applause:

BTW, it's amazing how Timely predicted Amazons cutting edge influence over America. :grin:

I know this scan is awful, but here's my copy in the raw...[/font]

img_CaptAmer62_078-1.jpg