• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

I think this is the first Marvel Mystery I bought, from Motor City at Chicago Con around 1990. This book has an absolutely fresh off the newsstand quality in hand that still amazes me. Still a favorite for that plus the great cover.

mm36.jpg

That's a beauty. And in 1990 it was probably still pretty cheap too. (thumbs u

Yep. I almost added -- only paid guide, too. I think that was just before Timely's really started to heat up during that era.

Yep. I almost added -- only paid guide, too. I think that was just before Timely's really started to heat up during that era.

You are so right. I remember buying Timelys in the late '80s and early '90s for guide or less.

Then around '95 they really started to take off.

You are so right. I remember buying Timelys in the late '80s and early '90s for guide or less.

Then around '95 they really started to take off.

I blame Rob Hughes. He listed those high grade runs in CBG in that timeframe and had crazy multiples on them. I told him they were not going to sell at those prices. I, of course, was wrong. They all sold right away and each time he would list more, they too would sell right away.

That's why I never predict prices on auctions or comment on market trends. I'm always wrong

:(

I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this recent acquisition. :banana: Described by Heritage as:

"Timely Comics Trademark Application and Registration for "The Human Torch" (April 23, 1940). This lot features the United States Patent Office trademark registration (#381303) to "Abraham Goodman, doing business as Timely Publications," and it includes an additional application for a trademark for "The Human Torch." The application also states that "The trade-mark has been continuously used and applied to said comic strip series in said comic book series since the date of first publication, to wit: August 31, 1939." These two pages are ribbon-bound and measure 8" x 12". In Very Good condition."

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

I think this is the first Marvel Mystery I bought, from Motor City at Chicago Con around 1990. This book has an absolutely fresh off the newsstand quality in hand that still amazes me. Still a favorite for that plus the great cover.

mm36.jpg

That early Marvel Mystery is one of my favorites. My copy had a faded cover and rough interior.

2078220065_9e0372a3da_b.jpg

But this copy was my first and it is fresh and clean on the outside and inside. Not as interesting as the other cover but better quality.

3160878014_588fe45d07_b.jpg

I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this recent acquisition. :banana: Described by Heritage as:

"Timely Comics Trademark Application and Registration for "The Human Torch" (April 23, 1940). This lot features the United States Patent Office trademark registration (#381303) to "Abraham Goodman, doing business as Timely Publications," and it includes an additional application for a trademark for "The Human Torch." The application also states that "The trade-mark has been continuously used and applied to said comic strip series in said comic book series since the date of first publication, to wit: August 31, 1939." These two pages are ribbon-bound and measure 8" x 12". In Very Good condition."

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Those three trademark applications were absolutely awesome pieces of comics history. Didn't think they would sell for as much as they did, but hey, what exactly is a unique piece of history worth?

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Those three trademark applications were absolutely awesome pieces of comics history. Didn't think they would sell for as much as they did, but hey, what exactly is a unique piece of history worth?

To me, these applications were some of the real highlights of this auction. An opportunity to acquire a real piece of golden age comic history regarding the big 3 Timely titles. Now I ned to dfind a nice Human Torch example to go in the frame with these two pages. Do I shoot for a low grade HT 1, a sharp cover only, or a high grade example of a later issue?

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

To me, these applications were some of the real highlights of this auction. An opportunity to acquire a real piece of golden age comic history regarding the big 3 Timely titles. Now I ned to dfind a nice Human Torch example to go in the frame with these two pages. Do I shoot for a low grade HT 1, a sharp cover only, or a high grade example of a later issue?

I hear there is a HT # 1 VF on the market for a mere $20k. :whistle:

Or failing that, why not just go for a MC # 1...seem to be plentiful nowadays.

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Well, i'd like to join the MC #1 pedigree club one day. hm

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Windy City, Pay copy, Larson, I believe could be had hm

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Just unbelievable.

I'd have loved to own those but just couldn't swing it.

Awesome!

mm36.jpg

Wow!

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Windy City, Pay copy, Larson, I believe could be had hm

hm

lf-1.jpg

lfCASX0OBE-1.jpg

Wow, neat! :applause: