• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Market Report

6 posts in this topic

For those of you who may not want to leave the site- here ya go-

November 2003 (Page 1 of 1)

November 2003

THAI ADVENTURE!

Dear Comic Lovers,

I was not around for much of November as my wife and I traveled to the Orient. We visited Tokyo for a few days and then spent about 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand.

I can oftentimes recall saying what a small world we live in nowadays. With the advent of the Internet, supersonic jets, 24-hour news channels etc., it sure does feel that way. But after visiting Asia I have a new found respect and appreciation for the massiveness of this world and all of its diversity.

Visiting Japan and Thailand, to me, was the closest thing one could get to visiting another planet. Of course there were many aspects of life that seemed familiar, but there were so many more things that were different.

It is true what you hear and read the Japanese take pride in everything they do. The trains are ultra clean and quiet, the seats are cushioned. The Taxi drivers wear suits and ties! They open and close the doors for you when entering and exiting the taxi by simply by pushing a button, and get this they do not take tips. Many of you may say big deal, but for any New Yorker reading you know what a big deal this is.

In Thailand if you smile at someone nine times out of ten they will smile back at you. The people are unbelievably friendly and kind. We never paid more than five to ten dollars for dinner. When you do business with someone they bow to you and thank you sincerely. The Thai love their King. Every establishment you enter has a painting or photograph of the Monarch. I could go on and on but I would like to get to the comics market report. I will leave you with this on the subject, if you ever have the good fortune of visiting either of these two countries savor every moment-they are dynamic, exotic and fascinating.

Disneys sold very well this month. Sales were not simply for the usual suspects, namely Barks issues. Sales included many non-Barks issues in low, mid and high-grad condition.

Archie comics of all titles and grades also sold at a brisk pace. Most impressive were sales of high-grade Silver Age Archie titles. Many an astute collector realized that no matter how we valued these books they are a true bargain and incredibly difficult to find.

Atlas western titles picked up quite a bit. Collectors purchased mid-grade Kid Colt Outlaw, Rawhide Kid and Wild Westerns. The stories in these comics are fun and I am glad to see collectors still enjoying the stories.

November was truly a great Bat-month. Low grade Golden Age Batman and Detectives were noted as particularly strong sellers. High grade Silver and Bronze Age Batman also sold well.

I should also note high-grade, Silver-Age Blackhawk, Green Lantern and Mystery in Space were quick sellers. Very early Golden Age DC issues from titles like New Fun, More Fun and New Adventures also did well.

Fiction House titles like Wings and Planet went fast. Mostly reader copies were sold which is a fine testament to the great stories and art in these comics.

Gold Key titles like Twilight Zone and Star Trek in high grade sold extremely well.

We also started offering CGC graded Comic Sized Magazines to our customers via ebay. I am pleased to announce a 97% sell through. Many of the higher-grade issues of Vampirella sold at multiples of guide.

In case I didn’t mention I also sold a plethora of Silver Age Marvels in all manner of conditions…. as usual.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Sincerely.

Vincent Zurzolo

COO

Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

Jeeze Vince! No pirates, no cobras, no opium dens...Your trip is boring. You should go on an adventure w/ Chuck. tongue.gif

Seriously though, sounds like a great time. I have a cousin that is touring Asia right now. She is in Thailand as we speak and has echoed everything you said about the country and it's people.

Also, keep the market reports coming. Good stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Chris

Sorry the most exiting thing I saw in Thailand was a school of about 300 fish when I went snorkeling. Truely a breath taking experience and one I will not soon forget.

Thanks for the comments about the market report. I think the December Marker Report is up now...yep just checked - here is the link-

http://pages.tias.com/2779/InventoryPage/1678027/1.html

Enjoy and Happy Holidays,

Vincent