• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why won't Marvel reprint the Dark Avengers sketch cover?

44 posts in this topic

Yes and no..there was a limited production and you either had to order it online, or attend a con.

????

Are you talking about the Hero Initiative blanks? As far as I know, the Hulk books were distributed directly to the artists and were sold for auction upon completion. How were the Spider-man books handled?

Either way, not really what we're after, here.

Yes and no..there was a limited production and you either had to order it online, or attend a con.

????

Are you talking about the Hero Initiative blanks? As far as I know, the Hulk books were distributed directly to the artists and were sold for auction upon completion. How were the Spider-man books handled?

Either way, not really what we're after, here.

Some were auctioned off at conventions and some on ebay. I still remember the Todd McFarlane one going for something like 6K

the one thats really over due though is a blank cover for an X-men book, but i don't see where that can happen anytime soon

There are plenty that are "overdue": Fantastic Four, X-men, Spider-man, Hulk to name a few.

But there really doesn't seem to be a trend for where the sketch cover pops up. In my opinion, they don't really need one. Fallen Son show's you that it doesn't have to be a #1, and I don't think it needs to be for a landmark (like Cap's death) either. They could make a Thor #613 variant B as a blank sketch cover if they wanted.

I guess all I'm saying is it doesn't take a major event to have these sketch covers. They've put 1 out a year for the last 3 years. The Dark Avengers cover came out in January, so we've still got some time before we can expect another one. Personally, it's not a huge deal what title it has. I've put several Spider-mans (Spider-men?) on Fallen Son covers and barely any of my Secret Invasion books have Skrulls on them. If they put them out, I'll get them regardless of the title.

Well said Adam.

It seems that everyone agrees that the quality of the Dark Avengers book is higher than it's predecessors. Any chance cost of production impacted production numbers?

Yeah but you can't slab a sketchpad..

Oh, I am aware of that. But when it comes down to it, it's about personal preference. I would never spend $100 on a George Perez, to be done on a sketch cover, when I can get it on an 11x17 page (No disrespect, Dan, just personal preference). Although I had Fallen Son covers available, I passed on getting a John Romita and John Romita Jr on the FS covers, in favour of sketchpad paper.

Slabbed or not, sketch cover or not, a sketch is still a sketch, and a commission is still a commission.

IMHO, the problem with the scarcity of the Dark Avengers blank is caused by limited supply being purchased by speculators. As has already been stated in the thread, the last two sketch blanks from Marvel (Fallen Son and Secret Invasion) were immensely popular and successful. This has led to the DA blanks being bought up to be sold at a premium.

...kind of like the 90's all over again.

And to follow the theme of others responses, why would Marvel want to print more copies of the Dark Avengers blank, when they could just release another book (that might just need a bump in $$$ numbers) again later this year.

The OA market has done pretty well before and during the sketchcover fad.

For most OA collectors having a piece of art slabbed doesn't make a difference.

C

The OA market has done pretty well before and during the sketchcover fad.

For most OA collectors having a piece of art slabbed doesn't make a difference.

C

Depends what you like.. Consider this..someone spends $40-70 on a sketch..slabbed add another $27 plus shipping..

Or OA art..plus the cost of an original frame..mine was about $55. It all depends. I like sketch covers cause to me it's something unique. And the slab is like a frame.

But like the rest of us, I'm wondering myself what the next big sketch cover will be like.

I personally like blank covers because the size is smaller, i cant find a good way to show off bigger stuff above 8 by 12, these are easy get it slabbed i have it on a really nice shelf it looks really nice, alot easier than getting like 200 sketches in a sketchbook and having people flip over it or find it in a pile of rubble

also on a side note is whats with those Avengers/Inaders blanks? they have random sketches put on them on the dynamic forces site but they wont actually sell the blanks and i know its not cause theres none because they have new one's comming out all the time, it would be nice for those to be available because in those the whole cover is a blank isntead of a space on the front

Oh, I am aware of that. But when it comes down to it, it's about personal preference. I would never spend $100 on a George Perez, to be done on a sketch cover, when I can get it on an 11x17 page (No disrespect, Dan, just personal preference). Although I had Fallen Son covers available, I passed on getting a John Romita and John Romita Jr on the FS covers, in favour of sketchpad paper.

Slabbed or not, sketch cover or not, a sketch is still a sketch, and a commission is still a commission.

none taken to each his own....there are several artists who will charge the same for a 11x17 and a fallen son (which doesnt make any sense) but Fallen Sons are my thing :)

I personally like blank covers because the size is smaller, i cant find a good way to show off bigger stuff above 8 by 12, these are easy get it slabbed i have it on a really nice shelf it looks really nice, alot easier than getting like 200 sketches in a sketchbook and having people flip over it or find it in a pile of rubble

That's why I now do the sketchpads and put them in portfolios. Get to re-arrange everything to my liking, and to my themes. Also, there are frames for the sizes of the sketchpad pages, at reasonable prices too.

Sketchbooks can sometimes be a good thing, because artists like flipping through them, and if they see an amazing piece before the page they are about to work on, they sometimes crank out something better.

and also about what jason said about price, im not sure i entirely agree ive seen artists that charge like 400$ and up for 11 by 17 where as they'll charge 100-140 for a realy nice sketch on these blanks

Depends on the artist. Some do it for the same, some charge more. George Perez is one example of drawing on either for the same price.

I think the artists are getting hip to the deal with the blank covers as well...

There was an artist at WWTX this past year who would charge $25 for a sketch in portfolio or on paper, but would charge $50 for book cover sketches

Sadly, for some, they realize the amount of resales of their sketch covers, and how much people are trying to sell them for.

also on a side note is whats with those Avengers/Inaders blanks? they have random sketches put on them on the dynamic forces site but they wont actually sell the blanks and i know its not cause theres none because they have new one's comming out all the time, it would be nice for those to be available because in those the whole cover is a blank isntead of a space on the front

I remember a boardie showing his A/I sketch cover collection on here a few months ago, but he wouldn't reveal how he got the blank covers.

I think the artists are getting hip to the deal with the blank covers as well...

There was an artist at WWTX this past year who would charge $25 for a sketch in portfolio or on paper, but would charge $50 for book cover sketches

Sadly, for some, they realize the amount of resales of their sketch covers, and how much people are trying to sell them for.

yea i know thats one thing Maleev particularly hates