• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I won $100. from Heritage Auctions, please help me spend it!

15 posts in this topic

I was surprised tonight to come home to a $100. gift certificate from Heritage, third place prize for filling out one of their surveys. A good return on my investment of a few minutes time and a stamp!

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to poll all of you board members on how you might spend it. My rules are simple:

Suggest a Golden to Atom age book with a winnable price range between $90-$110. Condition must be 7.0 or greater, it does not have to be slabbed. My collecting focus are DC and Disney but I am open to all suggestions.

I consider this a challenge to find a very interesting book for a reasonable price. I think one of the great things about this hobby is the great variety of material available across all price ranges.

I hope to use your suggestions to pick up a book that I would not have normally considered buying so please be creative!

Congratulations.

Looking at the stuff ending this week, I like those Super Magicians. I like the covers on the whole run and they have a couple of slabs that seem to fit most of your criteria.

77914.jpg.919eec1d871fb138282e769b481886d3.jpg

77915.jpg.b58cfbd993f559482106a85e4620e4c3.jpg

Congratulations.

Looking at the stuff ending this week, I like those Super Magicians. I like the covers on the whole run and they have a couple of slabs that seem to fit most of your criteria.

Wow, great suggestion! Something I never would have thought of buying but now that I look at your scans I see the appeal. I don't own any Street and Smith comics so that would be a very interesting buy for me.

Any other suggestions out there??

One could aquire a very nice Kurtzman edited war comic for that money. I'd get a copy of Frontline Combat #4 and enjoy Harvey's stated favorite story, "Airburst!"

Antother good suggestion. I have only owned one old EC war comic, a very ratty Frontline Comic many years ago. It was a great book though so I will certainly keep my eyes open for those.

I poked around a bit on Heritate and came up with these two Blue Beetles, asking price is over my limit but I can certainly make an offer.These are the kinds of books I wouldn't normally think about but they both have an interesting appeal to them and would be fun to take a gamble on.

77956.jpg.603ba84943b890a95cb345503056be75.jpg

77957.jpg.01c5afe6faae3f130bedb8add8405485.jpg

I was surprised tonight to come home to a $100. gift certificate from Heritage, third place prize for filling out one of their surveys. A good return on my investment of a few minutes time and a stamp!

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to poll all of you board members on how you might spend it. My rules are simple:

Suggest a Golden to Atom age book with a winnable price range between $90-$110. Condition must be 7.0 or greater, it does not have to be slabbed. My collecting focus are DC and Disney but I am open to all suggestions.

I consider this a challenge to find a very interesting book for a reasonable price. I think one of the great things about this hobby is the great variety of material available across all price ranges.

I hope to use your suggestions to pick up a book that I would not have normally considered buying so please be creative!

I'll suggest an early Fox (would have to be lower grade for your price range though), or a mid-grade Fiction House. If you like DC superheroes, some of the wacky Fox second-stringers of titles like Mystery Men and Weird Comics might appeal to you. (They certainly appeal to me!) Fiction House just simply rocks and you can't go wrong with a fun GGA Jungle, Fight etc with a cool cover. Most are quite affordable in midgrade, too.

ECs are also highly enjoyable books....the horror and sci-fi titles are great fun, beautifully illustrated and are still a bargain in mid-grade.

(IMO, looks like kind of a slow week for Heritage. Some good suggestions above but unless you see something you have to have, might be worth waiting a bit longer.)

This one is a really cool book from before EC was a scifi/horror shop.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Inventory_No=800025148#Photo

Interesting pick, and books that I have had an interest in for a long time. They also have a few Crime Patrol issues from the late 40's in lower grade that caught my eye.

Moon Girl is another title that I have thought about picking up at times.

Thanks for the suggestion, very interesting.

It'll go a bit over but a Mile High ACG Forbidden Worlds 15...!

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=19043&Lot_No=13193

Wow! Not only a Mile High but the incredibly rare Tranvestite Vampire masquerading as a Vampire Cat genre cover!! Now that has to be the pick of the thread!

I'll suggest an early Fox (would have to be lower grade for your price range though), or a mid-grade Fiction House. If you like DC superheroes, some of the wacky Fox second-stringers of titles like Mystery Men and Weird Comics might appeal to you. (They certainly appeal to me!) Fiction House just simply rocks and you can't go wrong with a fun GGA Jungle, Fight etc with a cool cover. Most are quite affordable in midgrade, too.

ECs are also highly enjoyable books....the horror and sci-fi titles are great fun, beautifully illustrated and are still a bargain in mid-grade.

(IMO, looks like kind of a slow week for Heritage. Some good suggestions above but unless you see something you have to have, might be worth waiting a bit longer.)

OK, you are hitting on all cylinders! I just picked up my first Fox comic at WonderCon two months ago, Weird #7 and it is very cool. I would certainly enjoy getting another one of those.

I have been thinking of picking up fa Fiction House book for some time, so if the right one shows up that is a great choice.

EC's have been mentioned already and are a strong contender.

How about those Eastern Color books for sale, any appeal to them?

And I agree that holding out a week or longer to see what else might pop is always a good idea.

Thanks for the good ideas!

After all those good ideas I finally spent my $100, but not on anything anyone suggested. Instead I picked up two early Sad Sack Harvey File copies. I don't know why I find these so appealling, there is something really interesting about these books. George Baker had himself a nice little gig going on for quite some time thanks to the Harvey brothers. I would love to read more about him if anyone has any links to information.

82133.jpg.aafe2ea8c1169f9630326b9b6b21e6df.jpg

82134.jpg.b0dcea4e3be56037f0397417582aabb8.jpg

After all those good ideas I finally spent my $100, but not on anything anyone suggested. Instead I picked up two early Sad Sack Harvey File copies. I don't know why I find these so appealling, there is something really interesting about these books. George Baker had himself a nice little gig going on for quite some time thanks to the Harvey brothers. I would love to read more about him if anyone has any links to information.

You know what, I actually think you made a pretty good choice. I actually love Sad Sack and those are two real nice copies.

You know what, I actually think you made a pretty good choice. I actually love Sad Sack and those are two real nice copies.

He was a childhood favorite of my brother and mine, I still love reading his exploits all these years later. Hopefully they will publish one of those big Harvey Trades with him as a feature.