• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun Comics #55 CGC Universal 7.0 with WHITE PAGES (trade/cash preferred)

37 posts in this topic

I'm not angry, just mystified by peoples' delusions.

And Nearmint, sorry if you took offense, but I never called you or anyone else ridiculous. I was referring to the assertion we are all discussing.

I just think it is healthy to question things. Men are gullible....

:devil::angel:

And Nearmint, sorry if you took offense, but I never called you or anyone else ridiculous. I was referring to the assertion we are all discussing.

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

So pleased that I could give you some amusement! How about saying something constructive; if you have an argument, please present it. Or you can show us all that you are so superior by typing "ridiculous" again.

Ridiculous.

So pleased that I could give you some amusement! How about saying something constructive; if you have an argument, please present it. Or you can show us all that you are so superior by typing "ridiculous" again.

Ridiculous.

Did that hurt?

:baiting:

The information we have gathered so far:

- The books were purchased from an OO in his early 90s out of Central Penn, specifically Lancaster Co. Pennslyvania. This information was provided by the seller when buyers began to inquire about the signature and the OO, but only well after he started selling the books off, and NEVER as a ploy to actually market the books. That makes it a lot more credible in my opinion. Assuming this information is factual , and its a big IF, how many 90+ year old Richard or Winters could there possibly be in Lancaster County, PA?

- The signature thing is a non-starter, it proves or disproves nothing. The Larsons have as many as three distinct signatures, all written by three different store clerks. There is no indication the signature was by the owner, his neigbor, a store clerk, anything....so, until we have more concrete evidence, the theory that it was a store clerk writing the name of the person it was reserved for is as good as any.

- Major Winters was in fact in his early 20s, and in his final year of college when many of the early books in the collection were purchased. This was my point as well. However, we also know that reading comics back then didn't have quite the stigma it would later on if you were a young adult. Major Winters admitted his inspiration for becoming a paratrooper came from a Life magazine article, so we know he read contemporary publications. So, again, this really doesn't prove or disprove anything. I think the fact that many of the books are solid 6.0s-7.5s is a likely indication that they were adult owned.

I'm on the record as a non-believer, however, there is enough evidence to suggest it is possible. As such, I'm not willing to dismiss it until we have more facts one way or another.

What I would love to see is a comprehensive list of all the books in the collection, and see how they compared to those times we know Major Winters was away training for and fighting the war. The books sold on ebay earlier this year were mostly from 1940-1941, which would have been during the time he was still in college. If there was an abundance of books from 42-45, then I would be a lot more skeptical.

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

Did that hurt?

:baiting:

That's what I thought. Here is nice dancing bananna for you. Please don't spit up your milk while viewing.

:banana:

Just kidding around...you know I love the verbal baseball.

The information we have gathered so far:

- The books were purchased from an OO in his early 90s out of Central Penn, specifically Lancaster Co. Pennslyvania. This information was provided by the seller when buyers began to inquire about the signature and the OO, but only well after he started selling the books off, and NEVER as a ploy to actually market the books. That makes it a lot more credible in my opinion. Assuming this information is factual , and its a big IF, how many 90+ year old Richard or Winters could there possibly be in Lancaster County, PA?

- The signature thing is a non-starter, it proves or disproves nothing. The Larsons have as many as three distinct signatures, all written by three different store clerks. There is no indication the signature was by the owner, his neigbor, a store clerk, anything....so, until we have more concrete evidence, the theory that it was a store clerk writing the name of the person it was reserved for is as good as any.

- Major Winters was in fact in his early 20s, and in his final year of college when many of the early books in the collection were purchased. This was my point as well. However, we also know that reading comics back then didn't have quite the stigma it would later on if you were a young adult. Major Winters admitted his inspiration for becoming a paratrooper came from a Life magazine article, so we know he read contemporary publications. So, again, this really doesn't prove or disprove anything. I think the fact that many of the books are solid 6.0s-7.5s is a likely indication that they were adult owned.

I'm on the record as a non-believer, however, there is enough evidence to suggest it is possible. As such, I'm not willing to dismiss it until we have more facts one way or another.

What I would love to see is a comprehensive list of all the books in the collection, and see how they compared to those times we know Major Winters was away training for and fighting the war. The books sold on ebay earlier this year were mostly from 1940-1941, which would have been during the time he was still in college. If there was an abundance of books from 42-45, then I would be a lot more skeptical.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that. Great information.

West, how big was the collection, and what years did it span?

1939-1946 from what I remember. I think the name disappears around 1941/1942. The collection seems pretty vast, but more DC than anything else...at least that has been submitted.

West

1939-1946 from what I remember. I think the name disappears around 1941/1942. The collection seems pretty vast, but more DC than anything else...at least that has been submitted.

West

If the name disappears, how else are they IDentifiable? Sorry, I am coming to this later than others

West

That's interesting. On one hand, books purchased from 1942-1946 wouldn't easily be explained as belonging to Major Winters, though there is nothing to suggest he couldn't have been purchasing them in Georga while at Paratrooper training, or even second hand after the war. However, the fact the signatures disappear around 1942 (as Winters began his paratrooper training) might indicate they were being purchased elsewhere then the initial group, since the store clerk or other individual writing the name on the cover was no longer reserving them.

The more we find out about this mysterious collection, the more questions arise...

- Major Winters was in fact in his early 20s, and in his final year of college when many of the early books in the collection were purchased. This was my point as well. However, we also know that reading comics back then didn't have quite the stigma it would later on if you were a young adult.

Because sometimes you need indisputable factual evidence around here, here's from Comic Books and Other Horrors - Prep School for Totalitarian Society? (Scrooge Note: I kid you not) by Norbert Muhlen, in Commentary, 7 (1948), p. 80-87.

Read this excerpt to see how little stigma comic book reading held -

78121.jpg.7d193ae65391dd4b1f1a58a081b408ea.jpg

West

If the name disappears, how else are they IDentifiable? Sorry, I am coming to this later than others

All the books were in the same box when I graded them! :juggle:

West