• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UFC 97

41 posts in this topic

Brutal loss by Liddell tonight. I really expected him to destroy Rua, especially since he made an effort to shake up his training and also looked in great shape tonight. It's over for him, unfortunately. Liddell's bad run has really hurt the UFC in my opinion. I don't think the UFC has been able to use him as a promotion tool as much as they would have liked.

Terrible headliner fight by Silva. I don't want to see a fighter pointing his way to a win. If he wants to be the best, go in there and beat the mess out of that guy! I've fallen off the Silva wagon. I would root for him against GSP, if that ever happens, but other than that, I just don't care.

Lidell's chin has turned to glass.The punch didnt even look like it hit him flush.

It's sad to see him go, but he needs to quit.Hopefully ,he's still involved with the UFC in some sort of manner.

As for the main event,I can't believe this guy they put against Silva. :doh:

Dude, your fighting for the belt go out and win it!

He would just lay on the floor anytime Silva touched him.I think it's safe to say you'll NEVER see him in a title/main event card again.What a joke!

Brutal loss by Liddell tonight. I really expected him to destroy Rua, especially since he made an effort to shake up his training and also looked in great shape tonight. It's over for him, unfortunately. Liddell's bad run has really hurt the UFC in my opinion. I don't think the UFC has been able to use him as a promotion tool as much as they would have liked.

Terrible headliner fight by Silva. I don't want to see a fighter pointing his way to a win. If he wants to be the best, go in there and beat the mess out of that guy! I've fallen off the Silva wagon. I would root for him against GSP, if that ever happens, but other than that, I just don't care.

To me, Chuck looked out of shape. He always has a beer belly but you can see muscles there. Last night, it was less defined then normal. Also, I saw no difference in his training. Hands low, check. Chin high, check. Knocked out, check.

They say once you get knocked out its that much easier to get ko'ed again. I would say Chuck is a walking endorsement of that. Its a wonder how the Ax Murderer didnt ko him in their fight.

I'm going to hate to see him go but its time to put the gloves up. :(

Agreed about Chuck. The difference between the Chuck now and the old Chuck is that his poor defense didn't matter back then because his hand speed made up for it. Having slightly slower hands and a glass chin now has pushed him over the line of being a competitive fighter. I suspect that even mid-carders could beat Chuck now. Forget taking on a guy like Bisping, Evans, Machida, Jardine or Forrest. It's pointless for him to stick around fighting tomato cans... he's better off making him an ambassador of the sport somehow. This loss to Rua was close to embarassing. A loss to some lame up-and-comer or tomato can would be brutal to his legacy if he hasn't tarnished it already.

I don't understand the lack of defense on Chuck's part. If he fought smarter (chin down, hands up, checking leg kicks, wrestling more, etc.) against guys like Rampage, Jardine and Evans, he might still be able to fight now. But it looks like almost anyone could knock Chuck out at this point. The Rua shot didn't look that severe in comparison to others he's taken. The Evans shot was devastating.... and Chuck about to blast Evans almost a split second later with his own shot, but of course he was too slow.

I really like Chuck and I hope that's it for him. I wish he could have gone out a winner, though. When he fought Jardine and Evans, I thought he would work his way back to a title shot, but it was too little, too late.

As for Silva, Dana should be irate about that fight. It's terrible for the UFC and terrible for the sport. Silva should have knocked the mess out of that guy instead of leg kicking him from a distance. Dana has shown that he's not a supporter of guys who try to out-point to victory, and I hope he does something to Silva... either by cutting back promotion of the guy or by making him a 2nd tier carder. However, I think we're going to see GSP vs. Silva at some point. I hate GSP, but I'm no fan of Silva either. The biggest sin for me as a fighter is someone that doesn't go all out to win and make it exciting for the fans.

C'mon, you guys are being way too harsh. Let's be honest; this isn't real fighting! It is a SPORT. These guys are ATHLETES. No one questions a technically superior boxer when he keeps his distance and circles for points and then, when ahead, avoids serious contact. I think people that watch UFC have to get away from "these guys are the baddest guys on the planet" mentality and realize they are just:

1) Trying to make a buck (why else would they do this, enjoyment?)

2) Gain popularity and status and make more money

3) Maintain their ranking and ensure their longevity as athlete/fighters

Everyone wants to see these guys tear each other's heads off or issue a brutal beating but those days are long gone (they were really never there). Want to see a real brutal fight? Ride with a tac cop and engage in a street fight with no RULES where anything goes. Don't look for it with wrestler/athletes.

That was my 2c. Thanks for listening. :grin:

$$Liddel will keep fighting for the same reasons the Shamrock's keep fighting$$

In the UFC, it's easy for fans to give fighters a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chance back at another fight. It's mainly becuase there's a good amount of chance and luck when you fight a UFC fight. anyone can get caught at anytime. I've tried getting into UFC but it's just not my thing.

That was far from the best UFC. While I am glad Shogun won (win or lose, Liddell was close to retirement) I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. I am disappointed they couldn't fit Quarry's fight in.

As for Silva, Dana should be irate about that fight. It's terrible for the UFC and terrible for the sport. Silva should have knocked the mess out of that guy instead of leg kicking him from a distance. Dana has shown that he's not a supporter of guys who try to out-point to victory, and I hope he does something to Silva... either by cutting back promotion of the guy or by making him a 2nd tier carder. However, I think we're going to see GSP vs. Silva at some point. I hate GSP, but I'm no fan of Silva either. The biggest sin for me as a fighter is someone that doesn't go all out to win and make it exciting for the fans.

Dana should be irate at himself for picking a gutt-less contender for Silva to fight.How that guy was 14-1 is beyond me.It's hard to knock out an opponent ,but even tougher when he just lays on the ground every 2 mins.

Sometimes different styles make boring fights and these two were a perfect example of that,sometimes it happens.