• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second-Longest-Running BA Series?

54 posts in this topic

In the final issue of Warlord, the editors state that of those launched since 1970 (post-Conan) no other mainstream comic book has survived until 1988.

Obviously they missed PPSSM, or noted it as an ASM-spinoff.

In the final issue of Warlord, the editors state that of those launched since 1970 (post-Conan) no other mainstream comic book has survived until 1988.

I actually read that issue when it came out and remembered the editorial. I believe the editors were implying original character titles...

Jim

Cerebus isn't in the conversation, just like Heavy Metal isn't. The comment in the editorial, either directly or indirectly, referred to mainstream comics from Marvel, DC, etc.

And the number of issues is superfluous as well, as it's the YEAR/DURATION that was under examination. Those don't match up due to bi-monthly, bi-weekly, etc. schedules.

Cerebus isn't in the conversation, just like Heavy Metal isn't. The comment in the editorial, either directly or indirectly, referred to mainstream comics from Marvel, DC, etc.

And the number of issues is superfluous as well, as it's the YEAR/DURATION that was under examination. Those don't match up due to bi-monthly, bi-weekly, etc. schedules.

I had stopped buying Warlord somewhere in the #50s, so I haven't read the editorial, but I'm wondering if they meant as of the moment Warlord stopped publication, it was the longest-lived post-1970 comic up to that point. (shrug)

Warlord began #1 in January/February 1976

Spectacular Spider-Man began #1 in December 1976

So by the time the December 1988 issues rolled off the presses, Warlord had been around longer.

Likewise Cerebus did not debut until 1977.

I had stopped buying Warlord somewhere in the #50s, so I haven't read the editorial, but I'm wondering if they meant as of the moment Warlord stopped publication, it was the longest-lived post-1970 comic up to that point. (shrug)

Warlord began #1 in January/February 1976

Spectacular Spider-Man began #1 in December 1976

So by the time the December 1988 issues rolled off the presses, Warlord had been around longer.

Likewise Cerebus did not debut until 1977.

It was clear from the editorial, if I'm remembering correctly, the editors were referring to original series' from the Big Two. That would disqualify Spectacular and Cerebus...

That's at least the impression I got after reading it...

Jim

Turned out to be a pretty good debate here.

Heavy Metal is a magazine. Cerebus is a comic book.

Cerebus might be a Modern comic & not a Bronze comic (a question of content not date of first publication), but it is still a comic...even with the oversized earlier issues, it is still a comic book.

Turned out to be a pretty good debate here.

Heavy Metal is a magazine. Cerebus is a comic book.

Cerebus might be a Modern comic & not a Bronze comic (a question of content not date of first publication), but it is still a comic...even with the oversized earlier issues, it is still a comic book.

And today Cerebus is probably the right answer if talking comics from all publishers...

Jim