• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Mysteries #5

34 posts in this topic

So you pre-code gurus, was this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280333269369

I was an under bidder. :mad: Anybody here win it?

this price for this book was "correct". It is, once graded ( and if it's unrestored ) a good- 1.8 or Good 2.0 ......this issue comes up for time to time in grades up to Fine 6.0........(really Scarce in high grade! ),,,,,so no great loss. You'll have another shot with some patience.

PS......It is a major KEY in the pre-code esoteric world...so good eye! (thumbs u

I personally can't bring myself to spend a couple hundred bucks on a low grade comic book. I've seen this one come up on eBay over the last year in better shape... it'll come up again. Just sit tight, because if your luck is like mine, a good deal will come around after you break-down and settle for something.

Andy at www.goldustcomics.com has a nice Fine copy for $ 975 with white pages, it's real sharp and he offers time payments.A copy in that shape is probably going to be one of the nicer copies in existence.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'd go for it if I was you....if I hadn't decided to focus on an FF 1, I'd have snagged it already. With the classic Wolverton "Swamp Monster" story and that radical cover, it's definitely a precode key. I doubt you'll ever get buyer's remorse from that one.Andy's a very tight grader. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe ADAMSTRANGE could post his awesome copy that I've seen him post before.

If your reading this, Mr. Strange, what were the circumstances involving the purchase of that copy ?

When did you get it and is it a pedigree ?

Did you pick it up before the rapid acceleration in prices for pre-code horror.

If anyone has scans of the Wolverton Swamp Monster story, could you please post it ? Maybe they are online somewhere, I don't know.

Funny that this book is generally pretty scarce and three copies were on ebay in one weeks time.

Here is the auction that Pinball posted the link to, it sold for $222

WeirdMyst5223.jpg

This one sold for $146

wm5146.jpg

AND, while this one has a really clean cover image the staples are holding on from the back only. Went for $546

wm5546.jpg

The seller photographed the splash page of the Swamp Monster story, which looks pretty awesome. I've never seen it before.

swampmonstersplashWM5.jpg

Does anyone have the pricing info and/or grades of the two nice copies that sold on Comic Link (maybe six months ago).

As I recall , they were sold for very reasonable prices.

Don't know about 6 months ago, but I remember that something like a year ago they had one in 7.5? Don't recall the final price as I can't find my notes on that auction :makepoint:

I searched for a long time for a nice copy of WM #5 and finally found a VG which I purchased. Since that time (5 years ago?), I have seen mostly in the G - VG range and maybe one or two that were better than that. A Fine copy should sell for about 1K.

Does anyone have the pricing info and/or grades of the two nice copies that sold on Comic Link (maybe six months ago).

As I recall , they were sold for very reasonable prices.

Don't know about 6 months ago, but I remember that something like a year ago they had one in 7.5? Don't recall the final price as I can't find my notes on that auction :makepoint:

Yeah, it may have been about a year ago. And they had TWO graded copies end about the same time. I seem to remember the 7.5 selling for around $1100, which seemed like a bargain.

The other , slightly lesser copy, maybe a 6.5 sold , as I recall, shy of $700.

I wish I could find the post where this was commented on.