• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists whose COMMISSIONS are worth the wait and $ Money ?

15 posts in this topic

As the summer convention circuit comes near, I was wondering if anyone had feedback to which artists are worth (a relative and subjective evaluation, I know!) the prices they command as well as any comments on the time it takes to get it done at a convention in person or through the mail.

Who brings their game to the drawing board and produces the finest art for the money?

Who falls asleep at the wheel? (or is hit/miss based on the quality of the artwork and fees charged)

Who draws better commissions than their published artwork? (and Vice Versa)

I know when it comes to going to conventions and deciding which line to run to first, and where to invest your money, it's always literally a dillema that pulls fans in all directions trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

Factor in waiting in line for an artist, only to find out 1) they're running late for the show and you either squat in the line for who knows how long or abandon ship and go to the next line; 2) they're not doing sketches; or 3) the list is capped.

Just seeing if anyone has any insight on the good artists who are GREAT as well as the great artists who can be not so good...

Thanks!

I still recommend a pen/ink illo that you commission from Mike Kaluta for about $100. It may take him 14 months to complete it but due to the delay, he usually includes a more detailed background to the drawing.

"Patience is a virue." Mike Golden. :wishluck:

As the summer convention circuit comes near, I was wondering if anyone had feedback to which artists are worth (a relative and subjective evaluation, I know!) the prices they command as well as any comments on the time it takes to get it done at a convention in person or through the mail.

Who brings their game to the drawing board and produces the finest art for the money?

Who falls asleep at the wheel? (or is hit/miss based on the quality of the artwork and fees charged)

Who draws better commissions than their published artwork? (and Vice Versa)

I know when it comes to going to conventions and deciding which line to run to first, and where to invest your money, it's always literally a dillema that pulls fans in all directions trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

Factor in waiting in line for an artist, only to find out 1) they're running late for the show and you either squat in the line for who knows how long or abandon ship and go to the next line; 2) they're not doing sketches; or 3) the list is capped.

Just seeing if anyone has any insight on the good artists who are GREAT as well as the great artists who can be not so good...

Thanks!

At cons: The following have been pretty good (never got a hughes)

Stuart Sayger blows it out of the park each time

Bob McLeod

Phil Noto

Adam Hughes (if he picks you)

Barry Kitson (they are free and awesome, but expect to be in line all show)

Tony Harris

Ethan

to name a few

Darwyn Cooke's convention pieces are amazing.

They are well worth at least double his asking price.

C

my 2c

Budd Root :cloud9:

Tim Vigil has great ink work

Joe Linsner does very solid con work, for a variety of price ranges

David Williams - quality Color marker work!

Buzz!!

Jose Johann Jaro

Chris Moreno - can draw anything you can imagine, great humor

on a budget (i.e. looking for free) but willing to wait in line?

Kenneth Rocafort does detailed pencil or ink

EBAS, although if into something detailed you'll want to get a commission

ditto for Jim Balent

Darwyn still does convention sketches? I know he does some to benefit some charity, but does he actually take a list anymore?

Depends on the show, and how many days he is there, but YES he will take a list.

He did this for me at Heroes in Charlotte in 2008

CookeWWHeroes08_02-16-2009_19-41-10.jpg

Hmmmm.... hm

Now why do you suppose that I'm not at all surprised by your choice. ;):cool:

Eduardo Barreto. His commissions are right up there with his published work. It took him 3 months and it is my favorite commission.

Starfire_barreto_Commission.jpg

Here are some suggestions. I have great commissions/free sketches from all of these guys

Ethan Van Sciver He has gotten a little more expensive over time but still worth it

Eduardo Barreto He does amazing free sketches and his commissions are out of the park

Dave Mckean If you are wanting to go high end (800 and up) he is the way to go but talk to his rep in advance as he only does 5 per show

Kenneth Rocafort His sketches are sometimes better than other artist paid commissions

Ben Templesmith His commissions are alittle pricey but worth it

JH Williams The amount of detail he puts in his art is amazing.

These are just a few suggestions.