• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oregon board members meet in Eugene

65 posts in this topic

How great is it to talk to people online for ages and then finally get an opportunity for a face to face .....IN A COMIC SHOP !! Special thanks to Dennis (theshadowknows) for allowing us to congregate in his shop "Hookers Sport Cards and Comics" for a couple hours, so that we could talk comics and show some of our prize collectables to each other.

I want to start off right here at the begining saying that I wish I would have taken more pictures.....especially of everyones books. But thats what happens when the conversation is rollin..... camera? what camera.......oh yea.....that thing.

Luckily.....and at least....... I managed to get a shot of every person there.....except for William...who saved the day and got a group shot of all of us. together. William is Dannys' (dwip99) son.

Here is the meeting hall.....

IMG_4305.jpg

And here is Dennis (theshadowknows) himself......

IMG_4307.jpg

Dennis had a great selection of pre-code horror books, some Frazetta Famous Funnies, early Strange Tales and just a bunch of other stuff. Not only that but the walls were full of short boxes full of comics.

Heres (from left to right) Royce (DesignerToast) and Danny (dwip99) discussing Dannys' Tomb of Dracula #1. The 20cent Marvel book from '72.

IMG_4309.jpg

Rhonda (CycleGirl) brought some beautiful Spiderman books including #135 with Punishers' second appearance, and a stunning XMEN #36 and a #50 with a beautiful Steranko cover.

IMG_4310.jpg

Dan (dunefan) blew us all away with 3 full boxes of high grade 60's marvel stuff. I would have really liked to have an hour alone with one of those boxes. The sheer beauty of that much flawless marvel artwork just makes a comic fan drool.....

Good thing they were all in plastics with backer boards.

IMG_4311.jpg

Dennis, Dan and Rhonda talking comic goodness.....

IMG_4312.jpg

Sadly....these were the only books I have pictures of....the prize and chief issue being Raceway and His Rolling Weapon #1 by Ken Kwilinski......which each of these people after secretly taking me aside.....tried desparately to get away from me......but to no avail.

IMG_4355.jpg

And finally.....the group shot.....taken by Danny (dwip99) son....who was just a little guy....but WOW.....could he handle a camera !! From left to right.....

Dan (dunefan) ....Danny (dwip99).....Royce (designerToast).....Mike (Senormac) holding Ken Kwilinski's masterpiece.....Dennis (theshadowknows)....and Rhonda (CycleGirl)

IMG_4317.jpg

It was really great to meet all of you and make your aquaintance. When I see you online I will now have a much better picture of who I am talking to. Sorry we missed Mike (lizards2) who was unable to make the trip.....and of course Dave (thehumantorch) who stood us up......

Hope some of you can post up any pictures you got......Dan?

Thanks for the photos, and glad to hear it was a success :thumbsup:

- sorry I missed..., :sorry:

Mike

Looks like you guys had a great time.

10 questions:

theshadowknows has a nice looking store, how long has he been in business?

What about snacks?

Is there a book that you fell in love with, other than the Raceway wonder, natch?

How many of the group are coming to SDCC?

Cyclegirl? What's the story on her board handle? Xmen 50 has got to be one of the best SA covers.

What happened to Lizards? He always seems to be buying high grade raw books and I would love to see his collection.

Dunefan looks familiar. Dad? Dad, is that you? SA Marvel :cloud9:

Hookers? Hookers Sports Cards and Comics? Were there a lot of hookers in the store?

What happened to Lizards? He always seems to be buying high grade raw books and I would love to see his collection.

My son was injured in the wrestling tournament on Saturday, and had to withdraw from Sunday's competition. We thought it best to return home early rather than waiting around for the gathering, as we live five hours from Eugene.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

:applause: BEST: I had a great time meeting some new fellow collectors and putting faces to the board names. There were a lot of great books there. Dan (dunefan) brought a whole bunch o' high grade Marvel I had fun looking through. Rhonda (CycleGirl) had some excellent high grade SA X-Men she shared. Danny (dwip99) and son were able to make the trip after ditching some chores back north and a well timed shoe shopping trip by his other half. Mike (Senormac) had some great books - that Batman 14 is AMAZING!

:cry: WORST: MIA was lizards2 who ditched us to spend time with his son :screwy: . Dennis, Mike, and I went to the Steelhead for burgers and brew. Came time to pay the bill and I could not find my wallet, which, like lizards2, was and still is MIA. :( Luckily, no charges have been made to any of my now-canceled cards leading me to believe my wallet may surface. :wishluck:

It was great meeting everyone and we really should plan a dinner or BBQ sometime (thumbs u

My son was injured in the wrestling tournament on Saturday, and had to withdraw from Sunday's competition. We thought it best to return home early rather than waiting around for the gathering, as we live five hours from Eugene.

Sorry to hear about your son - hope your son is doing well :foryou:

Sorry to hear about your son - hope your son is doing well :foryou:

Ditto !!

Also, I hope some of Dan's pics come out. I don't think anyone took pics of books. We should have laid them out on a table or somethin...... :(

10 questions:

Toast will be there on Thursday ......

Wow, Rhonda's hair got shorter, straighter and blonder.

Dennis got older from the last pic I saw. :whistle:

My hair got gray from the CGC boards.You guys can realy age a person. :baiting:

As far as the last picture that was the only one I could find.I really dont like having my picture taken.

10 questions:

What about snacks?

Is there a book that you fell in love with, other than the Raceway wonder, natch?

Cyclegirl? What's the story on her board handle? Xmen 50 has got to be one of the best SA covers.

Hookers? Hookers Sports Cards and Comics? Were there a lot of hookers in the store?

Torch, are you one of many results of my wild oat sowing? lol

Sorry, though. You're not in the will. :/

It was really cool meeting everybody and checking out some of the books people brought. Dennis was very cool and hooked my son up with some protective sleeves for his cards and handed him a pack on the way out the door so on the ride home I got to hear William say over and over again

"That Dennis guy is really cool" and " We should go to his comic shop more often"

And my favorite "Did you know he gave me a pack of Pokeman cards" which he repeated to me, his mother and his sister about 25 times each.

The sleeves were such a huge hit he removed his comic books from his display wall and did this before he went to bed.

willspokemon.jpg

Here is a shot of our photographer with his display wall before Pokemon took over.

willswall.jpg

I agree with everyone so far we should have taken more pictures. The books were great and the conversation was educational. I am so glad we got away for the afternoon and made the trip. In the end my wife went shopping for shoes but came home with more flowers and plants for me to put in the yard...yeah more work.

Seems like the right choice to me...It would have been cool to meet you but there is always time for that. Hope your son recovers quickly.

Danny

It was really cool meeting everybody and checking out some of the books people brought. Dennis was very cool and hooked my son up with some protective sleeves for his cards and handed him a pack on the way out the door so on the ride home I got to hear William say over and over again

"That Dennis guy is really cool" and " We should go to his comic shop more often"

And my favorite "Did you know he gave me a pack of Pokeman cards" which he repeated to me, his mother and his sister about 25 times each.

The sleeves were such a huge hit he removed his comic books from his display wall and did this before he went to bed.

willspokemon.jpg

Here is a shot of our photographer with his display wall before Pokemon took over.

willswall.jpg

I agree with everyone so far we should have taken more pictures. The books were great and the conversation was educational. I am so glad we got away for the afternoon and made the trip. In the end my wife went shopping for shoes but came home with more flowers and plants for me to put in the yard...yeah more work.

William was a good kid.Very polite puting up with us bunch of comic geeks.Oh and one heck of a photographer. (thumbs u

willspokemon.jpg

willswall.jpg

William was a good kid.Very polite puting up with us bunch of comic geeks.Oh and one heck of a photographer. (thumbs u

Great kid. Love his face although if I made it I would probably get arrested.

10 questions:

What about snacks?

I have been in business 24 years.

No snacks but we did go out to eat afterwards.Royce,Mike and myself that is.

Mikes Batman 14.And MM 58 two great books.On the SA side Rhondas xmen 50.What a great book!

As far as there being any Hookers that info was on a need to know basic I guess.And no I didnt need to know.