• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HISTORIC VAMPIRELLA #1 original art for SALE May 1st...!

21 posts in this topic

May 1st- the original artwork to the very first Vampirella story from Vampirella #1 goes up for sale at Profiles in History ...

Here's a link...

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6321402

Written by Vampi creator Forrest J. Ackerman, drawn by Tom Sutton...Pretty darn cool...!!!

best,

JONATHAN (nothing like a female vampire to warm your bed...) MANKUTA

I heard a long time ago that Danzig has it, though I don't know if anyone can confirm that. Frazetta painted over the original cover - he re-painted her nude and left her with a very awkward-looking foot where her boot used to be - so the first appearance of Vampi in her famous costume is no longer the #1 cover as far as the OA is concerned.

It will be interesting to see how the #1 story fares at auction given that (a) the cover is what people really remember from the first issue and (b) most people (from Jim Warren on down) consider issue #12 to be the true starting point for the character (given the choice, I'd much rather own the #12 than the #1 :sorry: ).

So what happens now does the buyer break it up or keep it as a story?

Don't worry, I'm not planning to break it up. ;)

Actually, it would be nice if Profiles could confirm to me that I actually won the lot; I called them on Friday and they said the auction is still going on, could I call back on Monday when they could check for me. I called today and they said that they couldn't check for me and that I'll just have to wait until I receive (or don't receive) an e-mailed invoice later this week. All that they were able to confirm is that I was "in the system", so I am assuming that they received and processed my absentee bid form correctly and that I won the lot. But, it would be nice to know for sure (paging Jon Mankuta...). :juggle:

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have (presumably) won the lot. I was going to step aside as my friend was really hot for it, but a spectacular private deal came up at the last minute that he could not turn down, so he ended up going for that instead, which cleared the way for me to take a shot at the #1 story.