• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this by Dave McKean (I say yes)?

28 posts in this topic

I have 40 signatures from dave mckean and that is not his signature. It does on the otherhand look like Kent Williams sig he sometimes does on quick sketches.

As for the art Mckean on his worst day is better than this. Kent Williams Is usually much better than this.

I personally draw better in my sleep. Both artist mentioned can draw circles around accomplished pros in their sleep. This must have been drawn in about 30 seconds or a minute.

Pssshhhh. I'd know Kent Williams' signature if I were blindfolded and hung upside down in a tank of water. This most definitely ain't his. Not even remotely close to either signature or line. I'll put a spike in that speculation right now. Not him.

Honestly, I still say it's so extremely unusual for it to be of the Batcave. Almost any artist at a Con is either in such a rush, they would do a head sketch or possibly a figure drawing, or they are so bored that they tend to put more into a sketch. Nobody's going to turn out a complete scene like this, unless they had a reason to do so. Especially not these younger guys that were just breaking into the industry at the time and hungry for a chance to prove how good they were.

To me, this looks like somebody older and established that was having a bad day.

BUT, superficially I will admit that it I thought possibly McKeever, but the siggy is all wrong.

Not the sig for Jamie Hernandez, Matt Wagner or John Bolton.

-e.

Thanks, Eric. You sound pretty certain about the kent williams info, thus saving me some research time.

Despite the name of this thread I'm prepared to rule our McKean now, also thanks to the confidence of The Collector above. I agree that because of the ears not being long is a giveaway, and even his briefest sketches of which there are loads online are beautiful, less is more seems to be his way on even what are clearly the quickest efforts. Despite its' merits, this sketch ain't beautiful.

However, there must be a similar sketch out there by our culprit with the cave, coin, flag, etc, I can't believe the artist (or writer) will never have done another sketch with this stuff on...

Our search continues.