• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Wonder What COnrad Eschenberg Thought when he first saw this book?

77 posts in this topic

Why in gods name is that book qualified and not a low grade..
people like big numbers

lol True Dat!!

But People should expect consistency and clarity of grades. This item raises some serious questions. (tsk)

I wonder if any old worthless drek of a book would garner the same qualified grade with three holes in it! WTF??? meh

Well the holes didnt enhance the grade.So it must be qualified.Or they just wanted more fees.Your choice.
:roflmao:

Hows the wee one Pat?

Hes sleeping right next to me. Mom is out playing bingo with my mother and her friend. I still cant believe my 23 year old wife is playing bingo..

And he is 15lbs. 14oz. as of today. 3 months old.

people like big numbers

lol True Dat!!

But People should expect consistency and clarity of grades. This item raises some serious questions. (tsk)

I wonder if any old worthless drek of a book would garner the same qualified grade with three holes in it! WTF??? meh

The same book would be a 3.5 if it were not an AF 15

Well the holes didnt enhance the grade.So it must be qualified.Or they just wanted more fees.Your choice.

Hows the wee one Pat?

Hes sleeping right next to me. Mom is out playing bingo with my mother and her friend. I still cant believe my 23 year old wife is playing bingo..

I dont know what is harder to believe.Your wife playing bingo or your son being 3 months

people like big numbers

lol True Dat!!

Damnn right brother!!! ANY other book..9.4? You serious?

Hows the wee one Pat?

I dont know what is harder to believe.Your wife playing bingo or your son being 3 months

They are both true.. I have to post a new pic of him soon. He is just so big. Its pretty cool.

And yea, Bingo... wth?

I don't see the big fuss... to me this is the perfect example of the qualified grade (although its certainly not the perfect example of a qualified book if you know what I mean). The point of that grade is that you have a book that would grade two, three, four full grades higher without a specific defect. As is the case here. The book is what maybe a 2.0 at best? yet its NM without that one big flaw. So the discrepancy is huge.

If you had a AF15 that was otherwise a VG with binder holes, well that wouldn't allow for a large enough discrepancy so no qualified grade (shrug)

I can see why they graded it like they did. The point though and I guess the flaw with the qualified grading is that not all qualifieds are the same. You could have a AF15 Q9.4 that is a 6.0 counting a big flaw, or a Q9.4 that is a 2.0 counting a big flaw. So really as this example is showing the Q9.4 grade is meaningless without the second grade. They should should show both grades ie. 9.4 (2.0) or just not use green labels altogether. Because a 2.0 and a 6.0 get the same "grade" in the end

:tonofbricks:

Wild guess.

It's an AF 15

It says 9.4

$15,275

It has 3 holes blasted through the cover .. I would alsoassume this just MIGHT affect the story..

An EP 9.2 got $22,705. :sick:

Well, at least that one was complete. Could you imagine trying to get this fixed. May as well get a coverless copy and have the covers fixed.

Either way this book is in a sad place.

This would be an easy book to fix for some people, and would probably grade out at apparent 9.4 or higher once the work was done.

people like big numbers

lol True Dat!!

There is a Tales of Suspense #39 with the same defect (three-ring binder holes) that also got a higher grade and a green label.

:tonofbricks:

Wild guess.

It's an AF 15

It says 9.4

$15,275

It has 3 holes blasted through the cover .. I would alsoassume this just MIGHT affect the story..

An EP 9.2 got $22,705. :sick:

Well, at least that one was complete. Could you imagine trying to get this fixed. May as well get a coverless copy and have the covers fixed.

Either way this book is in a sad place.

This would be an easy book to fix for some people, and would probably grade out at apparent 9.4 or higher once the work was done.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw this book, Scott. SA book..only 8 wraps and 1 cover to Leaf Cast. Minimal CT and poof, a complete book. Since the book is in such HG condition to start with, it certainly would have a shot at upper the 9's.

I'd think an amateur could easily restore this in a reversible way. Simply print the missing elements on archival paper and slip it loosely in place beneath the cover. Possible issues would be ink transfer to the inside FC, maybe (very slight maybe methinks) dent where the insert would sit after a very long period of time. not true restoration, just takes the focus off the holes.

You rich guys can diss this copy all you want, I'd be thrilled to own it.