• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about submitting.. For board members.

38 posts in this topic

When I submitted my books on the form it says FMV (fair market value). I posted maximum OSPG on HG books. Is this proper? I was browsing the site and all, but found no way to calculate FMV on books.

I've always based it on the grade I think the book will get and actual realized prices (like GPA). I figure if a book gets lost or damaged, it's insured for a realistic amount. I might be costing myself more in shipping costs, but it's worth the peace of mind.

Don't worry. When a book you sub grades high and brings it to a higher tier, you will get a phone call telling you so. And those are the best phone calls to get :)

Don't worry. When a book you sub grades high and brings it to a higher tier, you will get a phone call telling you so. And those are the best phone calls to get :)

I sub a lot on the value tier -- the greatest call is, hey, you owe us more money -- b/c your book is way better than you thought it was.

When I submitted my books on the form it says FMV (fair market value). I posted maximum OSPG on HG books. Is this proper? I was browsing the site and all, but found no way to calculate FMV on books.

I've always based it on the grade I think the book will get and actual realized prices (like GPA). I figure if a book gets lost or damaged, it's insured for a realistic amount. I might be costing myself more in shipping costs, but it's worth the peace of mind.

i use this method- but i've also gotten the bump call as well.

Hmm. I sent in a bunch of Byrne X-Men. How do the figure out the new charge? Damnit, now I have to worry the bill is going to be more..

I sub a lot on the value tier -- the greatest call is, hey, you owe us more money -- b/c your book is way better than you thought it was.

If the book is worse than you thought, do they refund you money?

Don't work that way bud lol

Don't work that way bud lol

doh!

:roflmao:

Value tier is the lowest tier so how would you get a refund? ????

Value tier is the lowest tier so how would you get a refund? ????

I wasn't specifically talking about the value tier.

However, let's take the two following tiers to illustrate where I was heading.

1) Economy Tier (40 business days) (Max. Value of $250 /ea.) ($29.00 per book)

2) Value Tier (40 business days) (Max. Value of $100 /ea.) ($21.00 per book with a 30 book min. submission)

Let's say you want to submit 30 books that you think have a value of about $200 each and would like them done in about 40 days. This forces you to submit them under the more expensive "Economy" tier and pay $29 per book.

Now...let's say that your grading skills aren't what they used to be, and upon encapsulation, it turns out the books are each only worth about $80. Hence, they actually could have been submitted under the "Value" tier at a lower cost of only $21 per book and with the exact same turn around time.

Since you initially overestimated the value of the books (and the cost to submit them), I was just wondering if CGC would refund the extra $8 per book that you overpaid. Apparently not.

Can someone explain how the FMV % works, if I do have to pay extra for a book?

Let's say you submit a Spidey #127 under the economy tier and hope it gets a 9.6. GPA on that book is around $200 in 9.6. So that's easily under the $250 maximum value for economy submissions. But let's say the book grades out at 9.8. And GPA for that book is closer to $800. In that case, you might get a call from CGC saying that they have to bump the submission to the standard tier. And you owe them the price difference between the submission the economy fee and the standard fee ($49-$29=$20).

In my experience, CGC hasn't been too hardcore about the bumps. The book probably has to be worth a good chunk more than the maximum in a tier. And if you do get that call, it's never a bad thing.

Pat - I think FMV only really comes into play on very high-dollar books. Besides, like some have said, getting that call will make you more than happy to pay the extra dough. It's going to substantially increase the dollar value of the book. (thumbs u

Let's say you submit a Spidey #127 under the economy tier and hope it gets a 9.6. GPA on that book is around $200 in 9.6. So that's easily under the $250 maximum value for economy submissions. But let's say the book grades out at 9.8. And GPA for that book is closer to $800. In that case, you might get a call from CGC saying that they have to bump the submission to the standard tier. And you owe them the price difference between the submission the economy fee and the standard fee ($49-$29=$20).

In my experience, CGC hasn't been too hardcore about the bumps. The book probably has to be worth a good chunk more than the maximum in a tier. And if you do get that call, it's never a bad thing.

Understood. Everything I submitted was in the soon to be axed portion of the modern tier. My only concern is the cash aspect. I used a bit much more then I should have to submit what I did. But if I get the call, so be it. Cant mean anyting bad other then sending in more cash.