• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does writing on the back cover effect grade?

15 posts in this topic

I am not slagging this book i just trying to understand how it got an 8.5 grade with the writing on the back cover.

From other examples i have seen, would that not be a GLOD book? Or is this a way around the GLOD buy getting it SS'd.

Also is there a PLOD SS designation in the CGC? Or again could this be a way to get rid of the PLOD label and get it SS'd?

Sorry for all the question just trying to understand the grading system.

asm_70_ss85_bc.JPG

asm_70_ss85.JPG

This qualifies under the "date stamp" rule and doesn't get knocked. Date stamps have to be small and/or unobtrusive. If you had a date stamp that took up half the front cover, it'd be a defect.

As a date stamp, it's probably not getting graded down, but it may get dinged for the resulting indentations left by the ballpoint pen. Just a guess.

And I've asked the exact same question regarding a qualified SS label. There is a Restored SS label, but there is no qualified SS label. Let's say you have a book that's a Qualified 9.8 except with the defect being a cleanly cut corner off the back cover. If you got that book signed and SS'd, the grade would now reflect the defect.

Hope it helps.

Did you call CGC and get the grader notes on the book? Might help you understand why the book was graded as it was. It's probably an accumulation of minor flaws that dropped it to 8.5

Abraded urc, bottom edge wear, writing on the BC(large writing)

I think what he's asking is how did it get a 8.5 with the writing on back cover. I too thought that kind of writing required a lower grade than 8.5 but maybe because its a date and not scribble even though its the wrong date? Either way I know its a big deal for some folks. I dont like writing so I remove it (except for signatures. I think those are neat) for better or for worse.

Did you call CGC and get the grader notes on the book? Might help you understand why the book was graded as it was. It's probably an accumulation of minor flaws that dropped it to 8.5

I have a question also. This book also has a slight mis-wrap/bindery defect. Ive seen miswraps that were very slight, and some huge. How hard does CGC hit a book for this, or does it depend on the severity of the mis-wrap. (thumbs u

DRX

wow look at all that writing on a 9.0. That really doesnt seem like a 9.0 to me.

It's kind of hard to see in the scan, but the writing is not just thru the logo. There is also a big "X" written thru the center of the book.

No doubt it got a bump b/c it's the "Pay Copy". It is a nice book, but I think the writing should've been downgraded as it's far to much to fall under the "date stamp" rule, historic provenance or not.

wow look at all that writing on a 9.0. That really doesnt seem like a 9.0 to me.

It's kind of hard to see in the scan, but the writing is not just thru the logo. There is also a big "X" written thru the center of the book.

No doubt it got a bump b/c it's the "Pay Copy". It is a nice book, but I think the writing should've been downgraded as it's far to much to fall under the "date stamp" rule, historic provenance or not.

I agree that the book is not a technical 9.0 because of the writing, but I don't mind the grade given to this book because the potential buyers are not misled by the label. Anyone who looks at the book can see that the 9.0 refers only to the structural grade of the book without the writing, and the writing is clearly stated on the label. Also, the writing is not something that was done by a consumer after the book was sold. The writing was done by the publisher to denote important historical facts about the production of the book. If this book were autographed on the cover by all of the artists and writers who worked on the stories and the cover, the book would not be downgraded for that even though the amount of writing on the cover would probably exceed what is there now.

I have a question also. This book also has a slight mis-wrap/bindery defect. Ive seen miswraps that were very slight, and some huge. How hard does CGC hit a book for this, or does it depend on the severity of the mis-wrap. (thumbs u

DRX

I honestly do not think CGC takes into account QP issues at all, I have seen 9.8 books with some fugly miswraps or bad miscuts for that matter. They grade a comic more for its physical flaws, not how well it was manufactured. Which I personally don't agree 100% with, but that just more a personal preference with me.

And sorry I misunderstood the OP question, to me it all comes down to the writing is on the BC, which is probably not downgraded as much compared to if it were on the FC. Same with date stamps, it matters where they are placed when deciding how much to downgrade.

This is all just a guess on my part because I lost my CGC grading manual in a flood.

Writing on the front cover doesn't affect the front cover in some cases either....

marvel-comics-1-pay-copy.jpg

Thanks for the image, Rob.

If ever there was an exception to the rule it would be books like this. Now whether or not there should be exceptions is open for debate, but I would lean towards Scott's rational because it is better then anything I could come up with.

I agree that the book is not a technical 9.0 because of the writing, but I don't mind the grade given to this book because the potential buyers are not misled by the label. Anyone who looks at the book can see that the 9.0 refers only to the structural grade of the book without the writing, and the writing is clearly stated on the label. Also, the writing is not something that was done by a consumer after the book was sold. The writing was done by the publisher to denote important historical facts about the production of the book. If this book were autographed on the cover by all of the artists and writers who worked on the stories and the cover, the book would not be downgraded for that even though the amount of writing on the cover would probably exceed what is there now.

So you can grade a book minus the writing and then just disclose it? I wish I new exactly what CGC's grading criteria was.Also I thought signatures were counted as defects. I read that in the 2004 Overstreet grading guide. Havent bought the new one yet.

Hey Scott! :hi:

We've had this discussion before...My point is that the book is NOT a 9.0. Structurally it may be, but the writing downgrades it. It got a grade bump due to the fact that it's the Pay Copy. CGC should've put it in a Green Label if they wanted to keep the high grade on it. Otherwise, give it the grade you would give everything else.

Do you think it would sell for any less with a lower grade? It's the Pay Copy and, if it weren't for all that writing, it would be a 9.0. I think it would sell for close to the same amount.

As far as the signature comment, I assume you mean Sig Series? I"ll probably get slayed for this, Yellow Label is a Green Label in disguise. :gossip:

Albeit, a much cooler Green Label.