• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does CGC mean when they say

25 posts in this topic

Restoration includes: cover reinforced with glue.

I can't see anything visible on the front cover of this book I have.

Is it something detectable under black light?

And under the 'Apparent'... it says Slight (P)?

I'm new to this CGC stuff.

Well , they can tell somehow about glue, and (P) is good ! (it means it's prob. removable and doesn't bleed thru .

There are better professionals here if they aren't asleep or drunk.

B~

I recently had an avengers 1 come back the same as yours, slight p with a small amount of glue on cover. I had the glue removed and it not only came back with a blue label but a half point higher. Glue is an easy fix if your book is worth the cost of having it removed.

Could you post a scan of the book, is it an old label?

Reason I ask is the term "cover reinforced with glue " is a new one to me.

For starters I would call CGC and ask for the grader notes.

Well , they can tell somehow about glue, and (P) is good ! (it means it's prob. removable and doesn't bleed thru .

There are better professionals here if they aren't asleep or drunk.

B~

The (P) stands for "Professional". Your other option was (A) for "Amateur".

Sorry it's taken me almost 2 years to get back to this post... lol

Here's the label.

55-1.jpg

I know a bit more now about resto and CGC and all that since my first post here back in '09 but I don't see this too often.

'Cover reinforced with glue'

I'm curious as to what's involved with that process... :shrug:

I get the gist of the original post, though. Certainly we've all seen "glue on cover", but it's rather uncommon to see "cover reinforced with glue". In the original poster's favor is that if the glue is only "reinforcing", it may be more easily removed and possibly the book could be re-submitted to "earn" a blue/universal grade.

But I certainly have never owned one labelled in that fashion, so I don't know what one could do with the book, ultimately.

BTW: Where's that "beating a dead horse" icon? Aren't horses rendered into glue??

I'm assuming that glue can be used to either create a tear seal or simply reinforce already existing paper.

To remove it you may have to scrape it if it doesn't come off with a solvent and in that case there would be paper damage and color loss.

I'm assuming that glue can be used to either create a tear seal or simply reinforce already existing paper.

Yeah, that's the part that confuses me I guess... if glue was used to create a tear seal wouldn't it be labeled as such? I'm guessing that whatever was done isn't very common.

I'll post a pic of the book as well...

I get the gist of the original post, though. Certainly we've all seen "glue on cover", but it's rather uncommon to see "cover reinforced with glue". In the original poster's favor is that if the glue is only "reinforcing", it may be more easily removed and possibly the book could be re-submitted to "earn" a blue/universal grade.

But I certainly have never owned one labelled in that fashion, so I don't know what one could do with the book, ultimately.

BTW: Where's that "beating a dead horse" icon? Aren't horses rendered into glue??

Right here JB.......Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Called to get the grading notes...

Most likely the reinforcement with the glue was applied in the staple area and the grading breakdown was 5.0 / 5.5 / 5.5.

Mystery solved! :)

I once had a Playboy #1 come back as spine re inforced with semen

Well, I think it is time to give myself more to Christ..and spend less time collecting and hoarding and more time helping people...Comics and your collections can't take you but so far. I desire a deeper purpose. I feel God wants me to focus more on music (to play sounds that glorify His name) and more on helping those in need instead of throwing money at material possessions that will never last eternal. To those who know me, yes I am a hypocrite. Paul claim to be the worst sinner of all..I claim the second place if that's possible.I am in no way judging my fellow collectors. Everyone has their purpose, I am discovering mine. And to those i have hurt in the past. I am so sorry.I am so sorry. I still love you. I am so far from perfect myself. Material possessions and the profound attachments we have to them are but for a season and these present moments will soon disappear, quietly, slowly in the night. I yearn for piece of mind . Anyone who has suffered through religious doubt, scrupples, uncertainty...perhaps I can help.....I say all these things in the most humble way possible, for I myself am nothing. We need each other. Let us all stay focused on the true purpose and be strong. Excelsior!!!

What does Jesus think about your jiz jokes?