• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does seller's reputation sell the book or does the book sell itself?

145 posts in this topic

Mary may have never been a "collector" but I certaintly was. Obviously, by the amount of books I have accumulated over the years, as a child. As an adult, with a family, unfortuantley I can not afford to be as avid and passionate as most of you. I give you credit. I loved reading these books each week, to every two weeks.

I enjoy watching them play out on the movie screen with my children.

With that said, When I realized that my grandfather had saved these, I was thrilled to look at them, but disheartend that they were not stored the proper way. I was just going to toss them, when my wife said that maybe we can get a few dollars for them, to those who really still enjoy comic book collecting.

I give her credit for the research done, finding a bunch of knowledgeable people to sell too, and the hard work she has put into this. She means no harm, and I cant blame her for being frusterated. She has been upfront and honest in all her sales. She has never tried to "scam" or "gouge" her prices. Sorry if she does not know the "ins" and "outs" of selling. She collects many other things, and if you were to come into a forum about what she is passionate about, she would never second guess you, and lend a hand in any way possible. Isn't that what its all about anyway?

The Husband.

Someone predicted this a while ago...

Your comments are water on a ducks back. Im in about the best place someone my age could possibly be in considering where i came from. Im just giving you prime opportunity to show your true colors. Nice job btw.

IF I am a shill.
No ifs about it....

I really do wish mary luck as she seems genuine to me . I just think the forums are very tough place for people from outside the hobby to sell. The whole 'I would rather sell to you guys than the random ppl on ebay' just seems odd to me as the people here are the same people on ebay and you dont know us either so arent we all just random peeps? Ebay would probably be 1/64th the headache as well (shrug)

why not offer some advice to how she can sell more books!
Distance yourself from returner/matt68/? as far as possible.

I really do wish mary luck as she seems genuine to me . I just think the forums are very tough place for people from outside the hobby to sell. The whole 'I would rather sell to you guys than the random ppl on ebay' just seems odd to me as the people here are the same people on ebay and you dont know us either so arent we all just random peeps? Ebay would probably be 1/64th the headache as well (shrug)

why not offer some advice to how she can sell more books!
Distance yourself from returner/matt68/? as far as possible.

Well Green, once again, you are showing your true colors. Oh, and I like the bit about "the best place you could be in considering..." Is that supposed to make me think you had a rough childhood and allow your prickish attitude now? Too bad. We've all had it rough at times. Doesn't give you the right to be an a**. And IF I am a shill, then why on earth do people buy/sell with me here?

As for you comments on CGC Forums vs. Ebay, Mary did the same thing I did for probably the same reasons. Yes, there are ways to try to determine what your book/books are worth, but when it comes down to it, all that info means squat unless you know the market and the trends. In that respect, the board is a better place to go because most of the guys on here are avid collectors. Make sense to me.

More importantly, no FEES! True, you have to deal with a few "colorful" jerks on here, but all in all, I'd rather sell to a collector here than some joe-blow on the bay with their charges and PayPal's cut too!

Comments like

look at that littlejohnson

How cute.

guys like you and grinder are a dime a dozen on here

it really is pathetic that someone's greatest accomplishment in life is trying to be a Comic Board Detective. Jesus

I have to stand up and give a little shove back

Why are you upset about someone posting links to your past unless those links are less than flattering? You may be a great guy in person and I'm glad you have been able to make some great buying and selling deals on the board. Rather than push back in this thread and give us another cluster duck to link to in the future you might consider recognizing what went wrong in past threads. Rather than insult you I'm attempting to logically communicate with you.

Mary's books are not selling because they are common in the grade listed and do not sell anywhere near guide. Keep dropping the price until they sell.

Oh, I know what went wrong in the past threads. It all started out in the very beginning. Newbies need a guide to start out on here because if you do or say or especially word one little thing wrong, it is misconstrued and you are branded for your life on the boards. OMG, without getting into a huge detailed discussion about my beginnings on here, lets just say that my 1st experience on the boards mirrors Mary's in quite a few respects; we were both brand new to the boards, we had a book/books we were looking to sell, we didn't have much if any comic experience. Now granted, I had collected Star Wars books and some X-Men when I was a little older, but I wasn't the diehard, super-knowledgable comic veteran like a lot of the guys on here. We both went about it in what I feel was the right way. We asked questions, looked for advice, and took it. God forbid we be quick learners because all of a sudden we look like "fakes" or "shills" when we start talking the talk and learning the lingo and ins and outs of the CGC Boards. Both her and I got a ton of PM's asking/offering about our books, mostly from guys that later became hostile. Not our fault we werent stupid little kids with a Fantastic Four #1 we didn't know squat about and were willing to give away to the first taker. My mistake, well, it wasnt a mistake so much as misfortune, was to have that X-men #1 come up restored. I NEVER tried to sell it until I had it checked, but the damamge was done. Too many angry people.

So Torch,when you ask me to look back and determine "what went worng" in the past, I would say it was coming onto a board where you'd expect friendly people and good advice, and are met with some very bitter, paranoid, angry little men that atttack and belittle and accuse for whatever personal reasons they may have. I hate to say this, but when all is said and done, I should have just taken that X-Men #1 to Ebay or a local comic store and been done with it.

Matt, I'm still trying to communicate with you without using negative language, much as I did in those original threads. Calling us names and getting upset is the wrong approach, relax and try to look at it logically. In those threads you did get good advice, and you had your share of paranoid questions. You don't seem to recognize that those paranoid questions are part of the normal "discovery" phase that on-line forum members use to verify if you are legit and trustworthy. It's the nature of a virtual medium, we can't talk face to face and we can't inspect the book in person so we ask questions.

Getting upset and insulting us will not help.

How can a thread with so much hostility manage to be so boring? zzz

Comments like

How cute.

it really is pathetic that someone's greatest accomplishment in life is trying to be a Comic Board Detective. Jesus

Why are you upset about someone posting links to your past unless those links are less than flattering? You may be a great guy in person and I'm glad you have been able to make some great buying and selling deals on the board. Rather than push back in this thread and give us another cluster duck to link to in the future you might consider recognizing what went wrong in past threads. Rather than insult you I'm attempting to logically communicate with you.

Mary's books are not selling because they are common in the grade listed and do not sell anywhere near guide. Keep dropping the price until they sell.

Oh, I know what went wrong in the past threads. It all started out in the very beginning. Newbies need a guide to start out on here because if you do or say or especially word one little thing wrong, it is misconstrued and you are branded for your life on the boards. OMG, without getting into a huge detailed discussion about my beginnings on here, lets just say that my 1st experience on the boards mirrors Mary's in quite a few respects; we were both brand new to the boards, we had a book/books we were looking to sell, we didn't have much if any comic experience. Now granted, I had collected Star Wars books and some X-Men when I was a little older, but I wasn't the diehard, super-knowledgable comic veteran like a lot of the guys on here. We both went about it in what I feel was the right way. We asked questions, looked for advice, and took it. God forbid we be quick learners because all of a sudden we look like "fakes" or "shills" when we start talking the talk and learning the lingo and ins and outs of the CGC Boards. Both her and I got a ton of PM's asking/offering about our books, mostly from guys that later became hostile. Not our fault we werent stupid little kids with a Fantastic Four #1 we didn't know squat about and were willing to give away to the first taker. My mistake, well, it wasnt a mistake so much as misfortune, was to have that X-men #1 come up restored. I NEVER tried to sell it until I had it checked, but the damamge was done. Too many angry people.

So Torch,when you ask me to look back and determine "what went worng" in the past, I would say it was coming onto a board where you'd expect friendly people and good advice, and are met with some very bitter, paranoid, angry little men that atttack and belittle and accuse for whatever personal reasons they may have. I hate to say this, but when all is said and done, I should have just taken that X-Men #1 to Ebay or a local comic store and been done with it.

Matt, I'm still trying to communicate with you without using negative language, much as I did in those original threads. Calling us names and getting upset is the wrong approach, relax and try to look at it logically. In those threads you did get good advice, and you had your share of paranoid questions. You don't seem to recognize that those paranoid questions are part of the normal "discovery" phase that on-line forum members use to verify if you are legit and trustworthy. It's the nature of a virtual medium, we can't talk face to face and we can't inspect the book in person so we ask questions.

Torch,

All I can say is you have your reputation tarnished or have someone call you a shill and see how calm you are. Paranoid questions are fine, even understandable. But when you have certain losers on here that enjoy starting junk and playing the keyboard tough guy, it's ridiculous. I don't know this "green" nor do I care to. I don't go into his threads ripping on him, nor should he feel the need to come onto here and start questioning my legitimacy or intentions. Who the heck is he anyway? Is he the new CGC Police? Keeper of the CGC archives? Lonely guy w/ nothing better to do on a Saturday? It doesn't matter. I have more than proven myself here on the boards through good sales and purchases. What's his problem?

Comments like

How cute.

Dave is so dreamy :luhv:

Torch,

All I can say is you have your reputation tarnished or have someone call you a shill and see how calm you are. Paranoid questions are fine, even understandable. But when you have certain losers on here that enjoy starting junk and playing the keyboard tough guy, it's ridiculous. I don't know this "green" nor do I care to. I don't go into his threads ripping on him, nor should he feel the need to come onto here and start questioning my legitimacy or intentions. Who the heck is he anyway? Is he the new CGC Police? Keeper of the CGC archives? Lonely guy w/ nothing better to do on a Saturday? It doesn't matter. I have more than proven myself here on the boards through good sales and purchases. What's his problem?

Comments like

How cute.

Torch,

doh!

I have no stake in this and could really care less, but I just thought I'd point out that statements like that don't help you, especially when you're the one who, through the sheer verbosity of your posts, is wasting more of his Saturday on this than anyone else.

Learn to walk away without trying to get the last word in, especially since you seem to have a problem arguing your case in a concise way, and without resorting to the use of personal attacks. The more you argue to protect your reputation, the more damage you're actually doing to it.

HA, HA My husband just told me to let you all know he watched the Origin of X-men Wolverine, bootleg. He watched it 2 weeks ago and I had no clue...Busy on this damn forum!

I porbobly would of hated it anyway! :angel:

Is he the new CGC Police?

No disrespect to Green but I think that title goes to Grinder. (shrug)

Well, Green is shooting to be the Barny Fife to Grinder's Andy Griffith!

That's not very nice. (tsk) Still, deserves this tho...................

ohsnap_cap.gif

Comments like

How cute.

Torch,

doh!

I have no stake in this and could really care less, but I just thought I'd point out that statements like that don't help you, especially when you're the one who, through the sheer verbosity of your posts, is wasting more of his Saturday on this than anyone else.

Learn to walk away without trying to get the last word in, especially since you seem to have a problem arguing your case in a concise way, and without resorting to the use of personal attacks. The more you argue to protect your reputation, the more damage you're actually doing to it.

All your base are belong to me.

Comments like

How cute.

Torch,

doh!

Well Captain, for someone with no stake in this, you should have a lot of advice to give.

As for my statements, there is no need to sweet talk these guys; kind, mean, civil, irrational...it's all the same to them. They could care less what arguments you bring, they are always ready to reply with something negative. As for arguing my "case" (I wasnt aware I was on trial), in a concise way, well I've argued it well and endlessly to no avail in the past.

Lastly, I am on here so much today because I am helping someone grade/price books through PM's, thanks for asking!

Is he the new CGC Police?

No disrespect to Green but I think that title goes to Grinder. (shrug)

Well, Green is shooting to be the Barny Fife to Grinder's Andy Griffith!

That's not very nice. (tsk) Still, deserves this tho...................

ohsnap_cap.gif

Diggler, frickin' hilarious!

Comments like

How cute.

Torch,

doh!

All your base are belong to me.

You have no chance to survive make your time.