• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought Incredible Hulk 181(Wolverine) was rare and hard to find?

107 posts in this topic

Like I said "Robert Bell" lol:insane:

It's okay David. We all respect our elders. :baiting:

sFun_oldguy.gif

sFun_grampa.gif

sFun_oldguy.gif damn straight you whippersnapper! :sumo:lol

lol

I have to find a few more of those old timer smileys. Those are pretty funny.

Wasnt Hulk 180 hotter then 181 for a long while. I still dont understand why they downgraded 180 and boosted 181. Seems like a BS move. 180 first appearance, 181 was the first story.

What's even more interesting in connection to that is that 181 was essentially a warehouse book if not one in actuality. hm

I know this may not be the best barometer, but I think it does tell us something...

I recently went through some late BA runs and took note of the Mile High ads in each issue.

Hulk 181 was not broken out in the price lists until late 79/80. In 80/81, it was listed for a few dollars more, but hardly an expensive book. For instance, in this time frame, Micronauts 1 (at $6) was about twice the cost of Hulk 181. (Conan 1 was around $75.)

By 1983, it had moved up a few notches, but was still below Hulk 102 in cost and was not as expensive as books like Star Wars 1.

Not to derail the thread but I had a conversation with a well known NY warehouse dealer about comic hoards. He said he passed up a deal of Wolverine Limited #1 10,000 copies still in the brown cases, an entire pallet full. This was in 1987 the guy wanted 25 cents per book, which was covering the cost of his investment.

one of the NYC dealers apparently ordered 15,000 copies of Avengers Annual 10 and was selling them off at shows for like 10-20 cents a pop for many years.

wolverine 1 is very common. seriously, anyone who was reading marvels in the early 80s has a few copies. it was hoarded and speculated through the roof. the only difference between it and Alpha Flight 1/New Mutants 1 is a couple of years..critical years in that by the time those other books came out, the # of dealers willing to invest in 5 - 10,000 copies of the "hot" book had seemingly multiplied. even in the mid-90s shows around here usually had people with stacks of pristine glossy copies at $5 a pop and no doubt you could have gone 3 or 4 for $10 if you bought quantity. i passed on that sort of stuff thinking that book could never be more than a $5 book and "wisely" invested in mid-grade copies of mid-60s daredevils, thors, TTA, TOS, green lanterns, etcs. oh sure, i made plenty of purchases that worked out well too. it's a krap shoot sometimes.

aw jeez, you should just change your name to mr.negative. other than sellers right now on ebay, who is out there saying hulk 181 is rare and hard to find? go to any show and you can find plenty of copies of 179 and 183 in bargain boxes. So why would 181 (and its siblings, 180 and 182) be rare and hard to find? nobody has (seriously) ever said it is HTF. maybe in 9.8.

as has been said hundreds if not thousands of times on this board (and probably in this thread), the "value" of that book has little to do with rarity. it is a mid-70s mainstream marvel. there's nothing rare about it. it is simply the most highly sought after book of that era. end of story. one would think GS X-Men 1 should be, and it was for a long time, but add up all the "new" characters in that book and they don't add up to Wolvie, not by a long shot.

obviously there's money to be made, just like every other poster has noted, so people are selling, just like when hundreds of ASM 300s were being sold before the last spidey movie or the Spotlight 5s 2 years ago (admittedly, slightly less common than Hulk 181, but not at all uncommon --I've owned 3 copies of the book and never even sought out a copy)

I am just shocked,shocked and shocked at it`s abundance, now I can see why the real rare books are the golden age ones like Action 1 and Detective 27. I learn something new on CGC everyday. :)

And to be honest, even those are common compared to some of the rare GA books

(thumbs u