• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm glad I checked eBay one last time tonight!

28 posts in this topic

Take a look at the scan and judge for yourself. (BTW, if you see some wavy crinkling, it’s the plastic comic cover and not on the actual comic book itself—honest!)

893crossfingers-thumb.gifgrin.gif

He is selling his whole collection including tons of Marvels.

I must ask him if he has an 11 to go with that 13. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah! Now all I need is an upgrade to my 11 and maybe my 22.

Then I'm clear back to 3, but 3-5 will need upgrading down the road.

He requires instant payment too! frown.gif

I'd use the BINs on some of those ASM and JIMs but I didn't have enough in my Paypal account.

I doubt they will last much longer... sorry.gif

Too bad he won't ship outside of USA. Reasonable prices. frown.gif

Send the seller an email. Usually if you ask beforehand, will pay extra for shipping and have good feedback, sellers will ship internationally even if their listing says they won't. Can't hurt and doesn't cost you anything.

This would have been gone in the morning...

Oh my! A nice FF13 for only $60!!!

893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like a VG+/VGF to me doesn't it?

I don't know what 5.0s have been getting, but slabbed 6.0s have been getting $250ish.

And how much Restored 4.5/5.0s have been getting ? confused.gif

I'm eager to see this one slabbed... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This would have been gone in the morning...

Oh my! A nice FF13 for only $60!!!

893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like a VG+/VGF to me doesn't it?

I don't know what 5.0s have been getting, but slabbed 6.0s have been getting $250ish.

I almost hopped on that one, but his Good/Very Good grading scared me off... decent looking scan notwithstanding. I hope it's as good as the scan looks! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And how much Restored 4.5/5.0s have been getting ? confused.gif

I'm eager to see this one slabbed... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893frustrated.gif Bad Karma dude... frown.gif

No slabbing, it is a nice reading copy.

I think I'm good enough to pick up any (A) even if it is slight.

I doubt a midgrade $50-$100 book would have any slight (P).

It would cost more than the book's value wouldn't it?

I think I'm good enough to pick up any (A) even if it is slight.

I doubt a midgrade $50-$100 book would have any slight (P).

It would cost more than the book's value wouldn't it?

Not necessarily; amateur versus professional restoration has more to do with the materials used and the reversibility of the work than the skill with which they're applied. For example, I've color touched a few low-grade books just to practice the art. I really haven't spent more than a few hours performing restoration, and I don't make a living at it, so it's clear that from a skill perspective and a financial perspective that I am currently an "amateur" restorer. However, since I'm using acrylic paint which doesn't bleed through, I'm pretty sure CGC would call my work "professional."

So some types of professional work can be done cheaply and easily by restorers who are technically amateurs.

But my blacklight would pick up (P) color touch right?

I guess the biggest threat is always a married cover. An amateur can do that as well as a professional if they are careful.

But again it's only a VG+ $60 book so I'm not sweating.

I would never buy a raw $600 VG+ FF 2 mind you... gossip.gif

But my blacklight would pick up (P) color touch right?

Blacklight should pick up both (A) and (P) color touch, although I continue to wonder whether there are materials you can use which won't show a color difference under ultraviolet light.

I guess the biggest threat is always a married cover. An amateur can do that as well as a professional if they are careful.

The biggest threats are color touch and trimming. They don't take much effort, which is why those are the techniques myself and dozens of other amateur restorers have already tried. Piece replacement seems like the hardest technique to me; I haven't bought any japan paper or paste to try it yet.