• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High is BUYING!

123 posts in this topic

It's just....sometimes, the ballstothewall arrogance just...it just gets to you sometimes, dunnit?

"Blah blah blah, he can charge whatever he wants, blah blah blah, he can buy for whatever someone's willing to sell, etc etc etc"

But doesn't the UN-MITIGATED GALL, the chutzpah and just sheer arrogance of the guy ever bother anyone else....?

"Our grading is very strict."

No. No, it's not. It's not at all. It's some of THE WORST grading in the industry.

Un-freakin-believable.

Just makes you sad for the future of humanity, no?

Oh, I cannot stomach Mile High...complete shysters...but it takes two to tango and so long as people keep sending them money, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

After all, the 'business model' must be working, no?

It's just....sometimes, the ballstothewall arrogance just...it just gets to you sometimes, dunnit?

"Blah blah blah, he can charge whatever he wants, blah blah blah, he can buy for whatever someone's willing to sell, etc etc etc"

But doesn't the UN-MITIGATED GALL, the chutzpah and just sheer arrogance of the guy ever bother anyone else....?

No. No, it's not. It's not at all. It's some of THE WORST grading in the industry.

Un-freakin-believable.

Oh, I cannot stomach Mile High...complete shysters...but it takes two to tango and so long as people who don't know what they're doing keep sending them money, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

Fixed that for ya (thumbs u

I looked at the list and frankly, I've got a few long boxes of NM moderns I wouldn't mind unloading at his prices ($.50-$1 per). Ditto Astonishing X-Men # 2 at $5. Think I have 5-6 of those lying around.

Reminds me of back when he was offering something like $45 for Origin # 1 for a year or two after the market for that book tanked.

Still the caveat of "reserve the right to adjust prices at any time" makes me not even want to go through the trouble of sorting my books.

It's like the TV ads re. "cash for gold."

I know that the only LCS in Denver that I have found that is worth a chit will only give 30% of book value.

-----------------------------------------

Depending on the book, 30% of book value is not unreasonable. Seriously, plenty of people here sell decent material for 30% of guide for whatever reason: quick cash, already have 5 copies, whatever.

Unless you mean "fair market value", which increasingly has little to do with what that annual book says.

Right again.

Lessee....

If something consistently sells for 20-50% of "the Guide", except for very high grade, no matter how the guide changes, year in and year out....

....who's really incorrect? The market? Or "the Guide"...?

God, I want to liquidate everything and get the hell out while I still can.

When are we, the buyers, going to stop supporting this madhouse of greed and corruption? When are we going to stop buying at local comic shops who have (usually overgraded) Fine copies of Daredevil #20 for $21 on the wall "because the Guide says so", even if it means we have to shop elsewhere for our new comics, assuming we still buy them? When are we going to stand up to the ripoff artists who "supply" us with comic books and tell them "hey...if you BOUGHT this stuff at 15% of "Guide", like it's WORTH wholesale, instead of paying ridiculous prices & then complaining that you can't make any money otherwise, I wouldn't have any problem buying from you at 30% of Guide, and YOU GET TO STAY IN BUSINESS!"

I wish I'd been able to take part in this hobby when everybody didn't think "comics are worth $$$$$$"...sadly, that was before I was born.

Un-freakin-believable.

Oh, I cannot stomach Mile High...complete shysters...but it takes two to tango and so long as people who don't know what they're doing keep sending them money, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

Not quite true.

Ask around the boards and you'll find a lot of folk who are prepared to do business with Chuckles...and do. They know what they're doing, and admittedly they pick out the bargains and the low-risk stuff, but the effect remains the same.

The cash registers keep ringing, Mile High keep making a profit, and nothing forces them to change. (thumbs u

Any potential good deal on the part of the seller selling to Mile High is entirely and thoroughly mitigated into oblivion by the caveats Chuckles has in place.

So not worth the risk.

Don't worry, if he was the last dealer on the planet, Chuckles wouldn't be getting the steam off my piss. (thumbs u

Un-freakin-believable.

Not quite true.

Ask around the boards and you'll find a lot of folk who are prepared to do business with Chuckles...and do. They know what they're doing, and admittedly they pick out the bargains and the low-risk stuff, but the effect remains the same.

The cash registers keep ringing, Mile High keep making a profit, and nothing forces them to change. (thumbs u

True enough. I should think my posts through more carefully!

Any potential good deal on the part of the seller selling to Mile High is entirely and thoroughly mitigated into oblivion by the caveats Chuckles has in place.

So not worth the risk.

Don't worry, if he was the last dealer on the planet, Chuckles wouldn't be getting the steam off my piss. (thumbs u

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I think it's interesting to see the want list of MH, and other stores like mycomicshop. It's usually a good indicator of what comics they view as being easy to sell, or possibly where some appreciation can happen. For most of that list though, mycomicshop seems to offer better prices.

Can someone tell me why Chuck is paying up to $15 for copies of ALF #48 :o

Last issues can be a bitch to find...

-slym

OK, but he is still only paying $3 for issue #50

50 $0.10 $0.25 $0.50 $0.90 $1.50 $3.00

Why the huge price on #48? Very limited distribution?

It's all about the cover. It's the only Alf book I know of that anyone even looks out for.

I have one, purely due to it's legendary board status :grin:

Same here...

hm Makes me kinda want a copy now

I checked the census and no copy of ALF #48 has ever been slabbed. In fact, only the first issue is on the census. Try putting together a 9.8 complete run of this title. It would probably be hard to do.

i don't understand what you're hopping up and down about, there are a zillion places to buy old comics other than shops (here, ebay and shows to name a few), nobody is forcing you to overpay....if a comic at the shop is overpriced it will sit on the wall or the box, fade, get damaged, gather dust, etc. eventually, MAYBE, the shop owner will say to some customer...hey buddy...spend $100 and anything in that box is half off or 75% off and maybe someone goes for that. who knows. nobody has a gun to your head.

heck, i'd venture to guess that there are triple digit members on this board who have a better back issue selection than 90-98% of the comic shops outs there. as someone noted, the collectors really do have control. heck, many of us are capable of being jr. dealers at any time. i know i have a better inventory of vintage (pre-1980 let's say) material than my old LCS and he actually did a pretty big back issue business back in the 90s. ebay KILLED him and he actually priced below guide, gave out hefty discounts to good customers, etc., but people were caught up in the novelty of ebay.

I know that the only LCS in Denver that I have found that is worth a chit will only give 30% of book value.

Depending on the book, 30% of book value is not unreasonable.

Unless you mean "fair market value", which increasingly has little to do with what that annual book says.

Ha...f'ing joke is what being offered 30% is on VF+ SA and BA books!

Just my opinion I guess.

30% is decent if selling raw to the retail trade. Not brilliant, but decent.

If all of the books are at least VF+, and all of the books are SA and early BA, and all of the books are 1st or 2nd tier titles...then you should expect more.

But on your average SA/BA box of goodies for sale? Take the 30%. (thumbs u

Sure - it's decent.

If the person you're selling these books to don't turn around and mark them up to 3-400% of guide, that is.

That's the main issue I have with Chuck - I don't really care about what percentage he offers when he's buying the books, it's the fact that when he then prices these books, he basically throws the price guide out the window & makes up his own prices (and has the audacity to claim he's constantly losing money because of these low, low prices), well, that friggin' pisses me off.

And this is also the reason why I'll never do business with him, and would much prefer to dump my with Lone Star.

Amongst the last box I unloaded with them was a NM- copy of ASM #200. Lone Star gave me $25 cash for it, and is now selling it for $42 on their site. That to me is the way to run your business.

Depending on the book, 30% of book value is not unreasonable.

Ha...f'ing joke is what being offered 30% is on VF+ SA and BA books!

Just my opinion I guess.

30% is decent if selling raw to the retail trade. Not brilliant, but decent.

If all of the books are at least VF+, and all of the books are SA and early BA, and all of the books are 1st or 2nd tier titles...then you should expect more.

But on your average SA/BA box of goodies for sale? Take the 30%. (thumbs u

Sure - it's decent.

If the person you're selling these books to don't turn around and mark them up to 3-400% of guide, that is.

That's the main issue I have with Chuck - I don't really care about what percentage he offers when he's buying the books, it's the fact that when he then prices these books, he basically throws the price guide out the window & makes up his own prices (and has the audacity to claim he's constantly losing money because of these low, low prices), well, that friggin' pisses me off.

And this is also the reason why I'll never do business with him, and would much prefer to dump my with Lone Star.

Amongst the last box I unloaded with them was a NM- copy of ASM #200. Lone Star gave me $25 cash for it, and is now selling it for $42 on their site. That to me is the way to run your business.

(thumbs u

-----------------------------

that does seem like a lot for a book they will try to sell for $42 and keep on knocking down if it doesn't sell, but i guess they understand how their numbers work re: profitability. just seems that paying well less than half of your sticker price for stuff that won't fly out the door tomorrow seems pretty prudent because you may wind up sitting on a lot of expensive inventory otherwise.

$25 for Conan 275 is not bad...but my guess is that they'll push your NM copy down to VF for the purposes of paying less ($12.50) for it..that doesn't seem bad considering a number of VF or so copies have been selling in the $15-$20 range. sure, they'll charge $150 for it, but whatever.

anyway, this list and lonestars is nice for educational purposes. milehigh's is easier to quickly glance at.

honestly, at the end of the day i don't care what they charge for something, just what they'll pay.

i guess i was lucky getting $175 back for a daredevil #1 that i bought off of here for $175 (considering i took it to someone who is more a sa dealer and he offered $75 in trade, i walked). my lcs is good with the trading in of books but horrible at pricing them (usually 100-150% of OSG).

haven't sold anything else locally in years so i don't know if this is an abhorration.

j

FYI, we have two ways you can see our want list and what we're paying:

Our compact want list, suitable for printing (easy to take with you to shows to buy stuff that you can resell to us at a profit):

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/wantlist

And our full online buying system:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/record

At the link above, you could search for Conan to bring up all Conan titles, or you could search for Conan 275 to go straight to that issue.

Our compact want list, suitable for printing (easy to take with you to shows to buy stuff that you can resell to us at a profit):

At the link above, you could search for Conan to bring up all Conan titles, or you could search for Conan 275 to go straight to that issue.

Nice site (thumbs u

i do admit that your site is really user friendly. and i really haven't had any problems with your site or quality of books.

j

i don't understand what you're hopping up and down about, there are a zillion places to buy old comics other than shops (here, ebay and shows to name a few), nobody is forcing you to overpay....if a comic at the shop is overpriced it will sit on the wall or the box, fade, get damaged, gather dust, etc. eventually, MAYBE, the shop owner will say to some customer...hey buddy...spend $100 and anything in that box is half off or 75% off and maybe someone goes for that. who knows. nobody has a gun to your head.

I never understand comments like this.

At no time did I say anything about not having alternatives, or anybody having a gun to anyone's head, or overpriced books sitting gathering dust, or ANYTHING even remotely like that.

The behavior and attitude of Chuckles is GROSS. It's beyond arrogant and disgusting, and reflects poorly on the entire hobby.

It's utter hypocrisy to go on at length about how "strict" they are when grading the comics THEY want to buy, and how they WILL reprice YOUR books if they feel YOU have overgraded them, and then send out thousands....if not MILLIONS...of comics graded "NM" that wouldn't grade better than 6.0 at CGC.

It's hucksterism at its worst. It is NOT honest and ethical business behavior.

This is behavior better suited for a traveling carnival, not the biggest retailer in the comics business. It's bad enough to price EVERYTHING (overgraded, too) at 2-3-10-20 times MARKET VALUE...but then to turn around and offer pennies for said books, and then have the NERVE to issue stern warnings about YOUR grading?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

What does all that have to do with "well, no one's FORCING you to do business with them"...?