• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody else having More Fun?

31 posts in this topic

I'd love to collect the Spectre issues. But there's two things prohibiting me from doing so. I'm still working on finishing a couple other series, and don't want to get to strung out. And a lot of the Spectre issues are fairly pricey, again don't want to get to strung out. Hopefully down the road some I can start up a More Fun collection as the covers are tremendous IMO.

Brian

I just looked at the going prices on Ebay and the prices have come way down from what I remember. I was looking a year or two ago, and I coudln't find a book under $100 bucks, not that is the norm. Looks like I am going to have to grab me a copy or two. I prefer the Spectre covers so I will still have to shell out some bucks, but maybe I can get one for $500???

893applaud-thumb.gif

That's a tough book in any grade. I haven't priced the #52 due to $$$$$, so I don't know if you got a good deal....what would you grade it and is the cover attached?

It looks like it, but there appears to be quite a bit of wear on the book so I thought I would ask.

I had sent it to CGC right after I bought it and it came back a 1.0 Fair. Mostly due to the detached cover and visibly missing pieces along the edge of the front cover. This will probably open a whole new debate, but that's what led my decision to have the book professionally restored. I figured that I could either have a $2500 Fair example that's literally "rough around the edges" or a nice moderately restored F/VF a few bucks more. Given that there's no way I'd be able to shell out $50,000+ for a high grade unrestored book I figured it was the best decision. I'd be interested to hear everyone else's opinion on the topic.

I would have done the same exact thing. Restoration always matters, but on books like this it is much more acceptable. And I would personally prefer the eye appeal over the blue vs. purple label on this one. To me, More Fun's #52-76 are THE classic, quintessential Golden Age books with Marvel Mystery second. They just don't get much better. I only own one More Fun for now but plan on buying more down the road. They are just so tough to find in high grade and when you do the price is through the roof. Congrats on your book! thumbsup2.gif

I would have done the same exact thing. Restoration always matters, but on books like this it is much more acceptable. And I would personally prefer the eye appeal over the blue vs. purple label on this one. To me, More Fun's #52-76 are THE classic, quintessential Golden Age books with Marvel Mystery second. They just don't get much better. I only own one More Fun for now but plan on buying more down the road. They are just so tough to find in high grade and when you do the price is through the roof. Congrats on your book! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the support! That was basically my reasoning as well. I pretty much had two choices, either take a beat up blue label fair or a high grade purple label book. There's no way I'd ever be able to afford $75,000+ for a blue label VF More Fun #52 so this way I can at least have something close with only about a $3500 total investment.

I see nothing wrong with restoration as long as it's disclosed when selling > "Professional of course",I rather have a book that is solid & nice looking ,than falling apart in my hands . Restoration is bad,when not disclosed. Some books have to be preserved,It's when you have a seller trying to sell unrestored when it is ,makes it BAD, for everyone."THIEFS" It's a shame restoration has gotten such a bad rap! I have books in my own collection restored ,"Golden Age ,mind you," that I couldn't afford otherwise! I dislike restoration in Silver Age though , their still plentiful in varied grades.