• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man gets 7 years for forging check to buy ASM #2

74 posts in this topic

7 years for a forged check doesn't add up.

:gossip: It does if you are a career criminal doing this in several states over several years.

EDIT: Never mind, I skimmed through it and missed the part mentioning his priors.

I'm not saying it's just or unjust...what comes to MY mind is how people get off or do LESS time for MURDER!

--------------------------------

This guy has had multiple convictions for this stuff in the past. this time they threw the book at him. (no pun intended). i'd venture to get the past penalties were minimal and they decided he had not learned his lesson.

he'll also probably be at a minimum security prison. those are cheaper than the $30K a year. he'll probably soon be spending his days doing work release.

it's probably a 2 - 7 year sentence or something and he'll be out in 18 months with good behavior and have to report to a parole officer. if it's a straight up 7 year sentence, most states let you get out after only doing 1/2 - 2/3 of the time if you're reasonably well behaved.

i've never heard of a 7 year sentence for murder. manslaughter yes, and some cases that should be murder are sometimes pled out to manslaughter, i admit.

i believe in NY murder gets you a 20-25 year minimum, with a life maximimum, no possibility of parole before serving the 20 years, parole isn't automatic after 20 years either with the life maximum always attached to murder.

i think for juveniles sometimes it's 15 to life.

7 years for a forged check doesn't add up.

:gossip: It does if you are a career criminal doing this in several states over several years.

Yep, but the way the story was written implies that he was given 7 years because of that one $980 check, as it makes no mention of multiple charges.

This is what was left out of the first post:

Meherg was arrested last fall on a different deceptive-practices charge.

During his appearance in DuPage County court Thursday, prosecutors told Judge Peter Dockery that Meherg has had three previous convictions on deceptive practices and forgery charges.

Career criminal = sentence to match.

Just like DUI charges. First time slap on the wrist, second time suspended license, third time revoked license and possible jail time.

The more you prove that this wasn't a one time infraction the harder the hammer falls.

The guy is a career con artist...certainly not someone who just made a mistake.

C

roy, did the bogus check every come back to haunt you?

Nope.

I think about 15 years ago, at a point in my life when I tried to "make the rough ways straight, bring the mountains low and fill my valleys" I tried to make it right but so much time had passed and it was so difficult to figure out how to do it that it really was a pointless endeavor.

You have top remember in 1977 there were no computers, no internet, everything was rolodex and snail mail.

It was probably near impossible with the state of the flow of information at the time to do anything constructive and especially not for a few hundred bucks.

I feel bad about it to this day but I like to think I've paid for it many times over in other ways.

R.

Stan will be at your house to collect tonight plus interest...

even if he has to give a little wall to wall counseling!

Now THAT would be funny!

lol

Scott Meherg, 28, pleaded guilty to theft Thursday in DuPage County court. Records show Meherg used a $980.99 forged bank check to obtain Spider-Man #2, the second book in the original series, from Graham Crackers Comics in Naperville in 2007.

doh!

If you are going to commit crimes to get comic books, at least make sure you are getting Batman comics

doh!

Modern Batman comics are a crime

OK, here goes...this is quoted from Tupenny's selling thread a few months ago. Now you will all know why I love Marvel fireside books so much.... True story:

OK Gang, here goes.

Sit back and enjoy the read.

:popcorn:

When I was 7 or 8 years old (grade 2 I remember specifically which would have been 1977 or 1978) I decided I wanted to order a bunch of Marvel Fireside books.

Problem was I didn't have any money.

No problem. I just clipped a coupon from a Marvel Comic, checked off EVERY BOX on the coupon and mailed it in with one of my parent's checks.

Once a criminal , always a criminal.

:baiting:

If you can remember that far back you'll remember that checks in those days did not have their account numbers printed out on them...you had to fill them in yourself. So I proceeded to fill in some bogus account number (in Canadian funds mind you), total up the books I ordered, add the shipping charge and write in the $$ amount.

I dropped the envelope containing the bum check and the coupon in the mail and completely forgot about it as 7 year old boys are wont to do.

Well several weeks go by and we are coming back from a vacation and I am none the wiser when my parents realize that there is a large, heavy box in the front porch.

We're all wondering what is inside. I'm as clueless as greggy in a Marvel long box.

doh!

We pull the box inside and I remember vividly opening the box and to my amazement being confronted with multiple copies of every Fireside book imaginable. Hard covers, soft covers...The Mighty Marvel Cookbook, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Bring On The Bad Guys....you name it...almost everything in duplicate...I even had the Calender from what I believe was 1978!

Can you imagine what went through my mind as I poured over cover after glossy cover of each of these books? I barely slept that night!

:cloud9:

What was even funnier was that the publisher had written me a check back because I had overpaid.

:roflmao:

So at the age of 7 I spent (from what I remember) about $400, paid for it with a bum check, got a refund and then proceeded to take the books to school for show and tell and give many of the away.

:screwy:

I still have the refund check as a reality check to remind me that I was not dreaming.

lol

I'll post it up here some day.

How's that for a cool story?

Nope.

I think about 15 years ago, at a point in my life when I tried to "make the rough ways straight, bring the mountains low and fill my valleys" I tried to make it right but so much time had passed and it was so difficult to figure out how to do it that it really was a pointless endeavor.

You have top remember in 1977 there were no computers, no internet, everything was rolodex and snail mail.

It was probably near impossible with the state of the flow of information at the time to do anything constructive and especially not for a few hundred bucks.

I feel bad about it to this day but I like to think I've paid for it many times over in other ways.

R.

If you bought any Marvel drek in the 90s, you more than made up for it!

OK, here goes...this is quoted from Tupenny's selling thread a few months ago. Now you will all know why I love Marvel fireside books so much.... True story:

OK Gang, here goes.

When I was 7 or 8 years old (grade 2 I remember specifically which would have been 1977 or 1978) I decided I wanted to order a bunch of Marvel Fireside books.

No problem. I just clipped a coupon from a Marvel Comic, checked off EVERY BOX on the coupon and mailed it in with one of my parent's checks.

If you can remember that far back you'll remember that checks in those days did not have their account numbers printed out on them...you had to fill them in yourself. So I proceeded to fill in some bogus account number (in Canadian funds mind you), total up the books I ordered, add the shipping charge and write in the $$ amount.

I dropped the envelope containing the bum check and the coupon in the mail and completely forgot about it as 7 year old boys are wont to do.

Well several weeks go by and we are coming back from a vacation and I am none the wiser when my parents realize that there is a large, heavy box in the front porch.

We're all wondering what is inside. I'm as clueless as greggy in a Marvel long box.

doh!

We pull the box inside and I remember vividly opening the box and to my amazement being confronted with multiple copies of every Fireside book imaginable. Hard covers, soft covers...The Mighty Marvel Cookbook, How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Bring On The Bad Guys....you name it...almost everything in duplicate...I even had the Calender from what I believe was 1978!

Can you imagine what went through my mind as I poured over cover after glossy cover of each of these books? I barely slept that night!

What was even funnier was that the publisher had written me a check back because I had overpaid.

So at the age of 7 I spent (from what I remember) about $400, paid for it with a bum check, got a refund and then proceeded to take the books to school for show and tell and give many of the away.

I still have the refund check as a reality check to remind me that I was not dreaming.

lol

Great story. It's no surprise that the NYC authorities recently arrested you for this crime when you stepped onto US soil . :devil:

Nope.

R.

If you bought any Marvel drek in the 90s, you more than made up for it!

What are you talking about???

Those gatefold embossed foil holographic glow in the dark covers

are going to be worth billions, I tell ya!

:kidaround:

OK Gang, here goes.

Once a criminal , always a criminal.

:baiting:

doh!

lol

So you're the reason Marvel raised their prices in the late 70's

Where's this cheque? :sumo:

I'm slowly getting shitfaced over here and I'll have forgotten about it tomorrow morning. :insane:

I'm slowly getting shitfaced over here and I'll have forgotten about it tomorrow morning. :insane:

It's only 4 pm over here. I should drive home before I get shizefaced and I'll post it tonite.

:P

It's only 4 pm over here. I should drive home before I get shizefaced and I'll post it tonite.

:P

Different time zones suck a big one meh

I'm about 1/2 way there now, so I'll just about remember this :banana:

Well, here it is in all it's glory. My refund check dated from 1977 from Simon and Schuster.

SimonandSchusterrefund1977.jpg