• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acceptable NM back cover?

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've always wondered to what extent one should accept somewhat "dirty" back covers in otherwise HG books, and this is a fine example of my troubles.

IMHO the book is otherwise a NM one ... do you think its back cover is acceptable for the grade?

NM_back_cover.jpg

porcupine48,

thank you for the reply and info ... don't know how much I should downgrade the book though, which brings forward the following question ...

When grading a book, are there any generally accepted guidelines re: back-cover cleanliness (or dirtiness)?

Dirtiness will affect the grade of the book, the more sever the soiling the harder the grade is hit I as far as I'm aware.

Can you post a scan of the front cover of the book? It doen't look like a 9.4 from the back cover.

FC BRC look's to be a bit soft. But it is a very nice book overall. I'd go 9.2 based on the FC scan only. IMHO

agreed 9.2 would be a safe call,the soiling on the back cover does lower the grade considerably IMHO 8.0 (shrug)

Try using white bread to clean the back cover,maybe removing some of the soiling 2c

Have you tried using white bread to clean it up?

I am curious, has ANYONE ever tried white bread to remove soiling similar to what's shown here? I am not brave enough to try it on any of my comics. If I had a "cheapie" it would be different, but...

:blush:

-slym

Have you tried using white bread to clean it up?

I am not brave enough to try it on any of my comics.

:blush:

-slym

Same thing here, I'm afraid :eek:. I believe I'm too inexperienced to try that, moreover wouldn't the rubbing peel away the remaining gloss? hm

Next time I'm near an LCS that has back issues (which is getting to be a rarity around here) I will pick up some cheap, older book that's dirty and do experiments. I will try to look for as glossy a cover as I can.

When that will be... (shrug)

-slym