• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT: Just read USM #8

34 posts in this topic

Ok, thanks to Lighthouse's super-blowout on trade paperbacks...

I now have Ultimate Spider-man #1 to # 32 in graphic novel form.

So I should give them a read and see what all the fuss is about, right?

Well, the first volume (issues #1 to #7) don't blow me away enough

to see the logic in paying $100 each for the comics themselves, even in CGC 9.8...

but I'm happy to own the graphic novel for the $6 that I paid.

Then I open volume two... which starts at issue #8.

Around page 6, Ultimate Spidey's talking about "bling bling"

and "gettin' a little bank" for himself.

If the point of Ultimate Spider-man is to bring Spider-man into "modern times"

because the original from the 1960s is just "too cheesy"...

then why will we all be laughing at "bling bling" by then end of 2004,

much less laughing uncontrollably in 2040.

Ok, fine... so I read on...

Let me get this straight... EACH BOOK has

A Writer

An Assistant Editor

An Editor

and an Editor In Chief

... but somehow Parker can hand the phone to Jameson and say...

"My aunt want's to talk to you."

"want's"? What the hell is "want's"?

As in "want is", "want has", or the possessive "want" owns something?

What's even worse is that this same issue shows the other school kids

MAKING FUN of the fat kid's English skills.

Ok... that's strike two... "bling bling" was strike 1,

"want's to talk" is strike 2.

How long until strike three? You find the answer on Page 20.

After Peter has used a search engine on the Daily Bugle computer...

The result is "TWO ITEM'S FOUND".

Is that "item's" as in "item is" or "item has" or... Oh, forget it. 893frustrated.gif

A Writer

An Assistant Editor

An Editor

and an Editor In Chief

I guess Shooter and pals did a bang up job grammatically on each and every Valiant (and no, I will not sully my fingers paging thru them to check...)

If all you can do is pick on use of daily speak and misuse of apostrophes, than spare us the diatribe on Ultimate Spider-Man. I was just reading Hero for Hire 1-4 (70's series) and found quite a few non PC references and jargon that would date the talk - but you don't see me posting a rant about something as inane as that? confused.gif

A Writer

An Assistant Editor

An Editor

and an Editor In Chief

I guess Shooter and pals did a bang up job grammatically on each and every Valiant (and no, I will not sully my fingers paging thru them to check...)

If all you can do is pick on use of daily speak and misuse of apostrophes, than spare us the diatribe on Ultimate Spider-Man. I was just reading Hero for Hire 1-4 (70's series) and found quite a few non PC references and jargon that would date the talk - but you don't see me posting a rant about something as inane as that? confused.gif

What is needed for a comic book?

1) Art

2) Writing

That's it.

The guys can't even write in proper English... or at least won't even edit it.

1 out of 2 is 50%... and half-ed work doesn't get my money.

Please keep us informed on all typos you find in weekly comics and how many titles you've dropped in a month... thumbsup2.gif

I can update you right now...

Number of titles I'm currently reading: ZERO

My reason for reading USM? Rave reviews from people who should know better.

dude you need to lay off the valiant comics..

hey are affecting your mind

Intelligent words from a guy with a pro-wrestler for an avatar,

and the made-up word "dammnit" in his signature.

Thanks... or should I say, "Thankxsz!"

And the title will still continue to get my endorsement...despite the 2 typo's and the use of current jargon (which is not the basis of my recommendation)... I give the title kudos for its storyline. Im rather excited by the introduction of Ultimate Elektra into the USM title. Last we saw her was a sort of origin set up in her own mini 4 issue mini arc shared with DD which came out around the movie's release. See how she comes into play (I'm assuming) as the Kingpin's new top hired hand (now that Electro is locked up and the Enforcers were somewhat ineffective) and comparing that to how she was worked in by Miller during his famed 80's run gives me something to look forward to.

Also seeing how Spider-man handles the Black Cat attraction is keeping me on the edge of my seat smile.gif

Keep reading your typo free Valiants; I'm sure the stories and art are more to your liking. All opinions are welcome here; I'm just surprised a well thought out rant by you was based on 2 typos and "bling bling" smirk.gif

Keep reading your typo free Valiants; I'm sure the stories and art are more to your liking. All opinions are welcome here; I'm just surprised a well thought out rant by you was based on 2 typos and "bling bling" smirk.gif

Really, I just wanted to see if anyone else cares about WRITING anymore.

Sounds like it's not that important to you.

And since Ultimate Spider-man has the proportions of a

4foot 2inch Romanian gymnast... looks like art isn't important either.

Let's see... a comic book without good writing or art... that would be... just paper.

Actually I do; just not to the certain degree as more nitpicky types I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

You want bad art - check out David Mack's work on the current Daredevil title for the past 3 or 4 issues; some think it's even worse than Maleev; others find Maleev and Mack's work to be "the bomb" (oops, use of current jargon... tongue.gif )

Some think Hitch's work on the Ultimates was too dark and gritty while some thought it brought realism to the storyline. different strokes for different folks. Most folks who complain about Bagley's art, which has been consistent from the start, throughout all issues so far, have seen his prior 90's work on the later issues of ASM when he was "developing" his style. Maybe you are just comparing his work to some other artist's standard of work. People have said that Bagley was doing a poor job of aping Ditko, while I view the resemblence as passing coincidence.

Actually I do; just not to the certain degree as more nitpicky types I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

In all truthfulness, my mom was an English teacher and she had me grading

essays by the time I was 8. So, I guess it's in my blood.

Little typos shouldn't be a big deal to us, the readers...

but how can you "make a living" as a writer without knowing how to write?

How can you "make a living" as an artist without knowing how to draw?

And, for us, why do we pay money for the products from these people?

(Maybe that's why comics haven't returned from the slump...

You don't get what you pay for... so people just aren't paying!)

And the title will still continue to get my endorsement...despite the 2 typo's and the use of current jargon (which is not the basis of my recommendation)... I give the title kudos for its storyline. Im rather excited by the introduction of Ultimate Elektra into the USM title. Last we saw her was a sort of origin set up in her own mini 4 issue mini arc shared with DD which came out around the movie's release. See how she comes into play (I'm assuming) as the Kingpin's new top hired hand (now that Electro is locked up and the Enforcers were somewhat ineffective) and comparing that to how she was worked in by Miller during his famed 80's run gives me something to look forward to.

Also seeing how Spider-man handles the Black Cat attraction is keeping me on the edge of my seat smile.gif

"...despite the 2 typo's..."

Well, VM, now you know why Darth is so staunch a defender of this drivel. thumbsup2.gif

And it IS drivel. Complete garbage. Most (all?) comics are. They're the lowest form of literature... well, second only perhaps to the "high art novel"... but that's another matter entirely, no?

USM really is a flagrant offender though. Most of Bendis' work is a grammatical train wreck. Hell, even his TPBs have many, many, many egregious errors. I'm of the opinion that comics are purely nostalgia-driven. I mean, we all know that absolutely NOTHING of consequence is EVER going to happen to these characters, right? So why do we care? Why do we keep reading and buying and reading? It's almost a reflex for me on Wednesdays, I'm ashamed to say. Maybe other people just can't recognize bad/hack writing? Maybe they're incredibly dim and they're fascinated by flashing lights and those rotating hot dogs at Quik Trip? Who knows?

My point is, if you're on this message board and you ACTUALLY read the books, you're probably more than a little retarded and you're definitely a little crazy, though maybe not in a bad way.