• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Block illiterate eBayer "dharry358" - eBay needs to go out of business

396 posts in this topic

The point about "gaining and losing" is not as clear cut as it should be. With fees at 10-20%, the cost of doing business is significant. The eBay practice of using the final selling price to compute fee percentages (and leaving out the shipping/handling costs) is incentive to try to move as much cost of doing business as possbile to the handling chanrge to reduce fees.

No reputable seller should be trying to make money on the shipping and handling...period...

Sellers know the fees involved with eBay before listing. If they're not willing to abide with those without shifting costs to the buyer through inflated shipping and handling fees then they shouldn't be using the venue...

Jim

The point about "gaining and losing" is not as clear cut as it should be. With fees at 10-20%, the cost of doing business is significant. The eBay practice of using the final selling price to compute fee percentages (and leaving out the shipping/handling costs) is incentive to try to move as much cost of doing business as possbile to the handling chanrge to reduce fees.

No reputable seller should be trying to make money on the shipping and handling...period...

Sellers know the fees involved with eBay before listing. If they're not willing to abide with those without shifting costs to the buyer through inflated shipping and handling fees then they shouldn't be using the venue...

Jim

Agreed.

Charge exact shipping :sumo:

Refund the difference if you've overcharged, bend over and take it if you've undercharged and learn from it.

WHen I sell toys and lots on ebay, I always put in in my auction that I charge exact shipping, and any money paid over actual shipping will be refunded via paypal.

I have done this 20 or so times... Charging 15$ shipping, and it turns out to be 8 or 9$, then I give them 6 back..

It works great and that way I never get burned when I go to the post office...

Some of the shipping I win - some I lose. I paid $225 for this ASM 100 CGC 9.0 off these boards and my expected Insurance cost was $3.70. Signature confirmation is an additional $1.80 even with the Paypal discount. But I do not need to keep justifying my Selling methods, especially when no one asks about my BUYING methods.

This Thread is NOT supposed to be some tutorial for me to give people Free shipping. That ain't gonna happen, ego or not.

Yes my ship costs are stated up front - the buyers can do what I have been doing for the past 10 years - pay the shipping or don't buy the item. No one seems to ask me about this part, why I pay high shipping for my CGC items.

I have paid $25.00 for ONE CGC comic. I have paid $60.00 for a TOS 83 from Portugal. So what? I don't whine like biatches over a few bucks. I practice what I preach - that is the price of doing business. If it is a comic I want, I pay the price and am glad to get it.

You do NOT have to bid my items if you don't like my ship costs. This is a no-brainer to me.

Gotta get some rest. Blast away.

I'll check in now and then.

CAL :whatev:

Cal,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I know this thread wasn't directed at your practices as a seller, but you know as well as I do that when you come on here and give details about an ebay transaction that goes down, both the seller's account as well as the buyer's account will be scrutinized. I think that plenty of people want to buy from you...members on this board included. It's why you've been able to stay on ebay for so long. I just think that board members expect a better class of comic book seller than the casual ebayer. That said, many board members expect to pay exact cost on shipping among other things, so as long as your shipping costs aren't itemized (broken down by cost to ship, delivery confirmation, sig confirmation, insurance, etc.) when they are higher than the norm, they will come under attack. I would think that putting a breakdown of your shipping costs in your auction would go a long way, and as others have said, no seller should be making money on shipping costs (if done properly, they don't have to lose, either). I hope you find this paragraph constructive and not derogatory.

The number of auctions I run and the anticipated final sales prices makes it impossible to have an exact ship charge - the way i currently operate is close as it can get

Back on topic, I think it's unfair to call anyone who didn't automatically block the buyer a "Cal Hater" who took the buyer's side. Some people just like to be 100% objective when viewing a dispute such as this.

Incorrect Sir. I never asked anyone to automatically take my side. The "Cal Hater" is from the unsolicited commentary that should be obvious.

Personally, I tend to follow the experiences of board members on ebay. I haven't blocked the buyer, but I will be aware of him moving forward. Here's the constructive part: if someone doesn't automatically take your side, don't play the victim. Instead, provide the facts such as issue, value, dates, and even message excerpts from ebay. This would rally more people to your side and call more attention to your auctions, which is a good thing, right. Again, I hope you find this constructive as it's definitely not intended to be derogatory.

-Adam

Hello again CGCers

The emails flood my inbox and I have anywhere between 100 - 300 unread EVERY DAY the last day of the auctions until the 2nd day the auctions end. Some are pure nonsense, like the " do you combine shipping", " do you have X-Men xyz", " where did you get that Captain Marvel 9.8?", 'you listed the Silver Surfer 17 CGC 7.5 twice"( but they were TWO different copies and this is why I ALWAYS include the CGC Serial Number because I have multiple Issues of the same ones, like I had 12 ASM 62 Medusa cover and I won't mention how many IMSM 6.0 - 8.5's I keep selling).

The Silver Surfer question was a legitimate question. And it was #16, not #17. You listed the same book twice. The first auction had a picture but the serial number WAS NOT listed in the text.

first auction

The second auction which ended the next day had the same book pictured with the serial number listed in the text.

second auction

How will 2 different buyers be receiving the same book?

There WERE two different books - both already paid for and shipped.

Now which one did I really list twice by accident? No one has caught this

CAL giving the sharper student of the bunch a real assignment

Hello again CGCers

The emails flood my inbox and I have anywhere between 100 - 300 unread EVERY DAY the last day of the auctions until the 2nd day the auctions end. Some are pure nonsense, like the " do you combine shipping", " do you have X-Men xyz", " where did you get that Captain Marvel 9.8?", 'you listed the Silver Surfer 17 CGC 7.5 twice"( but they were TWO different copies and this is why I ALWAYS include the CGC Serial Number because I have multiple Issues of the same ones, like I had 12 ASM 62 Medusa cover and I won't mention how many IMSM 6.0 - 8.5's I keep selling).

The Silver Surfer question was a legitimate question. And it was #16, not #17. You listed the same book twice. The first auction had a picture but the serial number WAS NOT listed in the text.

first auction

The second auction which ended the next day had the same book pictured with the serial number listed in the text.

second auction

Serial # 7177192069

When you click the Vendio pic link for each auction it goes to the same picture of the above mentioned slab. :makepoint:

LEBOWSKI, who realizes that being sharper than Cal doesn't take much

Some of the shipping I win - some I lose. I paid $225 for this ASM 100 CGC 9.0 off these boards and my expected Insurance cost was $3.70. Signature confirmation is an additional $1.80 even with the Paypal discount. But I do not need to keep justifying my Selling methods, especially when no one asks about my BUYING methods.

This Thread is NOT supposed to be some tutorial for me to give people Free shipping. That ain't gonna happen, ego or not.

Making statements like this makes you come off as no better than the eBay sellers you like to slam. You've sold on eBay a long time and the fact you're saying you win on some shipping says everything anyone needs to know about how you operate.

I am not operating illegally, and deeply resent your "spin" on this. The costs are stated up front, and I don't see the buyers refunding me a few bucks when I lose on some of the auctions. This Thread is not supposed to be about CAL's shipping costs, but if it has been hijacked into that, so be it: you guys don't have to buy my stuff. Move on.

I'd expect the statement from a newbie seller, not one who claims they are attempting to be the best eBay seller out there.

I NEVER made such claim. You are putting words in my mouth. That Thread linked above was just a friendly inquiry to ask felow CGCers how I might be a better seller and all I got was a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement and Jim you really don't help. You never have and you have NO CLUE what it is I have or do.

If you can't figure out shipping where no one gains or loses at this point, and you've been selling on the site for years, then maybe you should back away from selling online altogether and reflect on why you seem to always have these issues...

I do the best I can period. no one here talks about the 6 or 7 years I used to charge $5.00 flat shipping no matter what AND WHERE!!! The reality is that I need to treat calamerica-collectibles as a business, I have REAL EMPLOYEES that I pay taxes on, and I WILL CONTINUE to charge as close to exact shipping as possible.

Just because I can't be exact on 60 plus CGC auctions, not knowing the multiple winners ahead of time, is no reason to "back away" from being a Seller - this is another of your ridiculous statements that not only do not solve anything and just add to the flames, it reminds me of the religious fanatics that congregate on some mountain somewhere because we are all gonna die and get it over with to meet "whomever" you believe in. Why continue?

Jim

Hello again CGCers

first auction

second auction

Serial # 7177192069

When you click the Vendio pic link for each auction it goes to the same picture of the above mentioned slab. :makepoint:

:popcorn:

Hello again CGCers

first auction

second auction

Serial # 7177192069

I'll take my station in this life over yours anyday of the year and millenium.

I did real well considering the amount of auctions I needed to crank out in ONE DAY. I made few mistakes, and for you the Genius to keep focusing on the unimportant is a truer, more accurate measure of how really smart you are. Georgia? Close to where they filmed Deliverance???

CAL who really is not as dumb as you want to believe...

Hello again CGCers

first auction

second auction

1. first, admit the original question was not nonsense as you claimed

2. since it is obvious that one of the buyers will not be receiving the book, answer the follow up question

Hello again CGCers

first auction

second auction

Serial # 7177192069

I did real well considering the amount of auctions I needed to crank out in ONE DAY. I made few mistakes, and for you the Genius to keep focusing on the unimportant is a truer, more accurate measure of how really smart you are. Georgia? Close to where they filmed Deliverance???

People starting to get to you, Cal? I see you've started throwing out childish taunts... hm

Can your dad beat up my dad?

1. first, admit the original question was not nonsense as you claimed

2. since it is obvious that one of the buyers will not be receiving the book, answer the follow up question

I don't have to admit nothin'. The point I was making to begin with has nothing to do with any of this

They did NOT receive the same book - I was able to send the one with the serial number to peoper owner - this slipped past be in error and I have multiples of the same Issues - like my IMSM CGC VF+ 8.5 I use the same pics.

This Thread was to alert everyone about a bad buyer, hoping to prevent damage to you feloow cgcers out there. The responses and attitude I received from my troubles now wants me to have all you individual_without_enough_empathys to kiss my backside and forget about me. Go reproduce yourselves.

CAL giving it back as he has received

Plus, you're the one who handed out the "real assignment," as you put it. I was just turning my assignment in early. lol

Trust me you could never be a student of mine, nor work for me. Not in this lifetime.

CAL who only likes one class of people

This Thread was to alert everyone about a bad buyer, hoping to prevent damage to you feloow cgcers out there. The responses and attitude I received from my troubles now wants me to have all you individual_without_enough_empathys to kiss my backside and forget about me. Go reproduce yourselves.

CAL giving it back not nearly as eloquently as he has received

Fixed. lol

Hello again CGCers

first auction

second auction

Serial # 7177192069

People starting to get to you, Cal? I see you've started throwing out childish taunts... hm

No you also cannot read in sequence

YOU started the childish taunt with "LEBOWSKI, who realizes that being sharper than Cal doesn't take much" above.

So I am firing back. I can do this and I will.

Don't like it? Take a hike. Turn off your computer. Take more drastic actions, and if you want to do that I will accomodate you as much as I can.

CAL who is really getting cranky

Can your dad beat up my dad?