• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one that remembers this old cable network program?

9 posts in this topic

Anyone out there that remembers this...

It was on sometime in the early 80's I think around "80. Maybe '81. Maybe a little later. It was a show that was very much like the MARVEL SUPERHEROES cartoons. Were they used actual panels from comics. But these were stories from DC comics. I can remember watching some Flash stories, Green Lantern, Atomic Knight and Space Cabbie stories too. The program would always start off with live action of two kids on bikes, a boy and girl, with background music of Flight of the Valkries. They would stop to were they were heading and get off the bikes and start reading a comic that the boy would take from his back pocket. Then the cartoon would start. I know it was a early cable program. I wish I could remember the name of the show. I can't seem to find anyone else that remembers it.

Most remember shows like "Salute Your Shorts", "You Can't Do That On Television", or "Hey Dude!" But I can't find anyone that remembers the comic book show.

That sounds vaguely familiar - especially the Ride of the Valkries intro music.

I seem to remember it being a segment on a longer children's cartoon/variety show. I'm not certain, but I also think it might have aired on Nickelodeon...

Yep, I remember it! It aired on the then VERY new Nickelodeon network. They called it "Video Comic Book". See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_(TV_channel)

It wasn't really a cartoon, either: it was static comic book panels, narrated with the actual text from the comics.

lol

Beat me to it... At least I remembered the proper network.

Mikey I think your right. After looking at that attached link it brought back some memories of what was on back then. I didn't realize it was a late 70's show. Thats probably correct because I know I first got cable in the late 70's. Around '78 - '79. So that has to be it. Video Comic Book. Big thanks! (thumbs u

Yep, I remember it! It aired on the then VERY new Nickelodeon network. They called it "Video Comic Book". See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_(TV_channel)

It wasn't really a cartoon, either: it was static comic book panels, narrated with the actual text from the comics.

Yep. Mr. Riffhard has called it. And everything I remember seeing was from 50's DC science fiction stories, nothing mainstream. Heh, didn't stop me from watching it most days after work, most of the stories I'd never read.

Back in the early 80's, our Toledo PBS station would film some of the Wrightson Swamp Things comics and narrate them. (ie. it would scan the panels/pages and someone read them). I thought this was pretty cool and coupled with the DC Special Series reprints at the time got me hooked to those books.