• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Qualified Comics

27 posts in this topic

In a lot of cases, you will get a blue label unless you specifically request a green label.

No - it's the other way around. You can specifically request a blue label (and corresponding grade drop), but CGC automatically hands out a qualified label if you don't say anything.

Nope. You can make all the "requests" you want - it's not going to affect the color of the label.

I was recently told by CGC that, "staple issues - cleaned or replaced - ALWAYS get a Green Label - Not Negotiable." I don't believe this reflects any change in policy.

The book in question here has the bottom staple popped. Do you think it will get the green or blue. Its about 9.2 otherwise. I requested green for the higher grade.

In theory, every book is graded unto itself, with subjective variations as to age, stock, PQ, production defects, etc. Rules regarding structural issues tend to be hard and fast.

That said, I think popped staples are automatic green labels (in VF or higher). hm

Just as "detached covers" are automatic 3.0's (or less).

From my ever-fading memory :grin: other examples of automatic Green labels include:

-Unattested signatures on front cover;

-Pieces cut out (incomplete);

-Missing pages (incomplete);

-Married pages (pages taken from other copies of the same issue and "married" into another copy of the same issue);

-Staples replaced;

-Staples cleaned (obvious instances);

Some structural defects that may garner a Green Label in an otherwise HG book (e.g. 2" tear, tiny hole through book) are often allowed in lower grade Blue labels (6.0 or under). I think this is where the confusion in general, arises.

All thoughts and comments welcome. :grin:

Otherwise high grade Blue label comics with one major defect:

008.jpg

010.jpg

Blue label comic with several significant defects and detached cover (higher than 3.0):

009.jpg

Though cleaned staples will always receive a Green label, I have not noticed a significant decrease in sales price at any grade and none at 7.0 or lower.

Strangely enough Green label staple replaced receives a significant hit in very high grade but none in 8.0 or lower.

The only Green label that consistantly receives a large price hit is not page missing, but binder holes. Average sales price of binder holes that do not affect story are: 5.0-9.4 will get the same price as 2.5-4.0 graded Blue labels. Page missing goes all over the chart. There must be a large contingent of marriage counselers for comics out there :eek:

I have read a lot about GLODs, but have failed to see this in the marketplace. Taking the Green label's defect into account, the sales price realized is usually correct. Maybe this is because my focus is exclusively in the Golden Age of comics and therefore all the prices I see are for this segment of the hobby only. How a Green label will affect a Bronze or Modern comic might very well be different.