• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch Cover Collection Goals Thread

271 posts in this topic

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just picky, I guess. If I am paying for a sketch on a blank Shi cover, I don't want a Snoopy unless Snoopy is cross dressing as Shi. If I give somebody a blank Batman & I get it back w/ Ren & Stimpy on it... I can't walk away thinking anybody but me is the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not pointing out what I assumed to be obvious.

I'd rather not take the chance that I am in fact an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I've generally had really good luck with letting artists pick their character. I did get one at C2E2 that is pretty mediocre - and my first Spidey.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just picky, I guess. If I am paying for a sketch on a blank Shi cover, I don't want a Snoopy unless Snoopy is cross dressing as Shi. If I give somebody a blank Batman & I get it back w/ Ren & Stimpy on it... I can't walk away thinking anybody but me is the insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not pointing out what I assumed to be obvious.

I'd rather not take the chance that I am in fact an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

References, references, references.

Your sketch my still turn out to be , but at least it won't on your head. Plus, it's always good to be aware of the artists style BEFORE you go in cold asking for a sketch at a con.

At C2E2, if I liked an artist's work on display, then I would check out their stuff on the Internet back at the hotel room to make sure I wasn't headed for a bait and switch.

sry i know i said it in a basic way

if i have the shi blank i ask for shi

i was more talking about, i liked what i saw at the table and don't care who they do

their have been times where with Rich Henn and chandler gave the artist name and the chacter i wanted

ex Terry Morre, got Katchoo and Franceine done, that waht i asked for, and both of them were not on my random list

don rosa....uncle scrooge, was asked for and not on the list

i use the list for the most part, but do not stick to it if artist x was known or the creator of a chacter

Your sketch my still turn out to be , but at least it won't on your head. Plus, it's always good to be aware of the artists style BEFORE you go in cold asking for a sketch at a con.

At C2E2, if I liked an artist's work on display, then I would check out their stuff on the Internet back at the hotel room to make sure I wasn't headed for a bait and switch.

Are you hammered out of your mind? drunk.gif

Your sketch may still turn out to be , but at least it won't be on your head. Plus, it's always good to be aware of the artists style BEFORE you go in cold asking for a sketch at a con.

Proof reading is your fiend. :baiting:

i was more talking about, i liked what i saw at the table and don't care who they do

their have been times where with Rich Henn and chandler gave the artist name and the chacter i wanted

ex Terry Morre, got Katchoo and Franceine done, that waht i asked for, and both of them were not on my random list

i use the list for the most part, but do not stick to it if artist x was known or the creator of a chacter

Maybe I'm the drunk one...

No more do good sense posts make. yoda.gif

Maybe I'm the drunk one...

No more do good sense posts make. yoda.gif

Ha ha ha

I understood you.

My list is also a base to work off of.

Yeah, there are times, too when I am just "whatever you feel like drawing, dude!" but it's on on the back of stuff like the Canadian Call of Duty, Vampirella or Lady Pendragon sketch cover that has no logo to distinguish who the cover is. Like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/LadyPendragontourback.jpg

Then there are times when I'm a little more discerning but not completely. If a cover has just a company logo, then I request anything produced by that company. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z02Ant1Sketchcover.jpg

Followed by the little more leading http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z39Tidalwave.jpg

After those, there are the ones like Gen13, Youngbloods, Avengers, etc where 1 genre may apply, but w/ multiple characters... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z57YoungbloodSketchcover.jpg

The thing is, I'm a Shi collector 1st, then a sketch cover collector. I have 78 blank white Shi left to work on. After that, I have 350+ other assorted blanks I need sketches on, but I'm lower middle class & can't afford to go full tilt like a lot of our friends here, so if there's a character I want that doesn't have a blank out yet, I've got plenty of others yet still to fill while I'm waiting. ha ha

As far as checking out artists before hand, I can rarely make it to a con, so I generally have to leave that up to my friends' opinions. The Sara Richard was my friend's suggestion, though... although, he knows I won't say no to having a female artist doing Shi. That's an unspoken rule for me. I support female artists.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/zWonderWoman.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/NonSHI07Mickey.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/NonSHI09Trouble.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/zTarantula.jpg

I think Tucci just does it to annoy me. ha ha ha Him & I have talked about it before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/zDawn-Linsner.jpg

Time for a resurrection as the last post in this thread is almost 2 years old.

I used to keep updates of my "Goblin Army" as it grew and grew. For those who don't know, I collect SS sketches of the Green Goblin on Dark Avengers covers and have done it ever since Dave Finch did his first Goblin convention sketch for me at NYCC '09 (about a month after the DA blank was released).

The list of artists was constantly expanding but I had a fixed list of artists that I wanted from the get-go and they have stayed on the list for years. Some were much easier to obtain than others and some would have been downright impossible without the help of friends I've met here on the boards.

Recently, I got news that a blank that I sent away nearly a year ago was coming back to me with a sketch from the final artist on my list: Marc Silvestri. It was Marc's art on X-Men comics that I read as a kid that landed him on the list to begin with. Little did I know that he'd be so tough to track down. It doesn't help that we live on opposite coasts. Anyway, Jesse (Fingerprint_ink) came through for me in a big way. Jesse talked to Marc over the course of several appearances before finally getting the sketch and the recent Image Expo.

Jesse, I definitely owe you one!

IMGP3968.jpg

I really enjoy Marc's "convention style" sketches. This one is even reminiscent of one of the darklings from The Darkness, which definitely gives it that Silvestri feel. It's a rough sketch, but I really, really dig it!

DarkAvengers1-SilvestriGoblin.jpg

This book caps my initial list. While many boardies have helped me with this collection, there are definitely more than a few books that I definitely would not have if it weren't for a few, so special thanks goes out to those folks...most of whom are formers (don't ask).

Moving forward, I think I'll be letting go of a few of the Goblins that have less sentimental value to me. This will free up not only room but funds for the handful of new artists that I'd like to get (like I said, the list is always expanding). I'll go ahead and call them out since this is the goals thread (also open to suggestions):

• Mark Brooks
  • Mike Deodato (he did the interior art, so this one seems logical)
  • Jim Lee
  • Terry Dodson
  • Adi Granov

Thanks to all who've helped with my obsession! (worship)