• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just bought slabs at 80% off GPA

60 posts in this topic

I'm starting to feel sorry for the sellers when I buy their books for pennies on the dollar.

I bought 2 slabs for 75% to 80% off GPA tonight:

Slab #1

ave GPA $89, last sale $99 (last month), my winning bid $23

Slab #2

ave GPA $57 (one sale), my winning bid $11

Are you kidding me ???????????????????

$11 ??????????????????

The seller is paying CGC $20 just to slab and ship the book.

Only to sell it to me at a $9 loss plus loss of his perfect white page copy.

I love a bargain, but if this keeps happening, there will be no slab seller left on ebay.

ps - sorry if you were the seller of this book :(

I'm surrounded by gypsies, tramps and thieves. And geeks.

:think: Sounds like a Bob Dylan lyric.

Sonny & Cher :baiting:

I would be impressed if they were actually good books that would normally be in demand.

Sorry.

whatever you collect ...... GPA is GPA

I'm not trying to impress with the low price

I'm pointing out how sellers are taking losses on some of these slabs

Or how GPA or CGC has little relevance in most instances...., :whistle:

I'm starting to feel sorry for the sellers when I buy their books for pennies on the dollar.

Slab #1

Slab #2

$11 ??????????????????

I love a bargain, but if this keeps happening, there will be no slab seller left on ebay.

Your just stuck in the '70's dude . :cool:

As for Dylan's lyrical output, the '60s through 2009. :sumo:

As for me being stuck, who's to say? :shrug:

Slab #1

Slab #2

$11 ??????????????????

Sonny & Cher :baiting:

:blush:

I've always wondered what the pointis of slabbing most moderns. There are plenty around and in high grade and worrying about restoration is not really an issue.

For older books CGC helps prevent (not eliminate entirely) arguements about grading and I think they do a pretty good job of checking for restoration. For moderns these are usually not issues. Unless you want the book to be slabbed for display I don't really see the point for moderns.

Then again I have never slabbed a single book in my collection but buy over the past few years have bought slabs for the reasons mentioned above.

So, has the modern crash begun? hm

I bid $50 on a 9.8 copy of book #1 last month and got blown away. Winning bid was $98

Now a few weeks later I win a copy for $23

I don't think it's a crash, it is just the crazy price fluctuations you see in an auction for a post-1980 book

Most likely the only guy left willing to pay the crazy money got his copy for $98. It's likely all downhill from here...

Jim

I am TOTALLY impressed as I always loved those books.

Now all I need is issue #3 to complete the mini-series set

Anyone wanna sell me a 9.8 copy for $11? :jokealert:

Actually, you should be able to get it for around 10 - 20 dollars. According to GPA, issues 1 and 2 are worth around that much, I don't see why issue 3 would be that much more.

Post count at 2222... nice!

I've always wondered what the pointis of slabbing most moderns. There are plenty around and in high grade and worrying about restoration is not really an issue.

I don't consider books from 1980 to be "moderns". They are getting to the borderline, by the 1982-1983 era people were stockpiling mint books in large quantities.

And the stuff from just a couple years earlier, the 1977 to 1979 era is very difficult to find in 9.8 (or even 9.6)

Byrne or not, aren't those books really dollar-bin fodder? I think you got a good deal on them, but honestly, I wouldn't pay more than $20 each for them in 9.8. I think the problem lies with the seller (or submitter more properly) who paid 20x the real value of the books to get them encased in plastic.

Byrne or not, aren't those books really dollar-bin fodder? I think you got a good deal on them, but honestly, I wouldn't pay more than $20 each for them in 9.8. I think the problem lies with the seller (or submitter more properly) who paid 20x the real value of the books to get them encased in plastic.

Yep.

Those books are supply and demand. And the demand is low.

If you won a book that people are actually looking for, I would be surprised.

But realistically, these arent in demand books.

Not to bash your purchase. But these arent exactly books alot of people are searching out.

Yep.

Those books are supply and demand. And the demand is low.

If you won a book that people are actually looking for, I would be surprised.

But realistically, these arent in demand books.

Not to bash your purchase. But these arent exactly books alot of people are searching out.

Yes, these books definitely suck. :blahblah:

I urge everyone not to bid on any bronze age books featuring Batman :whistle:

oh come on, those were good prices to pay! but i wouldn't worship so much at the alter of GPA so much for this sort of book...not a huge sample size and maybe we're talking about a couple of crazy bidders the last time around. what's the GPA average for #1? i guess the thing is, people are going to be loath to pay much more than $25 next time around.

with that said, the #1, there have to be palettes of them in high grade. byrne was a pretty popular artist by then and people were speculating on his stuff. i just remember the stacks and stacks of the last few issues of his x-men run I'd see at local shows in the early 80s.

but heck, it happens. even 3 or 4 years ago I got a swamp thing 27 (2d series) for $9.99 from colossus comics, 9.8, white pages. luck of the bidding. sold it a while later for about $35 or thereabouts.

anyway, you shouldn't feel bad. if sellers protected themselves on this sort of book with a $24.99 or $49.99 opening bid (understanding that reserves scare off a lot of bidders), they wouldn't lose money, other than listing fees. sellers can't complain about low auction results and "giving" their books away if they take the risk of a 99 cent or $9.99 opening bid on something "worth" far more. while one may argue that buyers simply won't pay that...i disagree, to a certain extent. people have gotten spoiled snagging these "deals", if there are less to go around they'll just adjust to that and have diminished expectations.

ebay should probably do away with disclosing that there is a reserve on a book. when i watch auctions on tv (cash in the attic, etc.) i never see the auctioneer say, in advance, that there's a reserve. maybe it says so in the catalogue, i don't know.

Nice pick-ups! :applause:

Must be something in the air, because I also managed to get lucky on a similar 1980s book last week - Web of Spider-man #18, CGC 9.8 / white pages. Between it's "manufactured" key status (uncredited 1st Venom in shadows) and the mostly black cover, it's the most expensive book in the title and was trading hands for over $500 at one point. I snagged a copy for $60, which is less than half the previous GPA low, and well under the then 12-month average of $277.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky or whether it's the economy. I'm tempted to just chalk it up to extreme price variability or over-supply / low demand.