• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's more important the sketch or the condition or both?????

95 posts in this topic

After striking deals with many of you on the boards and my dealings on ebay I was wondering how you all fee about this topic. Say a sketch comes up for sale and it's a artist you have always wanted and the sketch is killer, but the grade is say a 9.0 or a 9.2.

Do you pull the trigger?

I'm of the mind set that it's almost all about the sketch. I'd love to pull nothing but 9.8 with sick sketches, but if a sketch crosses my path that is drop dead I pull the trigger almost every time.

I'd love to hear how you all feel.

i agree its all about the sketch!

i got a few 9.8's but i have two 9.0's but i love the sketches and who there by Perez and Ult 100. My bachalo ended up 9.6 but that didnt bother me cause the sketch is killer, for sketches only a couple of people are really 9.8 kings cough*FRED*cough lol

unfortunately i found out recently that a Ken Branch sketch that I LOVE got an 8.5 because there was some ink that got onto the spine or something but its a wicked sketch even though the grade is bad:

DSC03786.jpg

the way i see it as long as the grade is high enough so the presentation of the cover looks really nice its all good, a 9.0 cover if it wasnt slabbed looks beautiful, so it doesnt affect the sketch, but if its 5.0 and all broken up then it detracts from the sketch

Hmmm I would say both..but it also depends on the sketch and the blank cover. If it's rare blank cover, like the Euro Batman then I would say grade is not an issue. But if it's common blank, like secret invasion, then at least a 9.4 :)

for example Raph (Oneasian) recently posted a pic of a Joe Simon sketch that could have been his, it was around 5.0 and really banged up and really detracted from the art, this stuff is OA would you buy OA thats ripped? crumpled corners or small stuff is fine, so yea i would say 9.0-9.8 is amazing, but 8.5 isnt that bad depending on the artist and like adonis said the book, remember that none of the Ulitmate spider-man 100's got a 9.8 and the majority were 9.2 and lower going to 5.5 but their still collectors items and many were really badass sketches so its worth it, im sure that McFarlane was 9.0 or lower

No, I disagree. sketches..9.0 or higher.. imagine an Adams sketch from 1971..that would be siiiiiiiiiick !! Guess nowadays, anything lower than 9.4 is a cuss word..

Picky collectors!

I can see why for the wolverine by Ramos but, by Tucci? His absolute best ..latest is the one #6, that one was wayyy cool..wonderlad i think..that is Tuci at his best..

My 2c

Guess nowadays, anything lower than 9.4 is a cuss word..

Based on this statement, there will be at least a handful of people on this list who will own some F-bombs in a week or two.

1.NYComics

2.NYComics

3.SecretSon

4.PeterPalmer

5.ComicJunkie

6.Makmorn

7.Tropean

8. Chespirito

9. DesertwindComics

10.? Whoever the lucky winner is.

As Sean said, several of them are coming back as 9.0's. I say we ask the same question when we see who gets what grade and see if some of these sketch collectors talk the talk AND walk the walk.

Arjuna, I've got you in a PM asking me what I would sell one of my sketches for "provided it got a 9.6 or a 9.8". I'm totally willing to sell sketches I get before grades are in Mr. "grades don't matter". :baiting:

Fred, If the sketch is all that matters, why were you so anxious to hear the grades of the Moore sketch and why get so excited when it got a 9.8? (shrug) You already had the scan to appreciate. :baiting:

I'm not saying that I don't care about the grade at all. To me, a 9.8 on a sketch is a cherry on top of the sundae. It means that the people who made the sketch possible (owner/witness/artist) carefully handled the book throughout the entire process. It's like a badge of honor. Below a 9.8, it's all the same to me. I've got a 9.6 coming in soon that's easily one of my favorite sketches EVER! :banana:

Sean hit the nail on the head when he said a lower grade only hurts if you're selling on ebay. I LOVE seeing non-9.8 sketches on ebay! It means I have less competition when bidding for some reason that is completely beyond me.

For me, a fair estimate is that it's 95% sketch, 5% grade with this 5% made up of the 9.8 "badge of honor" I 'mentioned earlier. I'm just saying that even in my experience with a few of you in this thread that it's not "all about the sketch" as you claim. I only singled out Fred and Arjuna because they're good buddies of mine and I know they can take a little ribbing once in a while. :foryou: