• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic collecting software for Apple Computer

21 posts in this topic

Not unless you have a Windows Parallel program... but then you defeat the purpose of owning a Mac by exposing yourself to all of those wonderful Windows-based viruses.

I just used a basic Excel spreadsheet and it has worked well enough for me.

Not unless you have a Windows Parallel program... but then you defeat the purpose of owning a Mac by exposing yourself to all of those wonderful Windows-based viruses.

I just used a basic Excel spreadsheet and it has worked well enough for me.

Right now I use Iworks spreadsheet it works ok, was just hoping for a comic program with pictures and info.

I totally agree I want no signs of windows on my mac

thanks for the post & help

:)

Believe me, I'd love it if there was a program for my Mac as well--perhaps the one real downside to Macs is the slightly limited and higher price for software.

On the other hand, if you don't mind using an online database, there are sites like CPG.com that you can use for a monthly subscription. There's another a member here recently posted as well, but I don't believe it included prices. The thread's only a few days old so it shouldn't be hard to find and I believe his was free.

Believe me, I'd love it if there was a program for my Mac as well--perhaps the one real downside to Macs is the slightly limited and higher price for software.

On the other hand, if you don't mind using an online database, there are sites like CPG.com that you can use for a monthly subscription. There's another a member here recently posted as well, but I don't believe it included prices. The thread's only a few days old so it shouldn't be hard to find and I believe his was free.

I hope that in the future there will be one program for the mac.

did you ever use a windows machine

There's another a member here recently posted as well, but I don't believe it included prices. The thread's only a few days old so it shouldn't be hard to find and I believe his was free.

Here you go (thumbs u

I used to use PC for YEARS. Gateway and Dell were the computers I used to use; both desktop and laptop models. I also used to use Macs in high school and college for the yearbook and newspaper programs, but they were expensive and limited on software which kept me away. After going through enough machines, however, I figured it'd actually be cheaper in the long run to own one computer for 5+ years than one computer which would need to be replaced every 1-1.5 years (which was about the average). Sure, I don't really play video games anymore because they're too pricey, but then again, I also don't have the same amount of free time that I used to play those games, so it's worked out well enough for me.

I used to use PC for YEARS. Gateway and Dell were the computers I used to use; both desktop and laptop models. I also used to use Macs in high school and college for the yearbook and newspaper programs, but they were expensive and limited on software which kept me away. After going through enough machines, however, I figured it'd actually be cheaper in the long run to own one computer for 5+ years than one computer which would need to be replaced every 1-1.5 years (which was about the average). Sure, I don't really play video games anymore because they're too pricey, but then again, I also don't have the same amount of free time that I used to play those games, so it's worked out well enough for me.

me too , the mac is just nice

you can use the Windowze Parallel platform just fine w/o virus fears by never going online thru the Windozs partition. Never use email there nor web of any kind. Which, if youre on a Mac, you wouldnt anyway since all your internet related software (mail safari) are already part of your Mac computing experience.

So loading Parallels and just the Windows comic database you want should be fine. Unless it needs to download data off the internet for some reason. That might open you up to issues.

you could try this

Comics2

http://www.xidiar.com/comics/

haven't tried it myself but saw your post and thought that macs have everything and i don't wanna have to use parallels to pretend my macs are pc's :sick:

Has anyone tried this program before?

it's shareware so you can try before you buy

i am trying it now, seem to be a bit fiddly

you could try this

Comics2

http://www.xidiar.com/comics/

haven't tried it myself but saw your post and thought that macs have everything and i don't wanna have to use parallels to pretend my macs are pc's :sick:

Macs have always had far fewer software programs written for it, but, in the final analysis. its only missing the most specific genres of software for which the developers focussed their resources in only writing for the larger Windows platform. The longtime misconception grew that as a result, Macs had very little software. But while say 20% of ALL software was written for Macs, 95% of the most common popular or usable software was available cross platform all along.

anyway, I use a database. Ive never found the storebought software applicable to my collection. And there has never been the perfect system that does it all easily. Maintaining your comics database is lots of work entering the data you want to compile, and that can add up to dozens of fields for each comic that must have an entry. I have found that cretng large numbers of entries in Excel to import into the database works best because you can copy cells quickly and more easily for genre, publisher issue# etc

The other option is just to use the built-in BootCamp on your Mac and run Windows for when you need the full resources of the system.

I use Parallels and VMWare Fusion for Mac/PC Virtualization, run ComicBase and have no problems whatsoever (but plenty of benefits).